Live from the Silver Cloud - Reykjavik to Ft Lauderdale September 8 - October 1

spinnaker2

18 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Good morning from the Cloud. We left rainy NYC about 11ish last evening in the rain.  At some point we will make a turn to starboard to enter the Chesapeake Bay and up to Baltimore. A photo from this morning as the sun was making her appearance. 

Great updating and details from Spins.  Any plans for exploring in Baltimore?  Interesting city with some excellent food and history.  Keep up the great sharing.  Nice sky visual!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2

My review of Silver Suite 726. I generally do not comment on such issues. 

The positives, it’s a silver suite silly!  But with a strange configuration, obviously it was two verandahs and has been converted into a single suite. One verandah suite became the living room dining room areas with a sleep couch, large closet, dining room table that seas four, dry bar and a complete bathroom with shower. The second room has a bedroom and large walk in closet with vanity and another complete bathroom. Lots of drawers and closet space, a double verandah in length, narrow but with a table and chairs and a single lounger. One gets “free” laundry with a silver. Its also located midship on the Cloud. 

And the major negatives. Keep in mind one pays a small fortune for this suite. It should be superlative. For us the Silver experience has been very tarnished for the following reasons. Not in order of priority. 

1.   Noise.  At about 4 am the gentlemen who clean the pool deck begin their job. They wash the deck and move the furniture. And the water from the deck wash and buckets and hoses goes directly onto our verandah from above like a deluge. The noise of the furniture moving is really loud, loud enough to wake me up.  We did mention this to our butler and the deck cleaning was started about 6 am instead of the earlier time. For anyone who wants to nap in the afternoon and is a light sleeper, this is not the suite for you. The constant moving of the pool deck furniture will prohibit sleep.  The noise also continues with the Grill as it is directly above 726.  The staircase to deck 8 is just above our bedroom in the suite, we hear all of the comings and goings! Those pax who are habitués of the bar seem to prefer the tables above our suite. They arrive in  early morning to grab their regular table. 

2.  Grey water. This has been a MAJOR issue since Reykjavik.  Our double verandah location has issues with the smell of sewage. Initially I thought this was from the bunkering that was happening. When it did not abate, we reported it and had a succession of people who also confirmed the pungent smell, those being; the guest relations, the head butler, our butler, the suite attendant.  The smell was so strong we really couldn’t open our verandah door, as the odor would permeate our suite.  After the parade of sniffers, first the plumbers came.  They took off the drain covers and cleaned a bit and confirmed that the two drains above our verandah were patent and only draining water from above, not sewage.  Then the head engineer came.  He tried a number of things. The smell persisted. More inspections and sniffers. Then the head engineer supposedly shut off some drain/vent. The smell went away for some days but then came back periodically. It gets less with wind from a certain direction.  We were offered another silver suite, but we were told we would have to move back to 726 at changeover day. This didn't seem like a good choice as we hoped the smell would go away. The smell comes and goes. For the last several days the smell has returned in full force. We cannot open our sliders for fresh air as its not fresh.  Finally today I learned the reason from one of the many “engineers”, it has to do with the grey water in a trap above us that can not be emptied. The grey water collects over time and must be dumped, but can only be dumped in a place that permits it. What this means is that we will get the smell If the trap can’t be dumped. We asked why this suite is allowed to be used and we were told that in very cold climates they don't get complaints as no one opens the doors.

3.  Air conditioning.  Last night our A/C failed for the second time. We couldn’t open the verandah doors due to the sewage smell. The A/C has finally been fixed. It required a team who had to open the ceiling. The dump of the trap also took place this afternoon. At the moment our suite is cool and has no smell. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The positives, it’s a silver suite silly!  But with a strange configuration, obviously it was two verandahs and has been converted into a single suite. One verandah suite became the living room dining room areas with a sleep couch, large closet, dining room table that seas four, dry bar and a complete bathroom with shower. The second room has a bedroom and large walk in closet with vanity and another complete bathroom. Lots of drawers and closet space, a double verandah in length, narrow but with a table and chairs and a single lounger. One gets “free” laundry with a silver. Its also located midship on the Cloud. 

And the major negatives. Keep in mind one pays a small fortune for this suite. It should be superlative. For us the Silver experience has been very tarnished for the following reasons. Not in order of priority. 

1.   Noise.  At about 4 am the gentlemen who clean the pool deck begin their job. They wash the deck and move the furniture. And the water from the deck wash and buckets and hoses goes directly onto our verandah from above like a deluge. The noise of the furniture moving is really loud, loud enough to wake me up.  We did mention this to our butler and the deck cleaning was started about 6 am instead of the earlier time. For anyone who wants to nap in the afternoon and is a light sleeper, this is not the suite for you. The constant moving of the pool deck furniture will prohibit sleep.  The noise also continues with the Grill as it is directly above 726.  The staircase to deck 8 is just above our bedroom in the suite, we hear all of the comings and goings! Those pax who are habitués of the bar seem to prefer the tables above our suite. They arrive in  early morning to grab their regular table. 

