Insignia and hurricanes

Pappy1258

1 hour ago, SSFrance69 said:

How does one of the smaller ships like Insignia handle high seas? I understand the crossing from NY to Bermuda can be dicey. We just did the crossing on Celebrity Summit, and it was fine, but that is a larger ship and the seas were fairly calm. We are O converts after our Riviera cruise last March, so just curious about the smaller ships as well.

I’m onboard and the ship has sailed pretty well through the remnants of Idalia. The ship definitely pitches in 10 foot plus waves but the rolling is minimal. I’m very prone to motion sickness and with my wrist bands and Bonine I’m doing just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SSFrance69 said:

How does one of the smaller ships like Insignia handle high seas? I understand the crossing from NY to Bermuda can be dicey. We just did the crossing on Celebrity Summit, and it was fine, but that is a larger ship and the seas were fairly calm. We are O converts after our Riviera cruise last March, so just curious about the smaller ships as well.

We have sail in the Irish sea on Insignia  during a gale    near the front it was rough but  mid to aft seemed better

Regatta in rough seas in the Caribbean  where she was hit by a rouge  wave ..we all survived

Marina  on a TA where 2 storms converging in the middle of the Atlantic  it was a roller coaster ride  to Ireland ..we survived

• Like 2

We were on insignia for a TA from London to NY.  3 sea days turned into 6 because the captain was avoiding a storm. It was so rough, we were knocked out of our bed twice in one night!  Hate to see how it would have been if we didn’t avoid it!  A great time was had by us and our travel companions, even though we ran out of grey goose!😂🍸

k🛳

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, tropicalkerry2002 said:

I am boarding Insignia for this cruise on Sept 13th. If anyone reading this thread is doing this cruise and could report here how WARM or COOL the sea days at the beginning and end of the cruise are/were, I would appreciate it very much! Thank you.

hi tropicalkerry,

just reporting back….the sea day at the beginning of our cruise was very hot!  Very hot in Bermuda. Will keep you posted!  Hope you make it to Bermuda!

k🛳🍸

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC225 said:

I really wish Oceania didn't put Insignia's Bermuda runs right in the midst of hurricane season.  A different month would probably yield more consistent and less uncertain itineraries.

Hurricane season runs from the beginning of June to the end of November. Hard to avoid, I’d say.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Hurricane season runs from the beginning of June to the end of November. Hard to avoid, I’d say.

And folks who book during the hurricane season show know this risk when they book.  Since in any season,  hurricanes can be few or many, mild or strong, it's impossible for cruise lines to second guess Mother Nature.  Still, their frequency and intensity appear to be increasing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

But...the risk of encountering an Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane is far, far greater from late August through mid October than it is for the remainder of the hurricane season. The peak day of the season is September 10. This NOAA graphic illustrates storms per day:

AtlanticCampfire.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

That still leaves 6 months outside of hurricane season.  Is it really that hard for a cruise line to avoid?

58 minutes ago, DC225 said:

That still leaves 6 months outside of hurricane season.  Is it really that hard for a cruise line to avoid?

do you want to sail to bermuda in winter.  Bermuda is 700 miles off the coast of Virginia. It is not in the carribean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC225 said:

The ships  are sailing elsewhere  during the other months

Usually the Insignia is doing the ATW  cruise  from Jan to Jun

• Like 1

Does anyone know how close to departure does Oceania or any other cruise line announce cancellations or changes of itinerary?   With Insignia's September sailing just days away, and me having a bit of experience in tracking weather, it's not looking like there are many, if any alternate routes.      Some may say I'm being negative, but in reality I'm being realistic

On 9/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, tropicalkerry2002 said:

I am boarding Insignia for this cruise on Sept 13th. If anyone reading this thread is doing this cruise and could report here how WARM or COOL the sea days at the beginning and end of the cruise are/were, I would appreciate it very much! Thank you.

All days have been warm/hot so far.  I’ll let you know how return is.  I have a live post so feel free to pop over and ask me tomorrow or Monday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vineyard2023 said:

Does anyone know how close to departure does Oceania or any other cruise line announce cancellations or changes of itinerary?   With Insignia's September sailing just days away, and me having a bit of experience in tracking weather, it's not looking like there are many, if any alternate routes.      Some may say I'm being negative, but in reality I'm being realistic

Most times  I think they try to do the itinerary but  where hurricanes are concerned they will try to  change the route to avoid  it

It may turn into  a cruise to Canada  or maybe  go south to Bahamas

depends on the path of the storm

JMO

1 hour ago, Vineyard2023 said:

For cruises that departed yesterday from FL, itinerary changes were announced, in most cases, the day before the cruise began.  I'm also on the Sept 13 voyage.  The storm's path still has serval possibilities, most of which would seem to limit our options.

Having just been through this same pre-trip anxiety from not knowing what would happen to our cruise due to hurricanes, I think some simple messaging from Oceania would have gone a long way.  Obviously the cruise line can't control the weather, but if they are scheduling cruises during the height of hurricane season and if there's a named storm heading right toward your cruise path, then some simple reassurance sent via email before the cruise, such as this, would really mean a lot:

1. Your safety is our top priority.  We will always put safety first.

2. We may need to re-route your itinerary, and it may not be known until the last minute (or even until we start sailing) because weather changes rapidly.  We appreciate your patience and flexibility.

3. You may wish to pack some warmer clothes in the event we have to sail north.

4. Your cruise itinerary may change, but the Oceania experience you've come to expect will not. You'll still have a great cruise no matter the weather.

Even better, maybe they can move Insignia's Bermuda runs to sometime other than the literal worst month of the year for hurricanes.