La Spezia vs Livorno

RJChatsworth

We have just been advised by Cunard that our QE visit to Livorno in mid October has been cancelled and replaced by La Spezia.  Anyone got any thoughts about La Spezia?  We haven’t been there before and we are reluctant to take a Cunard trip to places like Lucca when we haven’t been to La Spezia before.  Many thanks.

10 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

We have just been advised by Cunard that our QE visit to Livorno in mid October has been cancelled and replaced by La Spezia.  Anyone got any thoughts about La Spezia?  We haven’t been there before and we are reluctant to take a Cunard trip to places like Lucca when we haven’t been to La Spezia before.  Many thanks.

La Spezia is a delightful town to wonder around. If you want to go further, there are ferries that leave from the sea front for short trips. Infinitely nicer than Livorno.

18 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

What date in October is your cruise? We just came back from the Baltics to find our paid for excursion to an Italian farm house lunch on the 10/23 was cancelled and refunded. Are they changing ports?

La Spezia is a great jumping off point for a day of visiting the Cinque Terre.  La Spezia Centrale is a short train ride to the 5 villages, all of which are connected by a walking path.  Each of the oceanside villages has their own character and would be a wonderful way to get away from the crowds for a relaxing day.  

1 hour ago, tony s said:

What date in October is your cruise? We just came back from the Baltics to find our paid for excursion to an Italian farm house lunch on the 10/23 was cancelled and refunded. Are they changing ports?

Yes, Livorno to La Spezia on 26th October 2023.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

QE's originally scheduled call to Livorno on 12th October 2023 has also been changed to La Spezia.

My Mrs and I will be on this sailing and got an email stating the change just today. We have not yet decided if we want to just see the sights in La Spezia or take a trip out from there.

The reason given for changing to La Specia from Livorno on 26th October is that the berth in Livorno is no longer available.  What on earth does that mean?  I can think of numerous reasons from the berth has been damaged to some other line has offered more money to berth there etc.  I wonder if the same argument has been used on other dates?

We have been to Livorno so many times we are looking forward to going to La Spezia for the first time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mobilemac said:

La Spezia is a great jumping off point for a day of visiting the Cinque Terre.  La Spezia Centrale is a short train ride to the 5 villages, all of which are connected by a walking path.  Each of the oceanside villages has their own character and would be a wonderful way to get away from the crowds for a relaxing day.  

There is no way that going to the CT will get you away from the crowds or be relaxing!  The area suffers from massive over-tourism, especially when the cruise ships are in.  At peak times the trains are so crowded you can’t always get on, and some of the small villages have been known to have queue just to start walking (shuffling) down the narrow main street

The usual complaint is ships switched from Spezia to Livorno, making it a longer trip to the CT.  My recommendation would be to go see Lucca, or alternatively the maritime museum in Spezia is excellent, there’s a characterful covered market, and some good shopping.  The gardens laid out by the waterfront are pleasant.  Spezia is light on historical character, having been the principal Italian naval base during WWII and suffered a lot of bombing.

Edited by IB2

I have to admit we haven't visited the CT in 10 years, so I'm disappointed to read it has changed so much.  Depending on your viewpoint, I guess you can either thank or blame Rick Steves, who has promoted the CT in his Back Door books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mobilemac said:

I have to admit we haven't visited the CT in 10 years, so I'm disappointed to read it has changed so much.  Depending on your viewpoint, I guess you can either thank or blame Rick Steves, who has promoted the CT in his Back Door books.

Rick Steves is a menace.

• Haha 1

FYI, for anyone sailing on the October 9th sailing from Barcelona and is curious about our new October 12th port times, I just spoke with a Cunard agent and we are currently scheduled to be in La Spezia from 7am to 7pm with an all aboard time of 6:30pm. Lots of time to explore!

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 2

We are on the sailing commencing the 9th Oct and this change is good for us as we have not been to La Spezia before but have been to Livorno many times, this will not be the case for everyone we know. What puzzles me is that Cunard has lost it's berth on the 26th Oct, when according to CruiseMapper MSC Magnifica is the only other ship in port on that day but there are 3 berths in Livorno.