FlightEase - KLM vs Delta operated by KLM

AbsolutSki

I started looking at flights from IAD (Dulles) to AMS (Amsterdam). There is a direct flight by KLM listed.  The same flight is also listed under Delta (operated by KLM in the fine print).  It’s the exact same flight - same departure, duration, arrival, KLM flight number, plane model, etc.  The two listings are at difference prices, however, with Delta cheaper by about $20.

What is the difference between selecting Delta for a flight operated by KLM and selecting the same flight with KLM?  Are there bennies with KLM (like maybe a free checked bag)?  Is one airline preferred over the other, in terms of its ability to get you to AMS if there are delays?

What I've found is the difference is simply $20.  I have a Delta Skymiles account, so I prefer to book directly with them.  I have upcoming flights FAI-SEA-AMS on Delta, then AMS-ATH on Delta operated by KLM.  

If you are a member of either Delta's or KLM's mileage programs, you will be able to obtain miles either way you book it.

Most airlines (Delta and KLM included) offer free luggage for international flights.  

One thing I've had to do when choosing seats for my upcoming flights described above, is to call KLM and ask for my confirmation code for that last flight from AMS-ATH so that I can get into that reservation online.  I was not able to choose my KLM seats on the Delta website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Taters said:

What I've found is the difference is simply $20.  I have a Delta Skymiles account, so I prefer to book directly with them.  I have upcoming flights FAI-SEA-AMS on Delta, then AMS-ATH on Delta operated by KLM.  

If you are a member of either Delta's or KLM's mileage programs, you will be able to obtain miles either way you book it.

Most airlines (Delta and KLM included) offer free luggage for international flights.  

One thing I've had to do when choosing seats for my upcoming flights described above, is to call KLM and ask for my confirmation code for that last flight from AMS-ATH so that I can get into that reservation online.  I was not able to choose my KLM seats on the Delta website.

Alternatively you can establish a KLM membership to manage flights.  I really like KLM but have only used them in Europe.  They don’t fly from my location, I wish they did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSki said:

Is it better to book the departure and return flights separately vs a round trip?  I’m thinking of how it works if I only wish to rebook one leg of the trip.

If you are booking through Flight Ease, it really doesn't matter. If you are booking on your own, booking two separate one way international flights cans be very expensive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSki said:

Is it better to book the departure and return flights separately vs a round trip?  I’m thinking of how it works if I only wish to rebook one leg of the trip.

If you book it separately the flight ease website will kick you out and you will have to call to have it reestablished.  It is just a quirk of the system.   If you want to change later it is simple to rebook only one leg though you may have changed pricing.  If this were to occur call FE and tell them what you want to change and they can accommodate without a price change on the kept portion. 

once you book go to the KLM Website, get a membership number and return it to add. That way you will be linked 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next question!  I think I know the answer to this, but want to confirm.  Now that I’m booked, I can’t see the list of available flights and their prices anymore.  Do I do a mock Change Flights to see them?  It wouldn’t release my booking by doing that, right?

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSki said:

Next question!  I think I know the answer to this, but want to confirm.  Now that I’m booked, I can’t see the list of available flights and their prices anymore.  Do I do a mock Change Flights to see them?  It wouldn’t release my booking by doing that, right?

Right.  Select change, have a look around and I simply close the browser if nothing appeals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would strongly recommend booking the flight with the actual airline flying the plane, in this case KLM, rather the codeshare through Delta.  In past experiences (not KLM/Delta) we have had problems getting advance seat assignments when booking a codeshare.  To get it resolved, sometimes you have to call to get it resolved, but sometimes they will just say that advance seat assignments are not possible and you will have to wait until you arrive at the airport to get a seat assignment.  I also feel, without any personal justification, that if something goes wrong like a cancelled flight, you have a better chance of getting it resolved faster by booking with the native airline flying the plane.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I would strongly recommend booking the flight with the actual airline flying the plane, in this case KLM, rather the codeshare through Delta.  In past experiences (not KLM/Delta) we have had problems getting advance seat assignments when booking a codeshare.  To get it resolved, sometimes you have to call to get it resolved, but sometimes they will just say that advance seat assignments are not possible and you will have to wait until you arrive at the airport to get a seat assignment.  I also feel, without any personal justification, that if something goes wrong like a cancelled flight, you have a better chance of getting it resolved faster by booking with the native airline flying the plane.

That last bit is concerning. I know you said it’s just a feeling.  I wonder if there’s any credible worry in that respect, even just anecdotes?

I fly out of "Delta Central", a.k.a. ATL airport, frequently for work and pleasure. Almost every flight is Delta and probably more than 50% of them are codeshares. 

It really makes no difference which flight you book. They've made it easier to get the cross-listed seats. If you book with Delta you can just call them and get the KLM booking number (it will be different from the Delta number). 

I agree KLM is generally a very nice flight experience. When you fly in one of their premium classes the food is great and they give you a little Delft house as a "parting gift".  (I leave them on the plane, just like I leave my HAL tiles on the ship..... 🤣)

image.png.d213528f08cf3e39027467fe089aa9bd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Mary229 said:

Right.  Select change, have a look around and I simply close the browser if nothing appeals

On 9/11/2023 at 6:47 PM, AbsolutSki said:

Be sure you do this yourself on FE and just close the browser without saving as @Mary229 said instead of calling FE.

If you call DE to check on pricing or alternate flight, they will cancel your existing flight just to search. They will very clearly ask if they have your permission to cancel and search; if you say no, they will tell you they can't search.

• Thanks 1