Wait to upgrade to Princess Plus until on-board Australian cruise?

muggo11

I have 5 Princess cruises booked in Australia in 2024.  All are currently booked as standard except for the World Cruise out of (rt Auckland) which came with perks that are now named Princess Plus.    All of them state that the on-board folio will be in AUS$.  I decided to upgrade one of the cruises to Princess Plus and it charged me in US dollars.  Would I be better off waiting until I’m onboard these cruises to purchase the upgrade?  Or has the AUS$ per day to upgrade set at current exchange rates so it would make no difference to my bottom line.  

IMO, you would be better to purchase on board because the US Plus includes CA and is priced accordingly at $60/pp/day.  In Australia, the CA (crew appreciation) is baked into the cruise fare and is not a component of the Plus.  The cost of Plus in AUD should be lower than $60 USD equivalent.

I believe this info has been posted once or twice earlier this year and I think I have it right.  IDK right off the cost of Plus Fare option in AUD, hopefully someone from Oz will see your thread and reply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muggo11 said:

I have 5 Princess cruises booked in Australia in 2024.  All are currently booked as standard except for the World Cruise out of (rt Auckland) which came with perks that are now named Princess Plus.    All of them state that the on-board folio will be in AUS$.  I decided to upgrade one of the cruises to Princess Plus and it charged me in US dollars.  Would I be better off waiting until I’m onboard these cruises to purchase the upgrade?  Or has the AUS$ per day to upgrade set at current exchange rates so it would make no difference to my bottom line.  

Did you book these cruises in the USA? I believe it makes a difference as AUS citizens cruise fare has Crew Appreciation baked into the fare and they book with a Aussie TA.

When you book an Aussie cruise out of the US, the cruise fare does not have the crew appreciation included, so you will still be charged a daily crew appreciation fee. 

Yes, the on board currency is Aus$ , booking Plus would be charged in US dollars as I assumed that is the currency you used when you booked your cruises?

The package levels will be adjusted to the Aus$ equivalent.

I believe booking on board will only make a difference if you have Princess insurance, as booking in the cruise Personalizer pre cruise, will increase your insurance cost.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, you would be better to purchase on board because the US Plus includes CA and is priced accordingly at $60/pp/day.  In Australia, the CA (crew appreciation) is baked into the cruise fare and is not a component of the Plus.  The cost of Plus in AUD should be lower than $60 USD equivalent.

I believe this info has been posted once or twice earlier this year and I think I have it right.  IDK right off the cost of Plus Fare option in AUD, hopefully someone from Oz will see your thread and reply.

AU $65pp per day. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

AU $65pp per day. 

Does the AUS $65/day only cover Drinks and WiFi? So if a U.S. passenger bought on board for AUS $65/day assume they will also get crew appreciation charged daily to their folio at the current conversion rate?

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

AU $65pp per day. 

7 hours ago, wallyj said:

Does the AUS $65/day only cover Drinks and WiFi? So if a U.S. passenger bought on board for AUS $65/day assume they will also get crew appreciation charged daily to their folio at the current conversion rate?

At today's wholesale exchange, this is just under $42 USD.  Adding $16 (min) CA, brings it to $58 USD, pretty much the same thing.  Princess will be using a set exchange rate that they change from time to time (same as they do for CAD).  IDK what their set AUD rate is these days, but we can see that CA is not included.

However, I did not think about my original post throughly and, wallyj, you are correct.  A North American guest is going to be assessed CA when booking in N.A.  However, I have read a post or two that indicated the USD cost of an Australia cruise is converted from the AUD and those fares do include CA (baked in).  So, they were making a point about not paying 2X for CA or getting OBC compensation, but needing to speak up about it as otherwise could end up paying double. 

I think we could use a bit more clarity on this situation.  IDK if Princess reps in US can answer correctly. 

