Curling and flat irons in Italy, Greece and on Princess

Hollyann

I would like to bring my flat iron and curling iron to Athens for 3 days pre-cruise, on the Sun Princess for two weeks, and then to Rome for 3 days post-cruise. I do not see them on the prohibited list for Princess cruise line and have been able to use them just fine on RCCL, Norwegian, etc. in the past so I am assuming it is fine to bring them on the ship. 

My question is about using them in Europe. I know I need at least an adapter, but am wondering if I need a converter too.  I looked carefully at both my flat iron and my curling iron and do not see a 120/220 type notation on the plug even though they are both less than five years old and a brand name. Will they need a converter?

Flat irons are listed on Princess' prohibited items list here.  When we used to cruise that line, irons were available in the laundry room.

Check for power requirement on the item itself or operating manual.  We haven't used a power converter for years and when we did they did not work well.  Perhaps they're better now.  My DW purchased a dual-voltage hair dryer for international travel that has worked well.

• Like 1

I don't use either BUT even with a power converter, they may NOT work. Managed a luggage store for years and lots of customers complaining that they would not work even with converter.  We also sold dual voltage hair dryers (you can find flat irons too).  I'd suggest snagging those if you'll be doing a lot international travel going forward.

You can google your items and see if they're dual voltage if they aren't marked but they should be as they're fairly new.

• Like 1

None of the dual voltage products work well, they simply reduce the amount of power so they run at lower levels.  Even with a voltage converter you won't get the same performance from your unit that you do at home, and you risk burning it out.

The best solution is to purchase a flat iron upon arrival in Greece, it's the only way to consistently get full use of the product.

Hair dryers will be provided by the cruise line and your hotel in Greece, though they also may not deliver the power you are accustomed to at home.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

None of the dual voltage products work well

My DW has used the BaBylissPRO hair dryer pictured below and purchased at Amazon since December 2017.  She wouldn't be without it when traveling internationally.  If it didn't work well, I'd know about it.

image.thumb.png.1f9c33b04d35c7ae86d18f28f5d1302b.png

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. Lew I thought I read the list of prohibited items on Princess carefully, but sure enough, flat irons are on the list just over 1/2 way down😱  So even though there is a Target one block from our hotel when we arrive in Athens, I cannot buy one and bring it on the ship?  It does not say anything about curling irons though.  Maybe because they do not get as hot?? 

12 minutes ago, Hollyann said:

So even though there is a Target one block from our hotel when we arrive in Athens, I cannot buy one and bring it on the ship?

Yes, you can.  However, it may be taken and held for you until the evening before disembarkation.

• Like 1

Just for clarification - when you say flat iron you mean a hair straightener, yes?  Not a clothing iron?  (I think there's a little miscommunication here as the flat iron prohibited is under laundry. I know traditionally irons for laundry are also referred to as flat irons.)

If it's for hair, you should have no problem.  As you'll have time, and I hope many more opportunities to use, I highly recommend buying the products locally.  As already mentioned, with a dual voltage it will work, but not as good as you're used to.  In the event you use your current product, you'll need an adapter and converter, but even then, you may still blow it up.  (Read the fine print on the converter and it will normally tell you, "Not recommended".) 

I purchased a 220-voltage hair dryer and flat iron years ago when I was staying for an extended land trip, and its one less thing I have to worry about.  Plus, the whole extended family knows about them, and are often borrowed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Girr said:

I purchased a 220-voltage hair dryer and flat iron years ago when I was staying for an extended land trip, and its one less thing I have to worry about.  Plus, the whole extended family knows about them, and are often borrowed. 

Yes, it's really easier to have them for future travel.

Are we by any chance related to the same people?  That borrowing thing sounds very, very familiar ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Girr said:

Just for clarification - when you say flat iron you mean a hair straightener, yes?  Not a clothing iron?  (I think there's a little miscommunication here as the flat iron prohibited is under laundry. I know traditionally irons for laundry are also referred to as flat irons.)

If it's for hair, you should have no problem.  As you'll have time, and I hope many more opportunities to use, I highly recommend buying the products locally.  As already mentioned, with a dual voltage it will work, but not as good as you're used to.  In the event you use your current product, you'll need an adapter and converter, but even then, you may still blow it up.  (Read the fine print on the converter and it will normally tell you, "Not recommended".) 

