Rome - pre-cruise day advice

UKWildcatCruiser

We fly in at 11:25am the day before a cruise (mid-February).  Post cruise we will have 3 full days in Rome.  Assuming we get in on time, what should I try to see the first day?  I hesitate to book any tours in the afternoon so I was thinking maybe just getting the "free sites" accomplished, the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, and then either a food tour in Trastevere for dinner or a restaurant close to the hotel (which I haven't book yet) but will most likely be close to the Pantheon.  Also considering staying in the Trastevere area and maybe attending a service on Sunday in one of the lovely churches before we leave for the cruise.  Would also like to pick up a couple of bottles of wine to take on the cruise - are there wine shops for this or just go to a regular grocery store? Thoughts?

I agree with CruiserBruce. Getting out and about on the first day will also help you adjust to the new time zone.

There are small grocery stores scattered throughout the city so you shouldn't have trouble finding one for wine, particularly if you stay near the Pantheon.

• Like 1

In general, I like the plan, especially the 3 full days in Rome post cruise.    For the pre cruise just be aware of the drive times to Rome and then to the port the next day.   An 11:30 am arrival means you may not be leaving the airport until 1:00 arriving at hotel at 2:00 and you will lose daylight around 6:30.  Seems like the day might slip by pretty fast.   If it turns out to be a nice dinner, shopping for wine and a hotel, you may be better off doing that in Civi. rather than Rome.   

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

In general, I like the plan, especially the 3 full days in Rome post cruise.    For the pre cruise just be aware of the drive times to Rome and then to the port the next day.   An 11:30 am arrival means you may not be leaving the airport until 1:00 arriving at hotel at 2:00 and you will lose daylight around 6:30.  Seems like the day might slip by pretty fast.   If it turns out to be a nice dinner, shopping for wine and a hotel, you may be better off doing that in Civi. rather than Rome.   

I definitely considered it - but I'm not going to rush to the ship and we are early risers so I think we'll have about 4 - 5 hours on Sunday too.  I don't think I'd be happy in Civi knowing what is an hour away and not seeing any of it.  The idea of going to the Pantheon service on Sunday is very appealing right now (anyone know how about how long the service is? starts at 10:30).  It's just hard to say because I don't know how jet lagged I'll be.

6 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

I definitely considered it - but I'm not going to rush to the ship and we are early risers so I think we'll have about 4 - 5 hours on Sunday too.  I don't think I'd be happy in Civi knowing what is an hour away and not seeing any of it.  The idea of going to the Pantheon service on Sunday is very appealing right now (anyone know how about how long the service is? starts at 10:30).  It's just hard to say because I don't know how jet lagged I'll be.

I can recommend the hotel Abruzzi, we stayed there and the view of the pantheon from our window was exactly as shown on their website.   

• Like 1

My vote would be for Rome.

Never understood the huge rush to be first on the ship anyway. If you're of the same mindset you can definitely get some good wander time in on Sunday morning. If you're up early it's a lovely time to see Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona (both very close to the Pantheon).

I don't know what time the church service in the Pantheon would end but it's another good idea.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 7:29 PM, UKWildcatCruiser said:

The idea of going to the Pantheon service on Sunday is very appealing right now (anyone know how about how long the service is? starts at 10:30).

On 9/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I don't know what time the church service in the Pantheon would end but it's another good idea.

The service in the Pantheon will take under one hour. 

• Like 1