One way would be to have one of our fellow CC Members (like @OzKiwiJJ) give us an Australian voyage that is for sale and tell us what Princess Australia website pricing is for a Standard Balcony cabin in a specific category like BB or BC where guest selects the cabin.  If they could give us Std and Plus quote for the fare and port taxes separately, we could convert to USD and compare that to the same voyage and cabin on Princess.com (North America) and see what the difference is - if any.  I also caution this is not necessarily a guaranteed reveal because Princess may be pricing the same cabin a bit differently in each market sector, notwithstanding a difference for baked in CA.

• Like 2

Thanks, all, for your thoughtful responses.  I do plan to call Princess today to ask them about the situation.  In the US Princess Plus includes gratuities and, as a US booker, I will be charged them as well.  I have the option to pre-pay the gratuities so the question is whether the other benefits provided by Princess Plus make financial sense.  In what currency and at what cost will help me make that decision!

Hmm. . . Well it looks likes the on-board charge for Princess Plus WILL be in AU$ but the Princess reps weren’t able to give me a rate.  So, given the time value of money, I think I’ll wait to upgrade when I get onboard.  Happy sailing, all!  

• Thanks 1

Was interested to read on another site how Aussie guests recently received emails from Princess two weeks before boarding their cruises stating that they will receive OBC of AU$25 pp if on Standard or Plus/Premier packages purchased before 14th December 2022

May be an image of text

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dides said:

Was interested to read on another site how Aussie guests recently received emails from Princess two weeks before boarding their cruises stating that they will receive OBC of AU$25 pp if on Standard or Plus/Premier packages purchased before 14th December 2022

About $16 US.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

At today's wholesale exchange, this is just under $42 USD.  Adding $16 (min) CA, brings it to $58 USD, pretty much the same thing.  Princess will be using a set exchange rate that they change from time to time (same as they do for CAD).  IDK what their set AUD rate is these days, but we can see that CA is not included.

However, I did not think about my original post throughly and, wallyj, you are correct.  A North American guest is going to be assessed CA when booking in N.A.  However, I have read a post or two that indicated the USD cost of an Australia cruise is converted from the AUD and those fares do include CA (baked in).  So, they were making a point about not paying 2X for CA or getting OBC compensation, but needing to speak up about it as otherwise could end up paying double. 

I think we could use a bit more clarity on this situation.  IDK if Princess reps in US can answer correctly. 

One way would be to have one of our fellow CC Members (like @OzKiwiJJ) give us an Australian voyage that is for sale and tell us what Princess Australia website pricing is for a Standard Balcony cabin in a specific category like BB or BC where guest selects the cabin.  If they could give us Std and Plus quote for the fare and port taxes separately, we could convert to USD and compare that to the same voyage and cabin on Princess.com (North America) and see what the difference is - if any.  I also caution this is not necessarily a guaranteed reveal because Princess may be pricing the same cabin a bit differently in each market sector, notwithstanding a difference for baked in CA.

hi, I hope this may be of help.

10 day Queensland cruise on Majestic Princess Sydney to Sydney 31st January 2024

BC M624 standard $1801

Plus             $2451

To upgrade on ship from standard is Aus$65 a day

A lot of pax non Australian, choose to remove CA. on board.

Crew on board cruises from Australia are paid based on our wage levels, supposedly higher than USA.

This site by @Ozwoody on the Australia and New Zealand forum might be of interest,

https:/drv.ms/x/s!Avy2pkw3rJmn9mOwoeFNxjXhtJE?e=YNPSN

Juls

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 12:22 AM, Normanville said:

hi, I hope this may be of help.

10 day Queensland cruise on Majestic Princess Sydney to Sydney 31st January 2024

BC M624 standard $1801

Plus             $2451

To upgrade on ship from standard is Aus$65 a day

A lot of pax non Australian, choose to remove CA. on board.

Crew on board cruises from Australia are paid based on our wage levels, supposedly higher than USA.

This site by @Ozwoody on the Australia and New Zealand forum might be of interest,

https:/drv.ms/x/s!Avy2pkw3rJmn9mOwoeFNxjXhtJE?e=YNPSN

Juls

Hi.  I have not had a chance to look at this until now. 

