Regent App?

registrar

I don't know if it is an age thing but like many of you, my phone stays in my back pack unless I want to take a photo (or find directions when I am lost 😜) and whilst onboard it sometimes comes with me and sometimes stays in the suite, but, when I look around me when out and about, so many people are glued to the things which is particularly annoying when they walk into me because they are looking at the screen and not where they are going.

I assume that the cruise companies, are trying to attract a younger clientele who live their lives via that small screen 😁

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I don't know if it is an age thing but like many of you, my phone stays in my back pack unless I want to take a photo (or find directions when I am lost 😜) and whilst onboard it sometimes comes with me and sometimes stays in the suite, but, when I look around me when out and about, so many people are glued to the things which is particularly annoying when they walk into me because they are looking at the screen and not where they are going.

I assume that the cruise companies, are trying to attract a younger clientele who live their lives via that small screen 😁

agree on all points but not sure it is 100% generational… I am not yet 40 and abhor dragging my phone around on a cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

agree on all points but not sure it is 100% generational… I am not yet 40 and abhor dragging my phone around on a cruise!

You are really quite old in the scheme of things then 😜

I retired from teaching a couple of years ago and trying to prevent our young people from using their phones in lessons was a nightmare. They ended up putting them on my desk, twitching through the lesson then frantically collecting them at the end 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other reason I will carry my phone is to show pictures of children, grandchildren and pets since I normally am with the Solo and Social group.  The last time I pasted though the airport I had hopes when I saw an area marked Wy-Fy Free, but it was where access was provided rather than access blocked.  

• Haha 2

We’re all different types of travelers. I’d prefer an app to always have that info handy. I carry my phone for picture taking primarily but also maps on land, and the marine tracker app if I want to look up a fancy yacht or check the weather. My wife carries her phone since she has an aging father and she wants to be reachable. We’d both prefer an app to the paper, but Regent could have paper be the default with an opt out, or vice versa with an opt in for paper.

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
Typo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have I missed something? There's an app up now on Google Play. It loads, but says it requires ship wifi. I wonder if it's functional - there was one up last year that wasn't. Anyone tried it onboard?

The home screen says "Once on board, use this app to explore daily Passages, dining menus and more." The screen shots show Passages and booked excursions.

I hope that content stays viewable once disconnected from wifi. It'd save us the trouble of taking photos of Passages before leaving the ship.

What'd really be useful would be the ability to book and change excursions with an app. That'd liberate us from the limited hours at the Destination Services counter

On 9/5/2023 at 6:41 AM, pappy1022 said:

It sure would enhance the shore excursions if you could listen to the guide via your mobile phone and ear buds. I think they tried that and for some reason pulled the plug on it.

They had that on Scenic river cruises a few years back. It was more of a distraction than a help. Wifi range was too limited and it kept disconnecting. Then it took a long time fiddling with it to reconnect. Viking uses Quietvoxes - easy to use, longer range and reliable. On our last Regent cruise, one of the guides brought his own Quietvoxes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toolworker said:

Have I missed something? There's an app up now on Google Play. It loads, but says it requires ship wifi. I wonder if it's functional - there was one up last year that wasn't. Anyone tried it onboard?

The home screen says "Once on board, use this app to explore daily Passages, dining menus and more." The screen shots show Passages and booked excursions.

I hope that content stays viewable once disconnected from wifi. It'd save us the trouble of taking photos of Passages before leaving the ship.

What'd really be useful would be the ability to book and change excursions with an app. That'd liberate us from the limited hours at the Destination Services counter

They had that on Scenic river cruises a few years back. It was more of a distraction than a help. Wifi range was too limited and it kept disconnecting. Then it took a long time fiddling with it to reconnect. Viking uses Quietvoxes - easy to use, longer range and reliable. On our last Regent cruise, one of the guides brought his own Quietvoxes!

At this time, App functionality isn’t very robust. You cannot access the App unless connected to the ship’s WiFi. You can, however, download Passages and save it to your device for viewing at any time. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

At this time, App functionality isn’t very robust. You cannot access the App unless connected to the ship’s WiFi. You can, however, download Passages and save it to your device for viewing at any time. 

Well, that's a start. But it ought to download the day's Passages (and menus) automatically, without the pax having to do anything, and keep them until at least midnight. Otherwise it just replaces having to remember to photograph Passages with having to remember to do the download.

The Google Play store allows leaving a review, but doesn't display them. So I guess it's finished enough to show that Regent has an app like all the other cruise lines, but not enough for user comments.

I had this app loaded on my phone for my recent Dec/Jan Splendor cruise, and it did facilitate logging back on when the wifi periodically kicked me off.  But it did NOT work for Passages,  menus, or "more" as advertised on its home page.  I probably should have inquired about this at the IT desk, so I don't know if he could have helped.

I downloaded the App for my Jan/Feb Grandeur cruise. It worked well for me and I was able to view Passages and menus even when I left the ship for excursions, as long as I had opened the app whilst onboard. I found it very helpful.

Even today I am able to open the app and view Passages for February 4th (the day before disembarking), all restaurant menus, the Ship Directory, and the Shore Excursion Catalogue.

I believe it hasn't been rolled out to other ships yet (as of February - from Mike Moore before he departed).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I had this app loaded on my phone for my recent Dec/Jan Splendor cruise, and it did facilitate logging back on when the wifi periodically kicked me off.  But it did NOT work for Passages,  menus, or "more" as advertised on its home page.  I probably should have inquired about this at the IT desk, so I don't know if he could have helped.

Try closing the app and re-opening. It gets glitchy at times and doesn’t want to behave. It doesn’t work when I’m on my VPN. 

I had the app on my recent Grandeur cruise. The biggest advantage was having Passages available without having to take a photo or carry around the paper copy. Also available off-ship. Nice having port agent contact off-ship too, if it’s ever needed. 

• Like 1