How many ships in port

TrixiePixie

23 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Google search the port schedule. This will be typically more accurate than the other websites that will be recommended.

That being said, in 27 cruises, the number of ships in port has affected us exactly zero.

I assume, then, that you do not ordinarily go ashore at cruise ports of call.

My experience is that any port much smaller than New York will have a noticeably different flavor if there are up to tens of thousands of other cruisers visiting it the same day your ship pulls in.

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

I assume, then, that you do not ordinarily go ashore at cruise ports of call.

My experience is that any port much smaller than New York will have a noticeably different flavor if there are up to tens of thousands of other cruisers visiting it the same day your ship pulls in.

We go ashore in virtually all ports, frequently DIY-ing around. We just plan ahead what we want to do, and don't get all excited about other ships in port, except to look at them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

We go ashore in virtually all ports, frequently DIY-ing around. We just plan ahead what we want to do, and don't get all excited about other ships in port, except to look at them. 

There are days when there are 5 or 6 ships at Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, for example,- dropping over 20,000 passengers on an island with just a few multiples of that as a permanent population- crowding the town, roads and beaches.

It is difficult to see how that could have zero impact on anyone going ashore - as opposed to the days when there might be just a couple of thousand pax.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are days when there are 5 or 6 ships at Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, for example,- dropping over 20,000 passengers on an island with just a few multiples of that as a permanent population- crowding the town, roads and beaches.

It is difficult to see how that could have zero impact on anyone going ashore - as opposed to the days when there might be just a couple of thousand pax.

You can worry about it, or you can go about doing what you want...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You can worry about it, or you can go about doing what you want...

Which is very difficult if you do not plan for heavy traffic, crowded beaches, unavailable local transportation , etc.  Planning for heavy crowds is just as important as planning what to see and how to do “…what you want.”

It is hard to believe that anyone's day wouldn't be impacted by the kinds of crowds that are being seen in popular cruise ports such as Venice, Dubrovnik, and Santorini (shown below, respectively) in tourist season.

Even if your plan is to go about, doing what you want, you may find it impossible to get through the crowd of thousands in front of you intent on doing the same things.

image.png.72a109ceb60ff8e94c1a828411ab9834.png 

image.png.ab93b7150bb191bbd9027e5f08b08cd8.png

image.png.a60c2fb664c09bc1ea712b81dfa0e60e.png

When I see photos like these (and indeed have experienced them live a few times), I worry that I am one shove away from being squashed in the crowd like the 154 people who were crushed to death in a crowd in Seoul last year. And yes, it has influenced my travel plans -- I will no longer visit overly crowded tourist spots in prime season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It is hard to believe that anyone's day wouldn't be impacted by the kinds of crowds that are being seen in popular cruise ports such as Venice, Dubrovnik, and Santorini (shown below, respectively) in tourist season.

Even if your plan is to go about, doing what you want, you may find it impossible to get through the crowd of thousands in front of you intent on doing the same things.

image.png.72a109ceb60ff8e94c1a828411ab9834.png 

image.png.ab93b7150bb191bbd9027e5f08b08cd8.png

image.png.a60c2fb664c09bc1ea712b81dfa0e60e.png

When I see photos like these (and indeed have experienced them live a few times), I worry that I am one shove away from being squashed in the crowd like the 154 people who were crushed to death in a crowd in Seoul last year. And yes, it has influenced my travel plans -- I will no longer visit overly crowded tourist spots in prime season.

I suspect that some people just get off the ship, walk on the pier a bit, and then get back on board.  Thinking of anything much more than that without being aware of the crowds (i.e. the number of ships in port with you) just does not happen.

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Google search the port schedule. This will be typically more accurate than the other websites that will be recommended.

That being said, in 27 cruises, the number of ships in port has affected us exactly zero.

We were affected by having 3 ships in Corfu when there were 2 docks. The HAL ship we were on had to tender.