Antarctica excursions on Zaandam

boursiquot

There are no "excursions" in Antarctica on HAL ships. Did you think otherwise when you signed up for this extensive time onboard?  It can still be a fabulous "drive-by" experience even if you don't land on the continent.  The rest of the ports on this journey around South America are pretty terrific. Much more low-key than other destinations.  Wait until you see the listed shore excursions and see what appeals to you.  

If you are traversing western South America (you did not mention your 73 day itinerary), getting up to speed on the  pre-Columbian history of this area and the layers of incredible prior civilizations and their remaining historic sites today will be well worth the effort.

• Like 1

I would check out the South America board, as it looks like you are doing a SA circumnavigation from FLL. There’s lots of info there on tours to see penguins, things to do in Buenos Aires, Lima, etc. 

You may also get value from the Panama Canal forum. 

we cruised South America with HAL earlier this year and enjoyed penguin excusión to Bluff Cove on the Falkland Islands but there are many.  If you are using the web browser to “manage my trip” on the HAL website, you can read reviews of past cruisers experiences with HALs official excursions.  The descriptions in the navigator app don’t provide reviews. I take them with a grain of salt but they are helpful. 

since you are only a few months out I wouldn’t delay, especially in the Falklands or other popular places where vehicles and guides may limit tour capacity, so best of luck and get to reserving! 😉

• Like 2

We did the Antarctica January 2023 on the Oosterdam.  Volunteer Point excursion is amazing.  Not sure what ports you are visiting. ..  or what your interests are.  If you email me May be better to have a conversation?  Let me know if you are interested,   We also sailed around Cape Horn on the Zaandam in 2015.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You need to check out the ports of call boards for your ports.

How do I do that? I'm new to Cruise Critics and having much difficulty trying to navigate the site. I'm a senior and not good at this tech stuff. 

• Like 1

It's easy.  When you go to the CC boards, you scroll down to Roll Calls.  You find the cruise line you are cruising on, click on that.  then find the ship you are cruising on.  You'll see Zaandam and can click on October.  Voila, there will probably be a very active roll call for this cruise and you can post directly on the roll call with your questions.  Good luck and have a great cruise.  Cherie

• Like 1

Here is your roll call - Link -Grand South America - very, very active so just jump in and introduce yourself. Best is to scroll backwards when you read the pages of messages this roll call already has. 

We did both the South America cruise, the Antarctic cruise and went back for even more on the first Maasdam In-Depth cruise on our way to Easter Island - and we would easily go back to any of these ports again. 

You are in for a great cruise.  

1 hour ago, boulders said:

@boursiquot Click on this link to find the discussion about your cruise. Grand South America roll call  For Port Stanley, I highly recommend a Volunteer Point excursion with Estancia Excursions

Hi, I'm so happy to hear you recommending Estancia-Excursions.  We booked with Nyree and are really looking forward to the adventure.  Cherie

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If you check out the roll call for the Grand South America 2023 people were giving great details about shore excursions 

This is the best answer.  The roll call is here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2871117-zaandam-october-7-2023-grand-south-america/

With money to burn, I would think you would want to consider overnight trips to Machu Picchu and/or the Galapagos and/or a flight to view the Nazca lines.

I thought Valparaiso was a fascinating city, steep streets, funiculars, you could take a walking tour there during your San Antonio stop.

• Like 2

Great suggestions for me to consider. I will definitely check them out. I’ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchu, but I think it was closed because of some political unrest. I’ll do my research. I will definitely check out that ValParaiso.

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Here is your roll call - Link -Grand South America - very, very active so just jump in and introduce yourself. Best is to scroll backwards when you read the pages of messages this roll call already has. 

We did both the South America cruise, the Antarctic cruise and went back for even more on the first Maasdam In-Depth cruise on our way to Easter Island - and we would easily go back to any of these ports again. 

You are in for a great cruise.  

6 minutes ago, boursiquot said:

You are so resourceful. Thank you for all of your great tips and for shepherding me through this process. Keep it coming

All you have to do in return is to promise to write a daily blog while on your cruise. (!!!)

(Not really)

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, boursiquot said:

Great suggestions for me to consider. I will definitely check them out. I’ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchu, but I think it was closed because of some political unrest. I’ll do my research. I will definitely check out that ValParaiso.

It has reopened.   I went last year right before it closed, and I will tell you…if you have always wanted to go, and you think you might not have the opportunity again…and you can afford it…GO.  GO GO GO GO.   It is all that and a bag of chips.   You will not regret it.   Not just the site, but the train ride through some of the most mind bogglingly beautiful scenery anywhere.  All of it.   

also…if you can afford it and it doesn’t conflict with MP, I second the Nazca lines.   I went there on the same trip and…they are SO COOL.  Unless you really are freaked out by very small planes banking at really odd angles.  

(I did not go on cruise excursions however,I went on a high end (as in  we stayed at the JW Marriott in Cuzco - I don’t do hostels 😉 ) small group  tour to the sacred valley - with two visits to MP - and then on my own to Nazca.   If you can only do one, go to the lines and I’ll give you the name of the company I went with - they also organize the Smithsonian’s tours! 

Machu Picchu - HAL at one time offered the Howard Bingham Orient and Express luxury train option for their Machu Picchu excursion -smaller group, off hours access to Machu Picchu, a very nice and deluxe option.  Plus the comfort of knowing HAL will get you back to the ship, one way or the other.

• Like 1

you, i

On 8/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, OlsSalt said:

There are no "excursions" in Antarctica on HAL ships. Did you think otherwise when you signed up for this extensive time onboard?  It can still be a fabulous "drive-by" experience even if you don't land on the continent.  The rest of the ports on this journey around South America are pretty terrific. Much more low-key than other destinations.  Wait until you see the listed shore excursions and see what appeals to you.  

If you are traversing western South America (you did not mention your 73 day itinerary), getting up to speed on the  pre-Columbian history of this area and the layers of incredible prior civilizations and their remaining historic sites today will be well worth the effort.

Thank you

1 hour ago, VirginiaVacationer said:

It has reopened.   I went last year right before it closed, and I will tell you…if you have always wanted to go, and you think you might not have the opportunity again…and you can afford it…GO.  GO GO GO GO.   It is all that and a bag of chips.   You will not regret it.   Not just the site, but the train ride through some of the most mind bogglingly beautiful scenery anywhere.  All of it.   

also…if you can afford it and it doesn’t conflict with MP, I second the Nazca lines.   I went there on the same trip and…they are SO COOL.  Unless you really are freaked out by very small planes banking at really odd angles.  

(I did not go on cruise excursions however,I went on a high end (as in  we stayed at the JW Marriott in Cuzco - I don’t do hostels 😉 ) small group  tour to the sacred valley - with two visits to MP - and then on my own to Nazca.   If you can only do one, go to the lines and I’ll give you the name of the company I went with - they also organize the Smithsonian’s tours! 

Thank you

16 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Machu Picchu - HAL at one time offered the Howard Bingham Orient and Express luxury train option for their Machu Picchu excursion -smaller group, off hours access to Machu Picchu, a very nice and deluxe option.  Plus the comfort of knowing HAL will get you back to the ship, one way or the other.

I agree.  If it is in budget HAL does use the top of the line options for their overland excursions 

• Like 2