Bath robes in public areas

CocktailPrincess

High end spas in UK give all guests white bathrobes and slippers (white towelling robes) on arrival which they walk round in all day to use the spa facilities and dine in their cafes and restaurants

In addition the best 5 star hotels have  them available in the room for guests to wear to walk to the hotel spa/pool and back from their hotel rooms with their bathing outfits underneath

Ive seen plenty of people on cruise ships wearing white bath robes (on the hot cruises as well) when walking to pool areas and the spa etc

I've actually always assumed they were wearing them as part of a spa experience on the ship and/or they were given them if they were staying in suites on the ship. So I've always assumed they were part of a luxury experience on board?

Never once thought that them walking around in them was inappropriate

But if it's people bringing them from home then fair enough. 

If you stayed in a suite in a 5 star hotel. You would actually expect them to be provided for you. Unless the hotel was saving costs.

As far as I'm concerned they  would actually also be fine for buffet or Quays dining IMO. Even though that's not your question.

If I can go for breakfast or lunch in those areas in my swimming shorts and a t shirt then I can certainly do the same but with a white bathrobe on top? In fact I can wear shorts and t-shirt  in the MDRS for breakfast and lunch on the warm cruises? Personally if I put a bath robe on top of those I would feel I was showing extra respect

Assuming it's the white bathrobes you are talking about? (Not dressing gowns). See below

Wearing a smart white towelling bath robe to and from the pools and spa areas no problem at all

Think some must be getting confused with dressing gowns above?  

White bath robes arent tacky. I actually associate them with classy venues.

image.png.5d0f3e7b035a8ffe006937028ad80616.png

image.png.9ba837fd5b98593ba20d237b5705848a.png

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

"Please note, there is no dress code in the 19th Bar, spa guests may dine in their robes."

Just found that from 5 star Luton Hoo Hotel

(This is where the Queen and Prince Phillip spent their Honeymoon and you can stay in the suite they stayed in for about 700 pounds per night last time I looked)

People all over that hotel walking to the spa and back in robes that are provided by the Hotel. Pool and Spa access is complimentary for hotel guests.  

It wasn't a spa hotel when the Queen stayed there but it's a very traditional hotel with fine history etc

Seeing people walking around in bath robes is not inappropriate 

Hoar Cross Hall is a 5 star award winning spa hotel near me (I'm a member) 

The Hotel is next to the spa and has a very nice restaurant and cocktail bar in the Hotel. 

Hotel guests and spa guests are all given white bath robes you can wear all the time. You can walk across to the hotel restaurant wearing them and enjoy afternoon tea there wearing them in the Hotel.

Only in the main hotel restaurant and cocktail bar  in the evening after 6pm would they ask you not to wear robes

• Like 1

WHY YOU SHOULD PROVIDE BATHROBES ON YOUR CRUISE SHIP

Published on May 12th 2016

Why You Should Provide Bathrobes on Your Cruise Ship

Cruises are well known for their many benefits and the comfort they provide that makes for a perfect vacation. Whether your cruise ship is welcoming a couple or a family, it should be equipped with all of the amenities necessary to help you stand out among the large competition.

Your ship might travel to exotic destinations and it might offer various onboard activities for diverse age groups, but if it doesn’t include the attention to details that keep visitors wanting to come back, such facilities won’t be as memorable. Having luxury bathrobes onboard are among those amenities that can set your ship apart from the rest.

A Luxurious Atmosphere

Every vacationer yearns for getting the VIP treatment, whether they’re staying on land or on a ship. Luxurious bathrobes will resonate a lavish aura throughout any space of your cruise ship.

• Like 1

I checked a Royal Caribbean thread about bathrobes in public areas. Heres a couple of the comments there:

(Its a good point re there not being "cover ups" available for men to wear like ladies can)

"The nice fuzzy robes are actually nice to use at night when going to the hot tub and then back to the cabin. I do not want to use a cover-up and get it wet for the next day, since nothing drys in the cabins. My husband does not have a swim cover up , as most men do not...so I feel a robe if going from the hot tub to the cabin is fine. I have felt very uncomfortable doing this the past few times because of threads like this.... I know some think it strange.

It is quite nice to put on the thick robe after the hot tub, especially when it is a bit chilly outside. My motto is, to each his own. I am not here to judge others."

"Although wearing a bathrobe in public is not MY particular style, it doesn't bother me when "older" people wear them during the day, nor does it bother me when "younger" people wear them at night to the "White Party."

People who matter, don't mind.

People who mind, don't matter.

The world would be a better place if people were more accepting and less judgmental."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Exit the tub, head back to your room.  Easy.  No need to complicate it.  

Why would anyone change clothes near the hot tub when every cruiser has a private stateroom within a 5 minute walk?  

Because it will be freezing cold.

Because I thought walking back wrapped in towels would look worse than a bathrobe

Because on a summer cruise I would sit outside till dry enough to slip on a dress.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Very few people wear bathrobes outside their personal cabins.  Don't be that person.  Obviously no one will "confront you", but people will look and judge.  Bathrobes aren't for public view.  

I don't agree with this comment, I have seen loads wearing bathrobes to the hot tubs or pools. As has been commented earlier a bathroom is different to a dressing gown , which I have indeed seen people wearing,  but only occasionally and why would any body want to get a dressing gown wet as material is different. 

• Like 2

Several thoughts: 

- I don't really know what a dressing gown is. 

- White robes are utilitarian, not classy. 

- Yes, spas and upscale hotels provide robes for use in the spa areas, where clothing comes on /off for whatever treatments or massages.  

