Cancel for any reason insurance

mattR

50 minutes ago, shipmeoff! said:

...Reservations phone bot took all my info to talk to someone about cancellation protection and then announced “close zero two” and hung up on me. 

Called back and got hung up on again. 

Unrelated to the CPP issue, but I also experienced the "close zero two" call disconnect today - 3 calls in a row. I finally got through to a live person to assist me by calling the PCC number (800-355-3017) and having them transfer me.

Sorry you're also on the wrong end of those calls - perhaps calling will also help. BTW - I do not have a PCC on my booking, I just called their number so I could get a live person to transfer the call and bypass the automated disaster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, retird said:

This may be the reason the cancellation for any reason is not sold to B.C. Residents

IMG_3436.png

I’m a retired TA in BC and I can say that all Travel Agents in BC have a limited licence to sell travel insurance (and only travel insurance) . It’s interesting that residents of BC,  Quebec and the other cities prohibited from buying the platinum policy as these are embarkation provinces/ states.  I wonder if there have been too many cancellation claims and the cruise lines are not seeing a profit to selling these policies ie last minute empty cabins due to CFAR claims. One thing about the insurance industry:  if the cost  to insure a risk becomes too much they will cease or limit  coverage.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Back in the mists of time (on June 2, 2023) , we booked a cruise we are going to have to cancel.  I think the deposit must have been non-refundable, because at the same time, we purchased the Standard CPP from HAL.  It actually was less than 10% of the fare.  (Booking total was $6679 each, insurance was $489 each).

On the back of the booking there is the Cancellation Fee Schedule.   As of June 1, 2023 (the day before we booked), the cancellation fee was $1160 per person.  Who knew?  We booked with one FCD  plus $1100 each.  I'm figuring that this cancellation fee is the price of the insurance, plus Club Orange, plus something else.  It will be interesting to see if we get anything back from our deposits when we cancel.  I am quite confused.

The 10% price is for the 90% coverage, I believe the "standard" plan only refunds 80% and if you bought the standard plan it is less costly.  My suspicion is you paid a $600PP nonrefundable deposit in addition to the $489 insurance.  If you cancel you will lose the $489 plus $120 of the $600 or $609PP.  Ironically had you not purchased the protection plan you would have only lost $600PP. 

• Thanks 1

As of tomorrow, BC residents will only be able to buy HALs standard cancellation policy.

And again, there are changes to other lines with respect to their cancellation/insurance products so if you had something in mind, best to look into it now in case you need to come up with a plan B.

I mentioned Princess already, but am told Cunard is another.

So if I live in Alberta, I can get Platinum Insurance on my Alaska cruise leaving from Vancouver or Ft Lauderdale, but as a BC resident, I can't.  I don't think that it has anything to do with the ports.  We usually get Platinum Insurance when we travel a long distance, flight involved, cruise is months out,  etc.  We used our insurance when we had to cancel our big trip 3 days before they shut down everything because of covid. 

My travel medical and cancelation insurance for federal employees is administered out of Ontario, I wonder if that is going to be affected.  

This has something to do with both the BC and Quebec gov't policies or rules. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 3:51 AM, Real NHDOC said:

The 10% price is for the 90% coverage, I believe the "standard" plan only refunds 80% and if you bought the standard plan it is less costly.  My suspicion is you paid a $600PP nonrefundable deposit in addition to the $489 insurance.  If you cancel you will lose the $489 plus $120 of the $600 or $609PP.  Ironically had you not purchased the protection plan you would have only lost $600PP. 

Yup, that's the way it has worked out.  Now, if HAL will reimburse us our Covid expenses, we'll pretty well break even.... (But that's another story.)

@Vict0riann my recent experience is that if you are reimbursed by the HAL plan for days in isolation (which falls under the trip interruption section) HAL will not issue you Future Cruise Credits for those days. I had my FCCs issued and once the insurance paperwork was finalized and the check issued the FCCs disappeared. After successfully reaching a Special Assistant to the President I learned that is the policy as they consider it double dipping.

• Thanks 2