Girr thank you very much for the explanation!  Yes, the flat iron and curling iron are both for my hair.  I did not "get" that the flat iron that they were talking about in the prohibited items meant the iron for your clothes.  I thought it was odd because I know I had brought them on most if not all of the other four cruise lines that I have sailed with in the past.  Whew!  I will plan on buying one if not both for my hair at Target or somewhere similar when we arrive in Athens.

And like Lew pointed out, worse case scenario, if they do confiscate it, I can use it for the 3 days prior and after.  We are going on the new Sun Princess, so I am hopeful that their electrical can handle it.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Hollyann said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. Lew I thought I read the list of prohibited items on Princess carefully, but sure enough, flat irons are on the list just over 1/2 way down😱  So even though there is a Target one block from our hotel when we arrive in Athens, I cannot buy one and bring it on the ship?  It does not say anything about curling irons though.  Maybe because they do not get as hot?? 

There is a Target in Athens GA, and Greece Ridge NY, but there are no Target stores in Europe. There are a couple of Euronics shops in Athens, and they will have hair appliances. Larger supermarkets will have them, too, and shops that sell other domestic appliances. 

• Like 1

My goodness thank you both. I definitely need to EMBRACE the culture! There I was assuming that Target was our Target.  🤪  Plus, I just discovered that we will arrive on May 1 - their Labor Day so all tourist attractions, museums, larger shops, etc. will be closed for the day. Thankfully restaurants are expected to be open and we are arriving a couple of days prior to our cruise.  Girr thanks so much for the assist with stores and lisiamc thanks for getting me on the correct course!  I am starting to look at the shopping as an adventure.  🤗

On 8/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, -Lew- said:

My DW has used the BaBylissPRO hair dryer pictured below and purchased at Amazon since December 2017.  She wouldn't be without it when traveling internationally.  If it didn't work well, I'd know about it.

image.thumb.png.1f9c33b04d35c7ae86d18f28f5d1302b.png

Do you still to use a converter with this?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Do you still to use a converter with this?

No, the one she has is dual voltage.  I believe the link I provided is for the single voltage model...sorry about that.

A hair flat iron is permitted on Princess, you will have no problem with that. 

HOWEVER, do not try to use a US flat iron with a convertor or adapter in Europe.  I learned from experience pre-cruise one time that you will short it out.  I did this in Copenhagen pre-cruise.  I ended up buying a flat iron from a salon or department store at our first port stop.  Keep in mind if you buy one there, it will have a European two prong plug.  So now I have one for trips abroad!    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, -Lew- said:

No, the one she has is dual voltage.  I believe the link I provided is for the single voltage model...sorry about that.

No worries.  Do you have a link for the one she has?  I must take a hair dryer and I have no intention of taking the time to hunt one down in Athens.

Any thoughts on this one working in Europe?  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.  This is our 1st trip to Europe, so this is all new for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Worldwide-Voltage-Technology-Folding/dp/B07HB2ZRNJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2MM5CI3LYMHX4&keywords=European+hair+dryer&qid=1693356074&sprefix=european+hair+dryer%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-5#customerReviews

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have the older version of this and I like it very much. That said, I’ve learned to make do with hotel and cruise provided dryers when available rather than take one more thing.

I get it.  I always take my own.  One, I have plenty of room to take it, but also, I have had many issues with hotel dryers, so I learned not to depend on those.  I do not want to waste precious vaca time hunting down or waiting on an employee to bring me a new one. 😄

• Like 1

Years ago, I tried to use an American 110v electric shaver in Athens with a converter. It literally blew up in my hand and set fire to the shower curtain in the bathroom. While waiting for the paramedics to take me to the hospital, I learned the Greek word for "idiot." After that, I bought appliances in Europe for use there.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, Langoustine said:

Years ago, I tried to use an American 110v electric shaver in Athens with a converter. It literally blew up in my hand and set fire to the shower curtain in the bathroom. While waiting for the paramedics to take me to the hospital, I learned the Greek word for "idiot." After that, I bought appliances in Europe for use there.

Yikes!  That solidifies my choice to buy a European curling iron in Athens!

• Haha 1

A curling iron may work with a converter without any problems. What I discovered after my mishap is that there is a difference between the U.S. and Europe not only in voltage but also in CPS (now called HZ) that can affect electric motors--in my case, badly. Someone with more electrical knowledge can probably explain it,

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1