NCL Pearl itinerary change?

tmgrry

Hurricane Lee is expected to make its way into the Gulf of Maine Friday night into Saturday. NCL Pearl is set to leave Boston for Bar Harbor Friday afternoon. Any word on what the plan is for the Pearl? Just hold at the pier for a day would be my guess, but wondering if anyone had official word.

• Like 2

Sorry - it is quite possible you won't find out until you are at the pier.  That's not NCL's fault - they need maximum flexibility to see if it is possible to give you as close to a cruise as you originally booked.  But with the hurricane, people need to be flexible and bring a lot of different clothing (some people booked Bermuda cruises or Bahamas cruises that went to New England/canada instead that they found out about on the pier. ). Join your roll call  - one port and the morning of another was cancelled on my last NCL cruise and only half the passengers received the email notification so they found out on our cruise critic roll call (there was massive confusion because calling the NCL call center they were told the original itinerary was still in place so there were lots of pointless debates on our roll call about where we were going) so the roll call is your best shot since if anyone gets an official notification they will post there.   Good luck.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tmgrry said:

Hurricane Lee is expected to make its way into the Gulf of Maine Friday night into Saturday. NCL Pearl is set to leave Boston for Bar Harbor Friday afternoon. Any word on what the plan is for the Pearl? Just hold at the pier for a day would be my guess, but wondering if anyone had official word.

If you are on the cruise, you will be notified directly by the cruise line of any confirmed changes. Your notification will be via email and robocall. 

If you are not on the cruise, then changes do not affect you. 

We have contacted NCL several times about this and keep being told they have no updates. We are feeling very frustrated at the lack of communication as we are traveling overseas to go on this cruise & have no alternate arrangements set up. I am seeing other cruise lines post updates and nothing from NCL. Thanks for letting us know about the tunnel closed in Boston but how about the hurricane headed there??

Edited by Jlstar3

Maybe you’ll come to Bermuda instead…. We’ll be happy to see you.

5 ships have cancelled their call to Bermuda so far this week due to Lee hitting here with TS winds. 

Lee should be well past and gone by Friday afternoon and making his way to NE and Canada. 

Edited by bluesea777

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Maybe you’ll come to Bermuda instead…. We’ll be happy to see you.

5 ships have cancelled their call to Bermuda so far this week due to Lee hitting here with TS winds. 

Lee should be well past and gone by Friday afternoon and making his way to NE and Canada. 

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a fun way to avoid the storm.

3 hours ago, Jlstar3 said:

We have contacted NCL several times about this and keep being told they have no updates. We are feeling very frustrated at the lack of communication as we are traveling overseas to go on this cruise & have no alternate arrangements set up. I am seeing other cruise lines post updates and nothing from NCL. Thanks for letting us know about the tunnel closed in Boston but how about the hurricane headed there??

My gf and I have been laughing at the tunnel email. We are local to Boston, and just for the record, the sumner tunnel has been reopened since August 31. Anyway, we too are waiting for some communication from NCL on whatever changes they decide to make. Did anyone else have Canadian Hurricane on their 2023 bingo card? We sure didn’t….

2 hours ago, ryc1547 said:

My gf and I have been laughing at the tunnel email. We are local to Boston, and just for the record, the sumner tunnel has been reopened since August 31. Anyway, we too are waiting for some communication from NCL on whatever changes they decide to make. Did anyone else have Canadian Hurricane on their 2023 bingo card? We sure didn’t….

Almost…

Periodic weekend closures of the Sumner Tunnel resume from Fall 2023 to Summer 2024. During this time, the tunnel will close on Fridays at 11:00 p.m. and re-open to traffic on Mondays at 5:00 a.m. Traffic will be diverted through signed detour routes. Through the end of 2023, the tunnel will be closed the following weekends:

• Weekend of September 15
  • Weekend of September 22
  • Weekend of September 29
  • Weekend of October 20
  • Weekend of October 27
  • Weekend of November 3
  • Weekend of November 10
  • Like 2

See the following article from The Quietside Journal.  It states among other things that the Sep 16 visit by NCL Pearl is cancelled.  We still haven't heard anything yet from NCL, but it's apparent that Sep 16 is cancelled.

