How are you feeling about the cuts the cruise lines are making to "recover" covid loss of income?

gardenbug22

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Part of me wonders in the US if it's a case of wanting to get by with fewer staff rather than raising prices more

In our region many green card immigrants went home for Covid and did not return to the hospitality industry.   I think the industry is taking advantage of the change in expectations by travelers to cut costs.  Everything regards the consumer ebbs and flows with the economy. 

Things change.  Many people like the cut down version of cruising.  Don't like fancy food, organized entertainment, attentive service, etc.  Any business will adjust to the market.

So far, we have found that most lines still provide the options we like either included or at a reasonable extra charge.  Just have to adapt to the changes.  And yes land vacations are a good option, but we don't find the prices and service any better than a cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Things change.  Many people like the cut down version of cruising.  Don't like fancy food, organized entertainment, attentive service, etc.  Any business will adjust to the market.

So far, we have found that most lines still provide the options we like either included or at a reasonable extra charge.  Just have to adapt to the changes.  And yes land vacations are a good option, but we don't find the prices and service any better than a cruise.

I consider the new bundles of options ideal.  It lets everyone customize their cruise experience.  

9 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Most places I stay offer twice a day service. 

Nowhere I have stayed on land in Australia or elsewhere has done so.

if it has been available on request I have never noticed that nor would I take it.

Am currently in good hotel in London - daily room service with opt out option, and £7 restaurant or bar credit if opt out option taken. 

• Like 1

Where is that out of interest? I’m near London, savoy, langham, Landmark all offer it. Country hotels also. Was in Madrid this year, San Sebastián, Saint Jean de Luz, and all provided it. I love a turn down service, makes me feel like I’m on holiday. 

Strand Palace Hotel in central London. 

Daily room service the norm, unless one opts out, no mention anywhere of twice daily 

The day we left the opt out of room service sign on the door, they left a voucher for £7 next to it which we had taken off our restaurant dinner price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing about travelling on the cheaper lines is that you are less likely to find the crashing snob who thinks you're a peasant for having less money than him or her.  🙄

A lot depends how you define luxury, of course.  When I'm at home I don't get my room cleaned daily and I don't get unlimited food prepared for me.  I call it luxury when that happens.  Some people, who perhaps have a different home lifestyle than me, don't consider that to be luxury.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

One thing about travelling on the cheaper lines is that you are less likely to find the crashing snob who thinks you're a peasant for having less money than him or her.  🙄

This is true (though I haven't encountered them on the slightly nicer I've been on either).

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 4:26 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Those cuts really have little to do with Covid - they are part of the business plan of all mass market lines:  improve bottom line by cutting costs ...

Two things can be true.  

- Yes, the cruise lines have massive debt  because of Covid. 

- They are testing out cost cuts.  

On 8/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Are you aware of how long it takes to start filling cabins after a line decides to order a ship?

Yes, and trust and interest, once gone, are hard to regain.  

On 8/29/2023 at 1:17 AM, crystalspin said:

Yes, we were asked would we like the single make-up of the cabin to be morning or night. Realistically, I only make my own bed once a day at home!

Cleaning at home vs. onboard is not a good analogy: 

- At home my husband and I don't "live in" the bedroom the whole day; that is, we tend to get up and leave the bedroom.  If I return to the bedroom, it's probably just to pick up a pair of shoes or something.  We certainly don't eat and drink in our bedroom.  Realistically, we only throw things away in our bedroom /bathroom trash cans while we're dressing /undressing in the morning /evening ... the rest of the day, we tend to use the trash can in the kitchen.  Onboard the stateroom is more heavily used.  

- At home I tend to shower in the morning, and he tends to shower in the evening.  Onboard, we often take more than one shower a day, which exacerbates the number of towels that pile up.  In a small, enclosed bathroom, they don't thoroughly dry.  

- At home our children have their own rooms (and bathroom).  Onboard we occasionally share that small stateroom with one of our adult children (and soon our little grandson).  That third person in a small room just adds to the gets-messy-faster problem.  

Seriously, making your bed at home once a day doesn't compare to LIVING IN a small stateroom.  

