Possible to tour Martha's Vineyard from Boston port stop?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm on a Caribbean Princess Canada / New England with a stop in Boston on Sept 21.  The port time is 11 am - 8 pm.  Is there any chance of being able to go to Martha's Vineyard and tour the painted houses?  I'm doubting it based on looking at tour times, but still wanted to ask.  I would be very worried about getting back to the ship due to traffic etc, but this was one of my main goals when I went to Boston for a week, and it was rained out.  Thanks for any info.

I wouldn't try it. There's too many variables including drive time to and from the ferry in Hyannis, ferry schedule, and returning to Black Falcon Terminal in rush hour. If port time is 11-8, you probably don't get off until 11.30 and have to board at 7.00 or so. If everything goes right, you may have an hour tops. It s matter of too much risk and too little reward. And it doesn't take into account you are getting to and from the ferry.

4 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

The port time is 11 am - 8 pm.  Is there any chance of being able to go to Martha's Vineyard and tour the painted houses?

The short answer is no. You would have far too many variables that could cause you to miss the ship even if you had a longer port stop. And then the fact that you have a shorter port stop. 

4 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I would be very worried about getting back to the ship due to traffic etc, but this was one of my main goals when I went to Boston for a week, and it was rained out.  Thanks for any info.

Traffic wouldn't really be the issue here-- the only possible way you could make this work is to take a Cape Air flight from Boston Logan to the airport on Martha's Vineyard. Cape Air operates small twin prop Cessnas and is lovingly/jokingly referred to those who use them as Cape Scare. You would not have time to drive to and take the ferry both ways. 

I would not attempt this.  

Edited by princeton123211
spelling