Live from the Silver Cloud - Reykjavik to Ft Lauderdale September 8 - October 1

spinnaker2

Today we will sail from St John’s to Louisbourg, N.S.

The overnight here in St. John’s was much appreciated by the crew, many of whom went off for some much deserved rest and relaxation!

Yesterday was a Sunday in St John’s and it reminded me of the passeggiata in Italy, except on steroids. Just in front of where we are docked is one of the Main Streets. So many people were dressed in summery clothes, walking, many accompanied by their children and dogs. An ice cream truck was just outside the fence of our docking berth, and what a business it did!!! And then of course was the cavalcade of cars, blaring music, many convertibles, roofs folded into the boot, getting every drop of sunshine. And motorcycles, with leather attired riders, showing us the power of their engines by goosing the throttle!  Joyful noises!

Today there will be a special lunch, the Seafood Invictus, prepared by Chef Devraj and his team. It will take place in the MDR and in LaT, expected to be well attended!! It’s definitely a highlight of the cruise.

The Captains Recap and Crew Parade is also tonight, aka the “fond arrivederci”, or the “I can’t believe we have to pack and get off”.  True, very hard to believe this segment is almost over, what an amazing journey through Greenland and environs.  The expedition crew has been terrific. 

We are lucky and will not be getting off the Cloud just yet. We be attending a gathering for this pax who are staying aboard until Ft. Lauderdale. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Today we will sail from St John’s to Louisbourg, N.S.   Today there will be a special lunch, the Seafood Invictus, prepared by Chef Devraj and his team. It will take place in the MDR and in LaT, expected to be well attended!! It’s definitely a highlight of the cruise.  We are lucky and will not be getting off the Cloud just yet. We be attending a gathering for this pax who are staying aboard until Ft. Lauderdale. 

Hi, Spins!  Am I understanding correctly that you were overnight in St. John's Newfoundland, not Saint John's in New Brunswick?  Two different St. John's can be confusing, right?  What are you doing in Louisbourg?  Doing super scenic Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island?

Can we get some pictures from that Seafood Invictus?  Hint!  Hint!!  Sounds very tasty and wonderful.  So much excellent, fresh seafood is available there in and around Nova Scotia.  Is Halifax an upcoming stop??  We explored around the Canada Maritimes last summer and super enjoyed that wonderful region of Canada. 

Glad you are sailing on to Ft. Lauderdale.  Keep up the great sharing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Hi, Spins!  Am I understanding correctly that you were overnight in St. John's Newfoundland, not Saint John's in New Brunswick?  Two different St. John's can be confusing, right?  What are you doing in Louisbourg?  Doing super scenic Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island?

Can we get some pictures from that Seafood Invictus?  Hint!  Hint!!  Sounds very tasty and wonderful.  So much excellent, fresh seafood is available there in and around Nova Scotia.  Is Halifax an upcoming stop??  We explored around the Canada Maritimes last summer and super enjoyed that wonderful region of Canada. 

Glad you are sailing on to Ft. Lauderdale.  Keep up the great sharing.  

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Terry yes st johns Newfoundland.

The seas were apparently very very rough and we were lucky to have a safe haven. Lee seas. I have been told that the Silversea vessel following us experienced rough seas to the point that veteran sailors were sick. 

I could not get a photo of the sea food due to the mob sea scene. There was plenty but you would never know from the pushing and shoving. We have a large group aboard who have other cultural norms and values. They take over everything. Not a charter because they are I think less than 100. That's enough.

We have been to St John's many times. And we are out of the harbor.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry yes st johns Newfoundland.

The seas were apparently very very rough and we were lucky to have a safe haven. Lee seas. I have been told that the Silversea vessel following us experienced rough seas to the point that veteran sailors were sick. 

I could not get a photo of the sea food due to the mob sea scene. There was plenty but you would never know from the pushing and shoving. We have a large group aboard who have other cultural norms and values. They take over everything. Not a charter because they are I think less than 100. That's enough.

We have been to St John's many times. And we are out of the harbor.

Just a bit of clarification.....Saint John is a city on the Bay of Fundy, in New Brunswick, Canada.  No 's.

St. John's, a city on Newfoundland island off Canada's Atlantic coast, is the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador province. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Hi, Spins!  Am I understanding correctly that you were overnight in St. John's Newfoundland, not Saint John's in New Brunswick?  Two different St. John's can be confusing, right?

deleted. Others have made my comment already.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I was taking bets as to which of our Canadian friends would correct us re: the St. John's vs. Saint John place names. I know that the difference exists with those two names, but have to look them up every time!

Mysty beat me to it. Although I was going to commend @TLCOhio for getting the St. and Saint part correct; St. John's NL is always abbreviated, and Saint John NB is never abbreviated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Signal Hill. 

As we left.

Think Marconi.