On 8/30/2023 at 10:01 AM, Joebucks said:

For me, even as I make more money, I find it hard to spend $10k+ on a cruise. Just knowing what that can grow into and how much enjoyment I can get on multiple trips at a total far less.

Yes, I know everyone doesn't think this way, but HAVING MONEY has little to do with me being willing to SPEND MORE MONEY on a cruise.  

On 9/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, gardenbug22 said:

I don't think you are wrong. I suspect once they have financially recovered their debt that they will not restore the level of service of service we once enjoyed.

Eh, halfway true.  Royal is watching carefully to see what cuts people care about vs. what cuts don't really seem to matter to the majority; for example, people were up in arms about the potential loss of pizza recently -- and Royal shut that down solidly.  People seem split on the reduction in room service, but many seem upset that it was coupled with an increase in gratuity.  The list could go on.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I sat down after my cruise on NCL and thought about what cuts bothered me the most.

I was sad the the MDR food quality and variety had been greatly reduced. I was not too impressed with portions when I recieved a spear of broccoli that was the size I cut for dips.

I felt with the cuts in staffing, or additions to their day that the  staff was un neccessarily stressed out, and it showed. it took the shine off the cruise.ONe of the things I always enjoy is my interaction with the crew they were pleasant but definately on the run.

I was further disapointed with  the lack of good entertainment/ shows and the lack of good live  music all over the ship I missed the ship's band and entertainment crew.  

I am not sure why they had an activities schedule, as it was primarily only trival pursuit games and spa pushes.  There was not of the fun stuff .. staff introductions of folks from various countries, no ice sculpture demo, or  towel folding demos. no mr hairy legs competition..no staff variety show. Craft classes.. Basically it was a flat schedule. 

Oh and did I mention our cd was invisible...?

And yes I do miss the turn down of my bedding at night and towel animal... but that is the least of my complaints..

On 9/2/2023 at 5:29 PM, Mary229 said:

In the states it has gone beyond that.  I often book hotels for 3 - 5 days and now you don’t get any service during that period unless you request it.  Even when requested the best you may get is fresh towels and trash disposal.  

I stay in hotels every week, and routinely ask them not to change my towels or make the bed.

I can re-use towels. and a made up bed is unnecessary to me. And if it was well I could make it myself like I do at home.

and it all makes me think I am helping the planet in a very small way.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:17 PM, wineoclock said:

Where is that out of interest? I’m near London, savoy, langham, Landmark all offer it. Country hotels also. Was in Madrid this year, San Sebastián, Saint Jean de Luz, and all provided it. I love a turn down service, makes me feel like I’m on holiday. 

who on earth would pay £300-£500 a night to stay in one of those places?

Me and my wife stayed in the savoy for one night, silver wedding thing. It was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Pretentious, old fashioned, no air con, view of a central court yard pigeon netting, net curtains that looked like they ahdnt been washed in decades ( who on earth has net curtains these days?)

Give a premier inn any day.

On 9/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, Kristelle said:

Strand Palace Hotel in central London. 

Daily room service the norm, unless one opts out, no mention anywhere of twice daily 

The day we left the opt out of room service sign on the door, they left a voucher for £7 next to it which we had taken off our restaurant dinner price. 

Strand palace is decent enough and is reasonably priced.

I despise forced fun activities so they can all go for me.

The theatre shows I can take or leave. Sometimes its 40 minutes to have a little nap whilst she enjoys whatever middle of the road fair is on offer.

I am not a foodie so I cant really comment on the quality, as a bag of french fries is quality to me.

Staff were brilliant and getting served at bars was easy.

Speciality restaurants were good I think. Again I am no expert.

Buffet was nice enough especially breakfast.

Ship was clean. Toilets were clean.

Nothing to moan about really.

ah yes, too many of those small people, Kids I think they are called.

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

who on earth would pay £300-£500 a night to stay in one of those places?

Me and my wife stayed in the savoy for one night, silver wedding thing. It was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Pretentious, old fashioned, no air con, view of a central court yard pigeon netting, net curtains that looked like they ahdnt been washed in decades ( who on earth has net curtains these days?)

