Jewelry

Denali2003

Hello.  I will be visiting St. Thomas on a cruise in a few months.  I am looking for a specific ring.  However, I want to AVOID the major chain jewelry stores, especially the ones that practically pull you off the street and hound you to go into their stores.  Are there any small, non-pushy jewelry stores near Havensight and Crown Bay?  Maybe not right at the port, but a short ride / walk from there.  Thank you 🙂

37 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

Hello.  I will be visiting St. Thomas on a cruise in a few months.  I am looking for a specific ring.  However, I want to AVOID the major chain jewelry stores, especially the ones that practically pull you off the street and hound you to go into their stores.  Are there any small, non-pushy jewelry stores near Havensight and Crown Bay?  Maybe not right at the port, but a short ride / walk from there.  Thank you 🙂

You named all the sights except for the main strip in St. Tom's where all the shops are located.

Good Hunting... We know all the major locations also u talk about.

Is it a specific designer ring? Some designer brands are sold exclusively to specific stores so you have no choice but to go to those stores.

At Havensight I bought from Glitters, because they had what I wanted, and my friend bought similar from another store Milano, I think, which is across from Caribana. It's a bigger store with clothes, liquor, jewelry, etc.

11 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

Is it a specific designer ring? Some designer brands are sold exclusively to specific stores so you have no choice but to go to those stores.

I'm actually looking for a Pink Sapphire (or a pink stone).  I don't want Effy, Diamonds International, etc.  The last time I was at St. Thomas, 99% of the stores we walked past, there were SO many pushy sales people, that it made our visit there, less than happy.  We did not go into those stores, because of their pushiness. 

Edited by Denali2003

On 8/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, Ms411 said:

I know how you feel. Glitters is popular with locals so they get plenty of repeat customers.

I saw an ad for pink stone jewelry recently because of the Barbie movie. It may have come to my email.

I am not wanting a pink ring because of Barbie.  I have not seen the movie, nor will I see it.  I have been wanting a pink sapphire (ish) ring for the last 10 years.  Haven't been able to find one I like or can afford.  I don't like the big flashy rings.  I like simple stones/settings.  Can't seem to find simple anymore.

I'm only saying there should be more available because of the movie.

I agree with you on simple. They put those microscopic diamonds on everything so they can jack up the price. It turned me off on buying fine jewelry. You might have better luck with a custom jeweler. I usually go to the one in town near Gold Corner on the Waterfront. I don't know if he has access to stones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have bought some blue diamonds from Bliss Jewelers a couple of times.  Super nice, non pushy people, and they will send you a Christmas card every year for the rest of your life!  LOL  I think I have gotten one about 20 years in a row!  

We are very fortunate in that we have a friend who makes jewelry. But we’ve purchased many of the settings and stones and have learned a lot about that part of it. 

One note in regards to affordability, and the options now available today - lab-grown diamonds. They are visually indistinguishable from the finest natural diamonds, and much less expensive. One source is lightbox.com, where you will find white, blue, and pink diamonds, set and loose. Just another option for pink stones and rings.

My wife purchased several smaller natural pink sapphire stones to accent a diamond ring, and buying natural stones “direct” is sooo much less expensive than buying retail of course - you get so much better quality at a lower price. Not everyone has a jewelry maker at their disposal, but there are several reputable sites that offer rings and other jewelry with high quality natural and lab-grown diamonds, sapphires, and other stones. 

In years past she had bought jewelry in the Carib, including STT. Her trusted shop is no longer there, and I know she would strongly advise against DI and similar stores. We both can attest to the quality of materials - and as important - workmanship, in a Hook Bracelet purchased at St John Bracelets if interested in that one day…

But if interested, compare prices of a lab-grown pink diamond ring to a natural pink sapphire ring by Googling reputable lab-grown diamond sources. Pink diamonds are quite similar to pink sapphires except they are more brilliant. At least you will have more knowledge or info before looking in these stores…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 2

"Don't give a pleasant shopping experience"? It's terrible. I looked at a gold bracelet at Cardow in '96, next thing I know it's on my wrist and it's not coming off until I pay for it, she wouldn't take it off🫤. I felt so bad for this sales lady I went ahead and bought it because I knew she wasn't going to let me leave the store without it. I didn't need another gold bracelet.😳

Love Riise though. It's my favorite liquor store. I used to buy bottles of Moet White Star there back in the day, for $29(US), best deal ever. 

Raise doesn't have the liquor selection they used to have. Sad. I went to Frugal McDougal in SC a few years ago, and was overwhelmed with all the liquor.

Most people buy White Hennessey when they visit, and most stores sell it. The VI now has Mutiny Vodka, Botany Bay Rum, and maybe Hamilton and Lafayette rum (long story), for people who want a limited distribution liquor. The craft beers and flavored seltzers are very popular now. I saw some kind of weed derivative beverage at St John Brewers, but forgot name and what it's called. 

I love Frugal McDougal's off the Carowinds exit in SC, I used to stop by there all the time on the way to Myrtle Beach!! It's right off the exit. 

That weedie derived beer sounds yummy and right up my alley. It's becoming very popular. 

Weed infused anything is becoming increasingly popular. It's not just me dang it. 

Mutiny Vodka I won't miss out on that next time. The cruise lines have been a bit sticky about how much liquor you can bring back on the ship personally.

I only take a bottle back it's never been problem getting 1 maybe 2 bottles of whatever back to my cabin. Thanks 

If I can find the picture of the beer, I'll post it. I took a picture to remind myself to Google it when I got home, but may have deleted it.

I think I posted pictures of the Painkillers in the can. That's a really good drink from Pusser's. I gave some as an anniversary gift to someone who was visiting. They created them especially for enjoying at the beach.😊

I'll tell you what KILLED me last vacation $5.50 a pop Stella's. It was like that from Ft. Lauderdale all the way down $5.50 a pop. I find it very difficult to sit on and not drink a cold brewski lots of them on the beach anywhere.

In my case a six-pack just piss me off. 

A six-pack doesn't even clean the cob-webs out from the night before. 

The bar tabs down there pretty much on any island can just hammer your credit card. I know it's my vacation and I've allotted money for it but still when I get home and my credit card balance is out in LA LA land that's when reality sinks in.🙁

That sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, Ms411 said:

There's a jewelry store on Main Street that sells lab grown diamonds. I'll see if I can find the name and post it later.

If they are loose stones (or in settings) be sure to compare prices, and especially quality. Quality does vary in the lab grown offerings. 

Bluewater's post reminded me to check the lab grown store. Was in town today, and it was closed, but it's Little Switzerland's lab grown brand. Engrace, I think. There are postings if you google lab grown diamonds St Thomas.

On 10/11/2023 at 3:14 PM, Ms411 said:

Bluewater's post reminded me to check the lab grown store. Was in town today, and it was closed, but it's Little Switzerland's lab grown brand. Engrace, I think. There are postings if you google lab grown diamonds St Thomas.

Wow…The Engrace prices are more than double a source we’ve used, plus the Diamond quality is inferior!

An example - Engrace ~2 ct necklace = $8,000. Color is “J”, which has some color, and clarity is “VS2 (very slight)”.

A similar 2 ct necklace from Lightbox is $3,600 Color is D E F (colorless), and clarity is “VVS1+” (very very slight or better).

Per Google there are several lab-grown sources in STT and other Carib ports, and from this example it’s clear how important research and knowledge is - if you want quality, and at a competitive price…

Good luck!