20230918_1111092.thumb.jpg.6e52b8be282f8758743e46741b4ab07e.jpg

I climbed up to Signal Hill and the museum there in 2016 when I was in town for a conference. I did this in 30 degree C heat, which was almost unheard of in Newfoundland at the time; I'm not sure what climate change has done since then. When I was packing I brought all long pants, but decided to throw in a pair of capris at the last minute; I wore them almost every day until the conference, which was, of course, air conditioned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Early morning Cloud. I darent step out on verandah too far as the crew is washing the deck above and water is coming down. We are going directly to Halifax as it was determined that the seas will be too rough and prohibit any zodiac landings. And today became the last sea day. 20230919_0457312.thumb.jpg.fc1574d5884a34fee69d017e313616ab.jpg

• Like 8

Filling the pool. We lost so much water sloshing20230919_0534342.thumb.jpg.dd22769d5019d1036847da54769e7e3d.jpg on the deck they finally drained a lot out before putting on the net. It's hard to believe that this afternoon it's going to get very rough. Too rough to land at our intended stop. Hence the sea day just before the cruise end at Halifax.

• Like 3

Predictions for the wind and sea to pick up about 2 pm today, as the expedition leader advised to take anti seasick meds about noon with lunch, for those prone to seasickness.  Its a bit choppy at the moment, wind is 26 knots and our speed is 12  knots. 

Nothing wacky yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Predictions for the wind and sea to pick up about 2 pm today, as the expedition leader advised to take anti seasick meds about noon with lunch, for those prone to seasickness.  Its a bit choppy at the moment, wind is 26 knots and our speed is 12  knots. 

Nothing wacky yet.

Good luck to Spins with these weather challenges.  Below from AccuWeather is the current radar view for what you are needing to navigate.  Fasten your seat belt and hope all works out safely. 

image.thumb.png.592458b85ec309f96708517934d3381c.png

• Like 1

Halifax.

Cloudy, chilly. 

The end of the cruise for the Reykjavik to Halifax leg of the cruise. 

Getting here through the weather was a bit tough. A rocky night, with unsure footing. Not a gentle rocking, more of a smacking. The hull took a beating!

The corridor was abuzz with activity in the early morning hours. The luggage colors were called, ending with dark blue. Then the all call.

We stuck a sign on our door that no service was needed today. Turn around day. The crew have so much to do! 

We watched as our deck was given a shower by a guy in foul weather gear. He smiled and waved to us. Our interactive tvs changed to the welcome sign.

20230920_0836312_Original.thumb.jpeg.390b63f726b40a35e57e2521dd1b584e.jpeg20230920_082328_HDRCopy.thumb.jpeg.f2a8ab475168760ee8d12758c789388c.jpeg

And so, Day 1 for those passengers traveling to Ft. Lauderdale, other than the 14 in transit passengers. Many of the in transit pax elected to go on a 5 1/2 hour tour of Halifax and Peggy’s Cove.  

I am sure there is much excitement amongst the passengers waiting to board.

Tomorrow is Bar Harbor.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Such a cool small town.  And, those crazy tides!  High quality lobster everywhere you look at fantastic prices.  

Did you mean exorbitant prices? Summered very nearby as a kid. When we were here in June I relived being stranded on Cranberry Island. Are those the tides of which you speak?

Glad that brain processes memories as if going thru old file cabinets. Once relived they are pretty much gone. Ahhh. Old age.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Did you mean exorbitant prices?

When one lives in the mountains, the lobster prices at the source in Bar Harbor seemed like they were practically giving them away. 

9 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Are those the tides of which you speak?

Yes indeed. Always enjoy watching people freak out when they realize the path they walked on “to” the island rapidly disappears when they want to return “from” the island.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

When one lives in the mountains, the lobster prices at the source in Bar Harbor seemed like they were practically giving them away. 

Yes indeed. Always enjoy watching people freak out when they realize the path they walked on “to” the island rapidly disappears when they want to return “from” the island.

In my case it was the boat 

• Like 3

Bar Harbor.

21 September. 2023.

We are at anchor. 

Along with a number of other vessels. 

20230921_111528Copy.thumb.jpeg.5fcef7cd04b23486f14d4ad4e2ba0882.jpeg

To get into town or on your tour, you must take a zodiac. The Cloud does not have tenders for use in ports.

We are running quite late, as a face to face immigration for all onboard (with USA officials) was called.

This day has been peppered with very frequent overhead announcements for either for the face to face immigration or for the zodiacs or the delays or the tours.  

Can you say train station!!!!  Just missing is the track announcement. EGADS!!!!

We enjoyed lunch at LaT outdoors, sublime! Sushi for DH followed by fresh pasta.

A nice crisp white wine. 

Kudos to the crew and waitstaff who are trying to cope with the changes at the last minute. 

The ship is full, about 92 pax are Americans,  41 are from the UK, the rest are from Austria, Canada, Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand and Norway.

There will be a sail away cocktail party on the pool deck this evening which, I imagine, will be well attended as it is gorgeous weather. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1