Give a premier inn any day.

Horses for courses. I love the Savoy and that type of hotel don’t find them pretentious. I’ve never stayed in a premier inn but have done a fair few travel lodges in my time. Probably why Id rather the Savoy :)) 

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I despise forced fun activities so they can all go for me.

The theatre shows I can take or leave. Sometimes its 40 minutes to have a little nap whilst she enjoys whatever middle of the road fair is on offer.

I am not a foodie so I cant really comment on the quality, as a bag of french fries is quality to me.

Staff were brilliant and getting served at bars was easy.

Speciality restaurants were good I think. Again I am no expert.

Buffet was nice enough especially breakfast.

Ship was clean. Toilets were clean.

Nothing to moan about really.

ah yes, too many of those small people, Kids I think they are called.

I don't like forced fun either but think you must have a different meaning than me.  Most think of it as the mandatory company picnic or team building games that we have no choice but to attend and pretend we are enjoying ourselves.    A cruise trivia game on the other hand is totally voluntary.  Go or don't go as you like.    

What on earth are "forced fun activities?"  DW and I cruise on many different lines (ranging from basic mass market lines to ultra luxury lines) and have never heard of or been involved in "forced fun activities."  All ships have some kind of a daily activities schedule and individual passengers decide whether or not they want to participate in that stuff.  In fact, DW and I will sometimes spend weeks on a cruise and not participate in any organized activity.  If we do see something of interest, then we check it out.

As to entertainment (both quality and quantity) it varies from cruise line to cruise line and even among the various ships of some cruise lines.  On our most recent cruises (i.e. in the past year) we have seen everything from awful entertainment to some fabulous entertainment (and everything between).  No question that some cruise lines (and ships) do a better job than others.  

As to cut-back (the actual topic of the thread) we have noticed some entertainment cut-backs (such as on HAL) and entertainment improvement (on our recent Seabourn cruise).  On other lines (Princess and MSC) we have seen little change from pre-Covid in terms of entertainment.

Hank

• Thanks 1

How are you feeling about the cuts the Mass Market Cruisers are making to "recover" covid loss of income?

This is a question that many of my former colleagues on Mass Market ships are asking. These many cuts are not only reducing overall earnings for the Hotel Staff, but resulting in many tours cancelled due to lack of interest.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, BruceMuzz said:

How are you feeling about the cuts the Mass Market Cruisers are making to "recover" covid loss of income?

This is a question that many of my former colleagues on Mass Market ships are asking. These many cuts are not only reducing overall earnings for the Hotel Staff, but resulting in many tours cancelled due to lack of interest.

We have noticed the "cancelled tour" issue on a few of our recent cruises.  I think that is a combination of outrageous excursion prices coupled with the increasing knowledge of cruisers that there are other much more reasonable options (i.e. private tours or DIY).  Charging $90 for a 2 hour walking tour (in a tiny village...all within spitting distance of the ship) makes little sense for most folks.   And some ships now charge more for shuttle buses than local taxis!  There are also more third party companies that sell tours to cruisers...at significantly lower prices than the ship excursions.  In fact, many cruise/travel agencies now actively market these tours (for which they get a cut).

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We have noticed the "cancelled tour" issue on a few of our recent cruises.  I think that is a combination of outrageous excursion prices coupled with the increasing knowledge of cruisers that there are other much more reasonable options (i.e. private tours or DIY).  Charging $90 for a 2 hour walking tour (in a tiny village...all within spitting distance of the ship) makes little sense for most folks.   And some ships now charge more for shuttle buses than local taxis!  There are also more third party companies that sell tours to cruisers...at significantly lower prices than the ship excursions.  In fact, many cruise/travel agencies now actively market these tours (for which they get a cut).

Hank

Once and only once did we take a walking tour billed as tapas and wine.  We had already walked the town on our own all day but this was an evening adventure.  It actually was a hoot, I called it speed dating for couples as at each bar/restaurant we would sit with someone different.   I don’t know that I would do it again but I did find social value in the exercise. 

• Like 2