Cancel One Passenger

PitCritter

We are booked for a 7 day itinerary in November. We have two cabins booked. One is for my DW and me. The other is for my 81yo mother and her 78yo sister. 

We recently found out that my aunt won't be able to make it due to deteriorating health. 

We're past final payment and didn't take any insurance. 

My question is whether to notify NCL now or just wait until we're at the pier.  I know there won't be any refund, but I just want to make things as smooth as possible for my mom. She tends to worry. 

Right now, I'm planning on checking in my mom online in advance and then just showing up at the pier. 

Any thoughts from the experienced NCL'ers here? 

Edited by PitCritter

1 hour ago, PitCritter said:

We are booked for a 7 day itinerary in November. We have two cabins booked. One is for my DW and me. The other is for my 81yo mother and her 78yo sister. 

We recently found out that my aunt won't be able to make it due to deteriorating health. 

We're past final payment and didn't take any insurance. 

My question is whether to notify NCL now or just wait until we're at the pier.  I know there won't be any refund, but I just want to make things as smooth as possible for my mom. She tends to worry. 

Right now, I'm planning on checking in my mom online in advance and then just showing up at the pier. 

Any thoughts from the experienced NCL'ers here? 

If a passenger is removed from the booking (pre-cruise is helpful to NCL), that person should receive a refund of some taxes and fees.

Have you seen this?

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Edited by ggTexasGal
added cancellation fee schedule

If you remove your Aunt from your mother's reservation, NCL will charge a penalty on the reservaton, plus your mother's fare will be repriced on single supplement.  Just have your Aunt be a no show.  She should receive port fees and taxes back.  If she ordered any  items like shore excursions or spa, etc.  cancel those.

Edited by Carrickbeg
  • Like 1

Had you had travel insurance your problem would be less of a problem.

Why no insurance?  Everyone should have travel insurance no matter what age.  You never know what will happen while on the cruise.  What would happen if your aunt got ill while onboard rather than at home.  Lots of money out of your pocket.

Just some thoughts for your next cruise. 

Take care, happytotravel

1 hour ago, Carrickbeg said:

... Just have your Aunt be a no show.  She should receive port fees and taxes back.  If she ordered any  items like shore excursions or spa, etc.  cancel those... 

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Giving NCL notice won't be helpful since they can't resell the cabin last minute anyway. 

Will my mom be able to check in online without her sister? As far as the "single supplement" comment above, she'll already be paying 100% supplement effectively. 

Edited by PitCritter

12 minutes ago, PitCritter said:

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Giving NCL notice won't be helpful since they can't resell the cabin last minute anyway. 

Will my mom be able to check in online without her sister? As far as the "single supplement" comment above, she'll already be paying 100% supplement effectively. 

They will reprice with a penalty.  It makes no sense, but they force a no show.  Just check the sister in as if she was going.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, Carrickbeg said:

If you remove your Aunt from your mother's reservation, NCL will charge a penalty on the reservaton, plus your mother's fare will be repriced on single supplement.  Just have your Aunt be a no show.  She should receive port fees and taxes back.  If she ordered any  items like shore excursions or spa, etc.  cancel those.

This is best advice .

my husband decided he didn’t want to go on a cruise we had paid in full. I had help with the what to do. If I cancelled him even though we were paid in full I would of been charged more!! Remember we had already paid for two people . So a no show he got tips , taxes and port charges returned and basically I went for my fare and his. 
it was a group cruise with family . We ALWAYS have insurance but he didn’t want to fly and so that didn’t come into play . 

• 6 months later...

Better late than never...

My apologies, I meant to post back sooner.

I can confirm that the no-show approach worked perfectly.  My aunt received a refund of taxes and fees to her CC and my mother checked in without any trouble.  I'm sure this is a regular occurrence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2024 at 9:23 AM, PitCritter said:

Better late than never...

My apologies, I meant to post back sooner.

I can confirm that the no-show approach worked perfectly.  My aunt received a refund of taxes and fees to her CC and my mother checked in without any trouble.  I'm sure this is a regular occurrence.

Thank you for coming back and giving us an update.

We are looking at a no show due to one having a baby and wanted to have no issues.

May I confirm…You checked in your aunt like she was going and then did a no show?

Correct?