Same voyage/cabin category in USD, booking from North America:

Standard  = $1,058  +  $163.50 Port Taxes

Plus         = $1,658  +  $163.50 Port Taxes

This is what they are calling an Early Booking Promo.    Fare Codes N7S and N7P.

Not sure if you kept the port taxes out of your quotes or not.  (I think you did).

Today's wholesale rate for AUD from USD is ~1.5547 to purchase USD with AUD (which is in effect what booking in Australia is doing).  Princess doesn't use the daily exchange rate, but rather uses a fixed rate that they alter from time-to-time, per market situation.  I have no idea when they last set a rate, nor exactly what it was.  Based on your quote of $65 AUD for Plus upgrade which is $44 USD with Crew Appreciation removed, the conversion for that is ~1.477 (and PCL will have rounded to an even $ value).

$1,801 AUD / $1,058 USD = ~1.70.  This cannot be right.  Suppose I remove CA from the Australia quote to make it same "apples to apples" as the US fare (no CA included).  This means subtract ~$240 AUD and net fare is now $1,561 AUD.  That converts from the US fare at ~1.475 (1,561/1,058) - which is in the expected range of currency factor that PCL is using.

$2,451 AUD / $1,658 USD = ~1.478.  Again, this conversion is within the expected range that PCL is using.  No adjustments are necessary to cruise fares since both countries now have CA included in the fares.

We can see from the above that there is no discrepancy in cruise fare pricing.  

In the US, guests pay fares that do not include CA.  Those on Standard fare are billed on board for CA each day.  Those on Plus and Premier have CA covered in the package.

In Australia guests pay fares that include CA.  No extra billing if on a Standard fare.  The Plus and Premier packages have an allowance for CA and cost less than the package cost in the US (forgetting upcharge for Suites). 

A guest from N.A. booking an Australian/NZ voyage is going to be assessed CA either in advance or on board.  If on board, it will be an AUD equivalent to the cabin account each day.  If paid in advance from home, it will be the normal USD cost.  If guest purchases Plus in advance, it includes CA, so no cabin account billing on board.  If guest upgrades to Plus on board, they have not paid CA and will be charged to the cabin account.

Anyone disagree?  There was some discussion about paying for a Plus Fare from N.A. and then thinking were double-charged CA.  I don't see that happening based on the above.  Please catch me up if I have something wrong.

Returning to @wallyj's original question, we can see that Plus package (Premier as well) in Australia do not include CA because is is baked into the base cruise fare.  Therefore, a North American (Europe as well) guest upgrading to Plus on board will (should at least) be assessed daily CA.

14 minutes ago, Normanville said:

All fares in Australia have to include port fees and taxes. The fare advertised is what you pay by consumer law.

If you book an Australian cruise but live in the US you are definitely charged the daily gratuity. If you book with Plus or Premier there is no option to remove that gratuity. I have 6 consecutive cruises booked. The last 5 are all Australian cruises. Plus costs me $60 US per person per day. Two of those segments (a 2 day and a 5 day) are booked with the Standard Fare. I am being charged $16 US per person per day for gratuities. I "may" be able to remove the gratuities for those two segments if I desire but, having booked from the US, the gratuities are definitely being charged if not removed.

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If you book an Australian cruise but live in the US you are definitely charged the daily gratuity. If you book with Plus or Premier there is no option to remove that gratuity. I have 6 consecutive cruises booked. The last 5 are all Australian cruises. Plus costs me $60 US per person per day. Two of those segments (a 2 day and a 5 day) are booked with the Standard Fare. I am being charged $16 US per person per day for gratuities. I "may" be able to remove the gratuities for those two segments if I desire but, having booked from the US, the gratuities are definitely being charged if not removed.

Will see you on the 26th October leg of your cruise Adelaide to Adelaide.

Juls

• Like 1