Antarctica excursions on Zaandam

boursiquot

We did a review of our SA cruise from last fall.

It only covers about half of what you'll be seeing -  from Florida to Buenos Aires (but not the Antarctic), but it will give you some idea of the tours we went on and the various sights along the way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I agree.  If it is in budget HAL does use the top of the line options for their overland excursions 

Open bar Pisco Sours in the caboose bar car with music on the trip back down the mountain on the Howard Bingham train. Things got a bit rowdy.  Or maybe they were just giddy from the higher elevation? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Open bar Pisco Sours in the caboose bar car with music on the trip back down the mountain on the Howard Bingham train. Things got a bit rowdy.  Or maybe they were just giddy from the higher elevation? 

Funny

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I did Macchu on a separate trip on my own with private guide but I have used HAL elsewhere and have been pleased with the service and the premium travel arrangements.  They aren’t cheap but they are very good. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, boursiquot said:

I’m taking a 73 day cruise to Antarctica on Holland America Zaandam, 10/7/23-12/1923. I need suggestions on excursions to take at the different ports we will be stopping at and also best excursions in Antarctica.

HAL use to offer a very expensive tour with a landing on Antarctica both of the times that we went on the Zaandam with the last time being 2218/2019 . The flight was from Punta Arenas .

whogo

A "New, Unique, 'Once in a Lifetime' Adventure!" was listed as an 11.5 hour shore excursion from Punta Arenas, Chile during our Veendam Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro cruise. Only $3399 for a 2.5 hour flight to Chilean Air Force Eduardo Frei Base. A zodiac tour to a neighboring island (at an additional charge?) was listed. We did not book it. The tour was cancelled for unknown reasons, perhaps because of lack of interest.

In the event that the flight didn't go ( the weather can be notorious at this time of the year and latitude ) . A substitute to Torres del Paine was given at about half the price with the difference credited to your account . We have been to Torres twice . Once from the cruise ship excursion and once when we stayed in Patagonia on our own before a cruise to Antarctica in 2018/2019 . We would highly recommend that you splurge for this one , as it was our favorite HAL excursion . It sounds like a great cruise that we we have jumped on but we are very committed to Iceland in May with a stay and a big cruise there . Have a great cruise !

Yes they offered this flight from Punta Arenas to Antarctica in 2020 as well. Unfortunately it was cancelled and an alternative excursion was offered. Check HAL website for excursions in Puerta Arenas if this is still available. But be prepared if it does not go. 

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

Yes they offered this flight from Punta Arenas to Antarctica in 2020 as well. Unfortunately it was cancelled and an alternative excursion was offered. Check HAL website for excursions in Puerta Arenas if this is still available. But be prepared if it does not go. 

This is a photo of the Cuernos del Paine or Paine Horns where Igneous and Metamorphic rock interface but is not the Torres ( Towers ) with are made of steep Granite .

Cuernos del Paine

This is where we had lunch on our excursion from Punta Arenas

These are the Torres ( towers of granite )

HELLO_4_HELLO_RTD_The-Torres-del-Paine.jpg?auto=format,enhance,compress&fit=crop&crop=entropy,faces,focalpoint&w=1200&h=720&q=50

If the flight to Antarctica is cancelled then this is where they would go to . We hope that @boursiquot and others that are interested in what we feel is the most beautiful part of the World (i.e. Patagonia and Antarctica ) will click on our photographic thread posted below .

We spent 9 days in Patagonia and 22 days on the Zaandam cruising to Antarctica .

• Like 1