2.  Grey water. This has been a MAJOR issue since Reykjavik.  Our double verandah location has issues with the smell of sewage. Initially I thought this was from the bunkering that was happening. When it did not abate, we reported it and had a succession of people who also confirmed the pungent smell, those being; the guest relations, the head butler, our butler, the suite attendant.  The smell was so strong we really couldn’t open our verandah door, as the odor would permeate our suite.  After the parade of sniffers, first the plumbers came.  They took off the drain covers and cleaned a bit and confirmed that the two drains above our verandah were patent and only draining water from above, not sewage.  Then the head engineer came.  He tried a number of things. The smell persisted. More inspections and sniffers. Then the head engineer supposedly shut off some drain/vent. The smell went away for some days but then came back periodically. It gets less with wind from a certain direction.  We were offered another silver suite, but we were told we would have to move back to 726 at changeover day. This didn't seem like a good choice as we hoped the smell would go away. The smell comes and goes. For the last several days the smell has returned in full force. We cannot open our sliders for fresh air as its not fresh.  Finally today I learned the reason from one of the many “engineers”, it has to do with the grey water in a trap above us that can not be emptied. The grey water collects over time and must be dumped, but can only be dumped in a place that permits it. What this means is that we will get the smell If the trap can’t be dumped. We asked why this suite is allowed to be used and we were told that in very cold climates they don't get complaints as no one opens the doors.

3.  Air conditioning.  Last night our A/C failed for the second time. We couldn’t open the verandah doors due to the sewage smell. The A/C has finally been fixed. It required a team who had to open the ceiling. The dump of the trap also took place this afternoon. At the moment our suite is cool and has no smell. 

Always a problem having an open deck above your suite.

I never book one nowadays.

Must have a suite above and a suite below.

• Like 4

Just now, Stumblefoot said:

That really stinks!  Could not imagine enduring what you’ve faced at the price you paid.  Feel sorry for whoever occupies that suite next since they’ll be in even warmer weather.

Yes really does stink.

And we feel taken advantage of by the cruiseline.

• Like 1

Just now, spinnaker2 said:

That’s what I was thinking too.  Adds a whole other dimension to the word “stinks”!

Clearly, it’s a “known” issue, but the company chooses to ignore it until confronted by a passenger.  As we know from reading this forum, the poor Cloud has suffered from sewage smells for years.  It’s a shame it’s impacted your two voyages.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

How old is this ship now?

Mr lux

She's very old.

I have been told she is sold. Not sure when this will occur.

I have also been told that she has frequent issues, lots of pax have complained and repairs are becoming more difficult. 

Not sure how to let other pax know about the issues except in places such as this. 

It saddens me but we also feel taken advantage of.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

There is no appropriate reaction button for your post spins!  So very sorry that this is happening and putting a huge dent in your enjoyment of the cruise! 😔

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

And continuing in the corridor on deck 7 outside our suite and near the owners suite machines and disinfectant and flooding.

Okay now the appropriate button is "What the Hell ".  It's nowhere to be found!  Shameful!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

At around six am we were awakened by very loud hard banging sounds which sounded as if they  were coming from the hull or below. I looked out from the verandah  as I thought we'd hit something alongside. We are experiencing wind from ESE and still traveling to Norfolk at 12 knots. The pilot  just came aboard.

We have been told by reception the water in the pool is causing this noise. In all the years on Silversea I have never heard the pool make such noise. Looking at the pool now I see a few waves. Nothing to coincide with the banging which is reverberating and really LOUD.

We are rolling a bit, listing slightly to port.

The banging just stopped after an hour or so. Still no official word as to the cause. Maintaining  course to Norfolk but at 8 knots now. Winds ENE. Coming about. We can see the coast off the port side. Not sure why we took the course we did. Maybe there's a specific channel as there is a tunnel in the area?? Exit one to re enter or local regs to govern pilot? Don't know but wonder.

20230927_074237.thumb.jpg.dd83437705cf9223ca1cb19e902f0c7b.jpg

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes really does stink.

I truly feel your pain. We had similar problems on her sister ship.  Take pictures, then take more pictures.  Dont let them get away with it, keep pressing.  They will dodge and hope you forget.

So sorry that this has happened to you. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I truly feel your pain. We had similar problems on her sister ship.  Take pictures, then take more pictures.  Dont let them get away with it, keep pressing.  They will dodge and hope you forget.

So sorry that this has happened to you. 

Thanks. I wish we had smellovision. 

• Like 2