Iona Celebration Night Question

Minnie29

2 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

my husband is wondering if he should take his tux? 

If he's got one why not take it. He won't be overdressed and there's no limit to the amount of luggage you can take as long as it fits in the cabin!

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We are due on Arvia tomorrow and after experiencing Iona in March for the first time in over 50 cruises in 26 yrs of cruising I am not taking my dinner suit just a dark suit.

No longer own a dark suit so it's DJ or a casual  eatery. Think DJ as long as there are 2  in a fortnight 

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

No longer own a dark suit so it's DJ or a casual  eatery.

Nope.

There is no need for a suit (dark or otherwise) or a DJ, as even just a jacket and tie is sufficient on formal evenings these days according to the P&O website.

• Like 1

This is what the P&O site now says for new cruisers.

If you love getting dressed up, our Celebration Nights will be right up your street. You can don a tux, ballgown, smart dark suit or cocktail dress.

under find out more it says.

Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. 

Note the last comma. leave it out and it says, or a suit jacket and tie. This is daft

My interpretation is the formal code is being replaced with the former 'jacket required' code.

On Aurora and Arcadia recently there were men dressed in sports coats or blazers.

Roll on the old 'jacket required' Henley regatta blazers and ancient tweeds with gravy stains 😁

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:18 AM, Minnie29 said:

Can anyone tell me roughly what percentage of guys wear a tuxedo on Formal night. 
we are off on a Norway cruise this month and my husband is wondering if he should take his tux? 
thank you

On our 10 cruises since the lockdown, a lot of back to backs. I would say that it was still 80% + wearing DJ’s. This was on Ventura Aurora and Iona. The Iona cruises being partly in school holidays. The younger element seem to be the ones who try the most. On Iona there were very long queues for formal night photos.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:18 AM, Minnie29 said:

Can anyone tell me roughly what percentage of guys wear a tuxedo on Formal night. 
we are off on a Norway cruise this month and my husband is wondering if he should take his tux? 
thank you

We were on Iona a week ago and compliance with the dress code on the one formal night was significantly less than any other P&O cruise that we have been on. I put this down to the fact that the majority of passengers were first timers (so may be less inclined towards the more traditional aspects of cruising and may not wish to buy a DJ for just one night) and it was in peak school holidays.

Quite a few people dressed up for the Celebration night but not as formally as you would find on the other ships. It was more informal than formal, if that makes sense. Unlike some people, this doesn’t really bother me at all as I don’t particularly enjoy having to wear formal clothing myself now that I am retired, but we went to the 710 Club after dinner and I was suddenly aware of the fact that even though it was a full house I was the only gent wearing a proper dinner suit!

Compliance is likely to be higher on your cruise and if your husband has a tux he might as well take it, but if he fancies a break from it he certainly won’t feel out of place!

P&O should do tux hire. Like you say , few will get a tux for one outing. But if they can sort out how to get you measured reliably, they could pop it in your cabin ready for sail away and take it back at the end of the cruise.

Can I get a job in the P&O revenue team.....

7 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

P&O should do tux hire. Like you say , few will get a tux for one outing. But if they can sort out how to get you measured reliably, they could pop it in your cabin ready for sail away and take it back at the end of the cruise.

Can I get a job in the P&O revenue team.....

This was something available on Celebrity cruises until a few years ago. You could pre-book everything through their website, even the dickie bow and patent shoes. I thought it was a great idea, especially for fly cruises when weight could be a problem.

• Like 2