US citizen cruising from Vancouver BC - Help!!!

Hello,

We live in Oregon and are traveling (by car) to Vancouver BC for our cruise in September.  I just have a few questions.

1.  What documents do we need to cross the border?  Passport, driver's license, birth certificate, visa?

2.  Do we need to have updated Covid boosters?  

3.  Any documents needed for my car?  I can't find my registration information. 🥲

4.  Any other tips/suggestions that might be helpful?

Thank you so very much for your help!!!  🙂

All you need is your passport. Covid boosters are not needed and no car information is asked for. If you can go through the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing it's usually quieter and less of a wait than the Peace Arch or Truck Customs. When you come back it may be worth the drive to go that way. Listen to 1130AM on your radio and they do traffic and border reports "on the 1s". 

• Like 1

Not true above.  You always need your DL if driving.  But they don't ask to see it at the border.

You also must have a copy of registration and proof of insurance for your vehicle.  Again, they don't ask to see it at the border, but if stopped by police for any reason or someone hits your car in an accident, you are going to need those documents.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

All you need is your passport. Covid boosters are not needed and no car information is asked for. If you can go through the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing it's usually quieter and less of a wait than the Peace Arch or Truck Customs. When you come back it may be worth the drive to go that way. Listen to 1130AM on your radio and they do traffic and border reports "on the 1s". 

Great to know. Thank you so much, Luvteaching. 🙂 

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not true above.  You always need your DL if driving.  But they don't ask to see it at the border.

You also must have a copy of registration and proof of insurance for your vehicle.  Again, they don't ask to see it at the border, but if stopped by police for any reason or someone hits your car in an accident, you are going to need those documents.

Very good to know. I will go to the DMV.  Thank you so much, Steelers36. 🙂 

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Absolutely true!  In fact, you should never drive without these documents in your car or your DL. 
You could be stopped by the police at any time, even a road block or safety check.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Absolutely true!  In fact, you should never drive without these documents in your car or your DL. 
You could be stopped by the police at any time, even a road block or safety check.

And those things have nothing to do with crossing a border

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, memoak said:

And those things have nothing to do with crossing a border

True. Except poster asked (question #3), what they need in their car, which is a given, whether you drive in the US or across the border. Good sense.

Also (question #4), asked for tips/suggestions and @Steelers36and myself both made suggestions.  

Just trying to be helpful, that’s what we’re on here for, or at least

I thought it was.  JMO

• Like 6

18 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Just double check that your auto insurance is valid in Canada.

And print proof of it. Many/most major US auto insurance companies extend validity to Canada, but it's a different insurance card. Whenever I go to Canada with a car, I just go to my online portal (or email my agent) to print off a paper copy of that card just in case. I don't print many things, but I figure it's easier to have it printed out should something actually happen. 

• Like 1

Make sure everyone in your car has NOT been arrested for ANYTHING ( even DUI), no matter how long ago.  There could be a good chance that that person will be denied entry into Canada.   Also, DONOT take any " illegal substance" ( which might be legal in Oregon) over the boarder.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:01 AM, Zach1213 said:

And print proof of it. Many/most major US auto insurance companies extend validity to Canada, but it's a different insurance card. Whenever I go to Canada with a car, I just go to my online portal (or email my agent) to print off a paper copy of that card just in case. I don't print many things, but I figure it's easier to have it printed out should something actually happen. 

Great idea! Thank you.

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Make sure everyone in your car has NOT been arrested for ANYTHING ( even DUI), no matter how long ago.  There could be a good chance that that person will be denied entry into Canada.   Also, DONOT take any " illegal substance" ( which might be legal in Oregon) over the boarder.

Yikes! Good to know.  🙂

18 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Yes, this can be an issue but the checks at the border appear to be random, which means they don't run every visitor through the US database. I have a friend that frequently crossed without issues until they randomly ran him and an old charge was revealed. Of course now his Canadian record is flagged so future crossings aren't possible unless he goes through the process to have it dealt with. 

On 8/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, klfrodo said:

Just double check that your auto insurance is valid in Canada.

I've lived 8 miles from the border for almost 30 years and this is one thing that I've never even thought about. I told DW that Cruise Critic was helpful about things other than cruises but I don't think she believed me. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, this can be an issue but the checks at the border appear to be random, which means they don't run every visitor through the US database. I have a friend that frequently crossed without issues until they randomly ran him and an old charge was revealed. Of course now his Canadian record is flagged so future crossings aren't possible unless he goes through the process to have it dealt with. 

its one thing to take a chance on not getting flagged at the Canadian boarder if one is doing a road trip. The OP was stating they are driving into Vancouver to catch a cruise.  If someone one does get tagged, they lost the cost of the cruise.  I don't believe travel insurance would cover the cost.  I was just mentioning what could happen.  They are grown ups, and can make their own decisions.  A group of folks, traveling by car, from Oregon....sounds like further investigation would be done a the border.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, this can be an issue but the checks at the border appear to be random, which means they don't run every visitor through the US database.

You can bet they’re running them from the ship manifest prior to their return to Canadian waters though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

its one thing to take a chance on not getting flagged at the Canadian boarder if one is doing a road trip. The OP was stating they are driving into Vancouver to catch a cruise.  If someone one does get tagged, they lost the cost of the cruise.  I don't believe travel insurance would cover the cost.  I was just mentioning what could happen.  They are grown ups, and can make their own decisions.  A group of folks, traveling by car, from Oregon....sounds like further investigation would be done a the border.

I agree that with a cruise on the line it does raise the stakes and it is good information to know but it's also good to know that the checks are random. If one is making a decision it helps to have as much info as possible.

• Like 1