NCL Pearl itinerary change?

tmgrry

The good news is that they’re putting out of the bar menus as normal onto the table, so presumably we’re stocked with provisions. Having said that, although my French is quite rusty, I’m fairly certain he just told some other passengers: “Je ne connais pas…” 

…words I missed…

then: “La pluie”… which probably means something like he doesn’t know about the rain, and I’m speculating he was saying he didn’t know any more than the rest of us. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Sean!  I'm amazed that there is confusion, even with the crew members, on what the itinerary is!  Surely they can't sail into this hurricane!?  It's absolutely dumbfounding why they refuse to say anything?!  I live in Florida and have experienced several Category 1 hurricanes, and this is definitely something you don't want to mess with, especially sailing in this weather with seas expected to be 20-30 feet!  Simply at a loss for words.  I guess a fully stocked bar will help with the uncertainty! : )  You now have 15 of my friends and family following your posts.  Thank you again!

3 minutes ago, philfair said:

Thank you, Sean!  I'm amazed that there is confusion, even with the crew members, on what the itinerary is!  Surely they can't sail into this hurricane!?  It's absolutely dumbfounding why they refuse to say anything?!  I live in Florida and have experienced several Category 1 hurricanes, and this is definitely something you don't want to mess with, especially sailing in this weather with seas expected to be 20-30 feet!  Simply at a loss for words.  I guess a fully stocked bar will help with the uncertainty! : )  You now have 15 of my friends and family following your posts.  Thank you again!

I think this is the norm during hurricane season, the vast majority sail, sometimes port are eliminated more changed, dates added or removed, but the ship sails. As you know with hurricanes, they can change (that cone of uncertainty), so decisions are made last minute (maybe pearl will end up in Bermuda?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philfair said:

It's absolutely dumbfounding why they refuse to say anything?! 

I feel your pain as I was on a diverted cruise last September 2022, from Bermuda to Canada in my case.  It wasn't until late the night before that we learned of the 180 degree direction change. We knew quicker by actually visiting the F***book pages and webpages of the ports we may be diverted to.

That said, I'm assuming NCL doesn't know with certainty which ports they'll skip or what/when they'll do as it depends on the weather and sea conditions....which, as you know, can turn better or worse with only short notice.  Hence, the best they could probably announce is "we'll probably do X or Y depending on if A, B, or C happens...).  If they did that, I'm assuming an equal number of people would be angry and disappointed in the communication.

I hope the best for your cruise!

• Like 2

Just now, mjkacmom said:

I think this is the norm during hurricane season, the vast majority sail, sometimes port are eliminated more changed, dates added or removed, but the ship sails. As you know with hurricanes, they can change (that cone of uncertainty), so decisions are made last minute (maybe pearl will end up in Bermuda?)

Absolutely amazing.  My brother is boarding a cruise in Cape Canaveral now and is slated to head to Bermuda.  He has been informed that the ship will still be sailing slowly on the way to Bermuda, behind Lee, and may be at sea a couple extra days before they reach port

Everything is operating here as if everything is normal. Guest Services just put signs out saying that no upgrades are available as it’s fully-booked.  There was just an announcement for the crew that embarkation is commencing in 15 minutes, and one of the staff who is directing people to their muster stations just told me we are still going to Bar Harbor on schedule!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sean224 said:

Everything is operating here as if everything is normal. Guest Services just put signs out saying that no upgrades are available as it’s fully-booked.  There was just an announcement for the crew that embarkation is commencing in 15 minutes, and one of the staff who is directing people to their muster stations just told me we are still going to Bar Harbor on schedule!  

OMG!  Bar Habor is exactly where the hurricane is headed.  I'm in complete shock!  WOW!

• Haha 1

I’ve just completed my muster drill, and I asked the attendants if we are still going to Bar Harbor. She told me “we don’t know yet.” And—I swear this is true—“we will know in about ten hours.”   There was a bit of a language barrier. Maybe she meant they’ve been wondering for ten hours.  Regardless, no clarity. 

Edited by Sean224
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sean224 said:

I’ve just completed my muster drill, and I asked the attendants if we are still going to Bar Harbor. She told me “we don’t know yet.” And—I swear this is true—“we will know in about ten hours.”   There was a bit of a language barrier. Maybe she meant they’ve been wondering for ten hours.  Regardless, no clarity. 

Your updates are amazing!!  Thank you, Sean!  Absolutely incredible!

The first announcement from the Assistant Cruise Director (whom I like — ditto with the Cruise Director) was standard. It’s a requirement that everyone must go to their muster stations and, also, our staterooms aren’t ready yet.  No mention of a storm at all. It’s like the thing doesn’t exist. 