https://theqsjournal.substack.com/p/breaking-news-cruise-ships-begin

The canceled visits are:

13 SEP - NORWEGIAN ESCAPE 4,266 guests

14 SEP - AMERICAN EAGLE 200

14 Sep - VISTA 1,250 guests

16 SEP - NORWEGIAN PEARL 2,376 guests

16 Sep - CARIBBEAN PRINCESS, 3,110 guests

No cruise ships were scheduled for Sunday.

https://theqsjournal.substack.com/p/breaking-news-cruise-ships-begin

it says the Pearl will still stop in Bar Harbor tomorrow and then onto Boston on the 15th but that it has canceled it’s a September 16th visit.

The canceled visits are:

13 SEP - NORWEGIAN ESCAPE 4,266 guests

14 SEP - AMERICAN EAGLE 200

14 Sep - VISTA 1,250 guests

16 SEP - NORWEGIAN PEARL 2,376 guests

16 Sep - CARIBBEAN PRINCESS, 3,110 guests

• Like 1

Thanks K 80 Diver. We posted at the same time.

Why would NCL not announce that, yet it is already public knowledge. People will be arriving in Boston tomorrow. I am one of those people. I hope they do not wait for us to get to Boston to cancel the cruise.🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gcruiseme1 said:

Thanks K 80 Diver. We posted at the same time.

Why would NCL not announce that, yet it is already public knowledge. People will be arriving in Boston tomorrow. I am one of those people. I hope they do not wait for us to get to Boston to cancel the cruise.🤞🤞🤞

Welcome to CC.  They typically tell if changes near sailing or when onboard.  Not 100 percent will get any ahead notification.  Watch here for best chances.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tmgrry said:

My wife and I were on the Escape a few years ago going to Bermuda. An iffy hurricane changed that. We did not find out we were going to Florida until we got to the pier in NYC, it was a very last minute change. Needless to say their were lots of very angry people at check in. I felt bad for the people working the desk and pier, it was ridiculous.

Let us know where you end up!

Edited by Laszlo

This is an incredibly frustrating scenario. No information whatsoever from NCL even though it's clear from both the harbormaster in Bar Harbor and the weather forecast that the voyage will not happen as scheduled. I also looked at two Halifax port schedule sites (this site and one other) and neither have Pearl listed on Sept. 17.

I spoke to NCL twice yesterday and got the same runaround both times ("we will make decisions based on the safety and comfort of our guests"). It seems we're better informed than their call center.

Either they are withholding information so people don't cancel, or they just aren't organized enough to put a response together. It doesn't feel very guest-oriented, though.

Edited by sfoh

It's a gigantic hurricane.  All reasonable passengers would understand the need to adjust the itinerary; all NCL needed to do was send an email (which they are quite capable of doing when it comes to viewing the safety drill) explaining the situation when they cancelled the stop in Bar Harbor.  Instead, NCL has created a bunch of frustrated an angry customers because they find out about this on cruise critic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sfoh said:

This is an incredibly frustrating scenario. No information whatsoever from NCL even though it's clear from both the harbormaster in Bar Harbor and the weather forecast that the voyage will not happen as scheduled. I also looked at two Halifax port schedule sites (this site and one other) and neither have Pearl listed on Sept. 17.

I spoke to NCL twice yesterday and got the same runaround both times ("we will make decisions based on the safety and comfort of our guests"). It seems we're better informed than their call center.

Either they are withholding information so people don't cancel, or they just aren't organized enough to put a response together. It doesn't feel very guest-oriented, though.

I don’t think they care if some folks cancel, they don’t have to refund the fare.

The lack of response just shows how indifferent and uncaring Norwegian's management is. Sadly  my family and I have cruised Norwegian several times in the past but after this never again. I own a business with several thousand customers and I plan to make it known to all of them aware of how thoughtless they have been. I have called Norwegian several times the last couple of days about cancellating the cruise and one manager sadly was completely rude. What am my wife and I supposed to do fly into a hurricane? The New England area is expected to get storm surge, high seas, driving rains and high winds. Obviously even if they proceed with the cruise it will probably be a miserable experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3