- Getting to and from the hot tub is a bit of a non-starter; even if it's cold, the robe isn't keeping you warm -- I mean, your legs are still bare and your arms aren't in anything snug and warm.  And, again, you can get to your cabin pretty quickly.  

- Really, this is only one step up from wearing boxer shorts as outer wear.  If you open your mind too much, your brain /common sense falls out.  

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I have not seen "loads".  I did note one girl in a bathrobe in the Windjammer on my last cruise.  People were giving he

As would most people if they were wearing it in the buffet. The O P specifically said to wear going to and from the hot tub and that they wouldn't wear on public areas like the buffet. 

Wow your last paragraph below is a bit rude especially the last sentence. Wow again 

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

- Yes, spas and upscale hotels provide robes for use in the spa areas, where clothing comes on /off for whatever treatments or massages.  

- Getting to and from the hot tub is a bit of a non-starter; even if it's cold, the robe isn't keeping you warm -- I mean, your legs are still bare and your arms aren't in anything snug and warm.  And, again, you can get to your cabin pretty quickly.  

- Really, this is only one step up from wearing boxer shorts as outer wear.  If you open your mind too much, your brain /common sense falls out.  

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

May I ask what use you put any provided bathrobe to when they are provided?  Looking at advertising for high end cruise lines they all feature pictures of couples snuggled up in robes on deck or on their balconies.  P&O offer their use and provide them in de luxe balcony cabins and above and if robes are not provided in your cabin grade P&O invite you to purchase one.  I doubt they'd do this if it is offensive.

I actually take my own P&O branded white bathrobe on my cruises - ironically it was part of a gift package sent to me by a contact in P&O's Executive Office.  It didn't come with any warning of where I should use it!

A dressing gown - attached example on sale in Cotton Traders.

AJ10518W_original_neutral_dark-heather_305168.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I don’t see any issue with what the OP posted. However it is lovely to see so many non-Brits on a P&O thread, I do hope you’ll take the opportunity to experience life on board one of the ships so you’re able to participate in the discussion from a perspective of experience 🙂

Based on the judgmental views expressed here make me not want to try out a British cruise line. I don't need experience on P&O to know that wandering around a cruise ship in a bathrobe is fine. Eating in a bathrobe is fine. I'll quote they who quoted others:

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

People who matter, don't mind.

People who mind, don't matter.

The world would be a better place if people were more accepting and less judgmental."

I like my cruise vacations like I like my life. Simple and relaxing. Based on this thread it sounds as if P&O is neither. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Based on the judgmental views expressed here make me not want to try out a British cruise line. I don't need experience on P&O to know that wandering around a cruise ship in a bathrobe is fine. Eating in a bathrobe is fine. I'll quote they who quoted others:

I like my cruise vacations like I like my life. Simple and relaxing. Based on this thread it sounds as if P&O is neither. 

The person who has caused the furore on this issue is not UK based and appears to sail on American lines not P&O.  The regular P&O passengers are commenting back to that person.  Please don't think all P&O cruise passengers are like that person, most certainly they are not.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

They are also provided in suites on cruise ships? And hotel rooms?

In hotels they are definitely used for walking to their pools and spa etc and back from your room. So people don't have to change and be inconvenienced halfway.

Surely the same applies online cruise ships?

Is there a dresscode anywhere that says you have a to take your robe with you from your cabin to the spa or pool area before putting it on?

With all the hot tubs now on the big ships these robes are surely perfect? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, amajaa said:

@cruiseny4life it only seems to be one person who is being judgemental so don’t let that put you off cruising with P & O . We  have always found people on board really friendly

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The person who has caused the furore on this issue is not UK based and appears to sail on American lines not P&O.  The regular P&O passengers are commenting back to that person.  Please don't think all P&O cruise passengers are like that person, most certainly they are not.

Thank you both. You're right. I shouldn't cast aside a cruise line due to one person's opinion. Thanks for screwing my head back on properly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

So maybe you need to actually avoid the US cruiselines

Although Royal Caribbean you should be ok at least!

image.png.a9fdfd59441fda3cb70c8aa2d1a623ee.png

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

When I got out of the hot tub in my mankini someone begged me to put a dressing gown on.

Our bathrobes and slippers stay in the cabin wardrobe. I don't own a bathrobe, dressing gown, or slippers. I don't know the etiquette of mankini wearing, bu twould see the funny side. Do they wear mankinis on Saga ?. I hope Kalos has a photo.🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

Wearing a bathrobe to go to and from the hot tub or pool would seem perfectly reasonable to me.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So maybe you need to actually avoid the US cruiselines

Although Royal Caribbean you should be ok at least!

image.png.a9fdfd59441fda3cb70c8aa2d1a623ee.png

ICF I think you have replied to me in error.  If you read above the person this was in reply to thought P&O cruisers were making the nasty robe comments. I pointed out it was a US based passenger not a P&O cruisers making the snide remarks. 

I have my own P&O robe as mentioned above, a gift for being "P"!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

Not sure what country you are from if you don't know what a dressing gown is.

Who would have thought a topic like wearing bath robes to the hot tub, which everyone else on here seems to think it's perfectly acceptable, as do I , except you of course,  would make someone write a derogatory remarks like your last one . Not really acceptable.

As far as I remember  the Windjammer buffets are on Royal Caribbean not P & O .  As has already been covered elsewhere on here bathrobes are worn on the decks on Royal Caribbean frequently. 

Of courses bath robe will keep you warm otherwise why do the Scandanavians get out of their saunas put their bath robes on and go outside and jump in the cold water. Putting bath robes back on to keep themselves warm when they get out. Also the wild water swimmers often wear bath robes before and  after a swim.  So a strange remark to say they don't keep you warm 

• Like 5