• Like 1

Sean, I just read this from a small news site in Maine: "As late as this morning at 9, Norwegian Cruise Lines was telling callers that there have been no itinerary changes despite having emailed the Bar Harbor

harbormaster here Wednesday canceling its Saturday visit"

Edited by philfair
Harbor name left out

11 minutes ago, philfair said:

Sean, I just read this from a small news site in Maine: "As late as this morning at 9, Norwegian Cruise Lines was telling callers that there have been no itinerary changes despite having emailed the harbormaster here Wednesday canceling its Saturday visit"

Wow.

At this point it is clear either the crew don't know what's happening (which is concerning) or if they do, they're deliberately withholding the information (also somewhat concerning). Why not just tell people the truth? Even if it's just that oh, hey you know there's bad weather forcing us to remain in safe harbor here in Boston tonight, and we'll keep you updated as we know more.

This calls to mind the unfortunate NCL Breakaway voyage that sailed through a major winter storm in 2017. That was blamed on the crew's poor judgement as the weather forecast had been very clear from the start.

Edited by sfoh
correcting date of Breakaway voyage

I just booked an excursion for tomorrow, which consists of a boat ride.  (In fairness to them, they could easily cancel/refund it yet.)  

The people next to me at the bar are incredulous and angry at the lack of communication.  It’s a little stunning. At this point, I am becoming bemused by the whole thing.

As he said, “Just announce it!”  

6 minutes ago, philfair said:

Sean, I just read this from a small news site in Maine: "As late as this morning at 9, Norwegian Cruise Lines was telling callers that there have been no itinerary changes despite having emailed the harbormaster here Wednesday canceling its Saturday visit"

Edited by Sean224
More information
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sfoh said:

Wow.

At this point it is clear either the crew don't know what's happening (which is concerning) or if they do, they're deliberately withholding the information (also somewhat concerning). Why not just tell people the truth? Even if it's just that oh, hey you know there's bad weather forcing us to remain in safe harbor here in Boston tonight, and we'll keep you updated as we know more.

I am in total agreement with you! Why the secrecy, why not just tell the truth?  People aren't stupid and by acting like there in so hurricane is insulting! 

6 minutes ago, Sean224 said:

I just booked an excursion for tomorrow, which consists of a boat ride.  (In fairness to them, they could easily cancel/refund it yet.)  

The people next to me at the bar are incredulous and angry at the lack of communication.  It’s a little stunning. At this point, I am becoming bemused by the whole thing.

As he said, “Just announce it!”  

OMG!!! This is absolutely incredible!  They must think all the passengers are clueless and don't know there's a hurricane! Stunning!

Completely unrelated: it would appear that the computers are down at the bar.  The poor bartenders (who are awesome) are recording people’s drinks, with room numbers, on paper.  And it’s the embarkation rush in the atrium. It’s packed. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sean224 said:

They just said on the PA that an important announcement from the Captain is coming in the next few minutes. I suspect we’ll have some clarity then. 

Oh wow!!!  Hanging on every word! : )

Edited by philfair
left out

So - surprise, surprise - we are staying here in Boston tonight due to the weather. An announcement will be coming mid-afternoon about the rest of the schedule and how it’s affected. Anyone who wants to get off the boat has a 10:00 pm curfew (my word, not theirs). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, philfair said:

Sean, I just read this from a small news site in Maine: "As late as this morning at 9, Norwegian Cruise Lines was telling callers that there have been no itinerary changes despite having emailed the Bar Harbor

harbormaster here Wednesday canceling its Saturday visit"

Yep.  I sailed on a hurricane diverted cruise last September.  We knew way quicker on the impacts of our itinerary by visiting the social media and websites of our anticipated ports than waiting for NCL to communicate.  As you can suspect, NCL needs to have its communication reviewed by all levels, double-checking last minute weather and port availability logistics.  Hence the "lateness" of the communication.

It's maddening though. 

I hope you have a great cruise nonetheless.  (Beats being at work...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean224 said:

So - surprise, surprise - we are staying here in Boston tonight due to the weather. An announcement will be coming mid-afternoon about the rest of the schedule and how it’s affected. Anyone who wants to get off the boat has a 10:00 pm curfew (my word, not theirs). 

They actually made an announcement, that's progress! LOL!  You are a trooper, Sean!

Hi my parents are going on the cruise and it didnt make sense going to bar harbor when the hurricane was there. So i called the bar harbor master and he said that the pearl cancelled their trip to bar harbor tomorrow. That makes more sense to me. Just wanted to let everyone know. I was worried about them and all of you going into the hurricane. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, philfair said:

OMG!  Bar Habor is exactly where the hurricane is headed.  I'm in complete shock!  WOW!

Bar Harbor will be getting 20mph-30mph winds.... thats a sneeze for them, it will all be over Saturday night

Sounds like it will be a sailing to Bermuda, hope everyone brought shorts and a bathing suit Lol

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2