NCL Pearl itinerary change?

tmgrry

Just now, Hwhens43 said:

Hi my parents are going on the cruise and it didnt make sense going to bar harbor when the hurricane was there. So i called the bar harbor master and he said that the pearl cancelled their trip to bar harbor tomorrow. That makes more sense to me. Just wanted to let everyone know. I was worried about them and all of you going into the hurricane. 

This will be my last post for a bit but, Hwhens43, despite the lack of communication, having just been on this boat for a cruise—I’m back-to-back—I can say that the officers know what they’re doing and I have no concerns about safety at all.  All of us will be just fine, and are lucky to be on a ship where there’s no alternative but to enjoy ourselves.  Your parents will have a great time wherever we end up!  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

NYC has 6 ships, 3 in port in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn and two in the River

Bayonne, not Brooklyn.

... And Norwegian Sky had to skip today's calling to Sydney NS and is sailing south, apparently to circumvent the hurricane, enroute to Boston (by the 18th). She is skipping Portland ME.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Bayonne, not Brooklyn.

Sorry, I was wrong ... it's now Bayonne AND Brooklyn!

Now 7 ships in New York! 3 docked at MCT, one docked in Brooklyn, one docked in Bayonne and two anchored in the Narrows inside of Verrazzano Bridge.

Announcement was just made on board the Norwegian pearl that the ship would be staying in Port tonight until tomorrow. Passengers can get back off the ship and stay off until 10 PM. They have not made any other updates to the itinerary or ports and are just monitoring, and will let passengers know. My mom is on board and I am about to get on in about five minutes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gcruiseme1 said:

Announcement was just made on board the Norwegian pearl that the ship would be staying in Port tonight until tomorrow. Passengers can get back off the ship and stay off until 10 PM. They have not made any other updates to the itinerary or ports and are just monitoring, and will let passengers know. My mom is on board and I am about to get on in about five minutes.

Such a curious cadence of information. Perhaps they want to wait for most of us guests to be on board before they make a full announcement, but Bar Harbor is 100% cancelled. The harbormaster confirmed it as early as Wednesday. Maybe they want to try for Bar Harbor on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sfoh said:

Such a curious cadence of information. Perhaps they want to wait for most of us guests to be on board before they make a full announcement, but Bar Harbor is 100% cancelled. The harbormaster confirmed it as early as Wednesday. Maybe they want to try for Bar Harbor on Sunday.

You do realize nobody on the ship is making the call. It all comes down from corporate. They are in contact with ports, weather etc.... They pass along to the Captain where he is headed when

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Sounds like it will be a sailing to Bermuda

You could be right, but I doubt it. The ship's next cruise departs Quebec City next Friday and it would be difficult if not impossible to cover all that distance in the time remaining.

They'll stay in Boston until it's safe to leave and then i think they're likely to cruise behind the storm's path and make whatever port calls in New England and Canada that they can until they get to Quebec City.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You could be right, but I doubt it. The ship's next cruise departs Quebec City next Friday and it would be difficult if not impossible to cover all that distance in the time remaining.

They'll stay in Boston until it's safe to leave and then i think they're likely to cruise behind the storm's path and make whatever port calls in New England and Canada that they can until they get to Quebec City.

You are probably correct, however they can get to Bermuda in a 1.5 days, have a couple days there and return

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

You are probably correct, however they can get to Bermuda in a 1.5 days, have a couple days there and return

But it's probably 3 to 3.5 days from Bermuda to Quebec City so with a delayed departure from Boston I would think a very short stay of Bermuda of less than 24 hours is all they could manage.

• Like 1

I just heard two officers muttering about not wanting to go North.  Perhaps they’re looking at the same forecasts as the rest of us and are wanting the storm to go by us, and then for us to get out of the proverbial Dodge.  There have been a few announcements from the Captain — in fact, he’s probably made as many today as he did for the whole previous cruise — but there’s been no new information about the itinerary, although he’s said we’ll get an update “late” this afternoon.  When he tells us what we’re going to do, I’ll include it here because I know people are curious (and have family onboard). 

Edited by Sean224
Grammar
  • Like 3

According to the guy I just spoke to at the Cruise excursion desk, they have news that the only port that is canceled so far is Bar Harbor(which we already knew) and that we will still be in Halifax on Sunday. The rest of the itinerary is supposed to stay in place as long as there is no damage from the storm.

• Like 1

At last, here’s the (probable) final word. Once it’s safe, we’ll leave—skipping Bar Harbor and PEI, continuing to Canada and resuming our normal itinerary for the last two ports (Saguenay and Quebec).  I didn’t have a pen handy to jot down the precise times but we’ll have some more time at sea, which makes sense because I imagine it’ll be a bit choppy. 

• Like 4

best of luck K

I have been watching very closely

recently I've had folks I know traveling on pearl  in both directions

they have all been very positive reviews

my son and grandchildren live close to the northumberland straight on PEI

I was there in mid august and saw the carnage from Fiona last year

I hope you embark a day later from boston

and have a fine time

obviously NCL have to discover what damage is done to the maritime ports of call

ill be in contact with pei family Saturday for sure

we are due to sail from quebec to Boston oct 6.    just over 3 weeks away

first stop Charlotte town.  Canadian thxsgiving Sunday and my Grandson Eli 9th birthday

get to celebrate at my sons home

I hope all you guys get a

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sean224 said:

At last, here’s the (probable) final word. Once it’s safe, we’ll leave—skipping Bar Harbor and PEI, continuing to Canada and resuming our normal itinerary for the last two ports (Saguenay and Quebec).  I didn’t have a pen handy to jot down the precise times but we’ll have some more time at sea, which makes sense because I imagine it’ll be a bit choppy. 

that will be lots of time at sea.    best of luck to all involved

I will be watching closely.  I have Nova Scotia cbc tv on my itv now

tomorrow ill be in contact with sons family on PEI 

Norwegian Pearl just updated itinerary… Staying in Boston overnight tonight(Friday September 15th) everyone on board tonight by 5 PM. In Boston all day Saturday 9/16.m. Ship will depart Boston at 12 midnight with Sunday at sea arriving in Halifax on Monday morning. Cruise still ends in Quebec city. Prince Edward Island port has been removed from the itinerary, so two days at sea, three ports beginning as on original itinerary still starting in Boston ending in Quebec City… obviously all of this is based on weather and sea conditions, and can change at any time. 

• Like 3

There are two unexpected joys to come out of this.  First, if you like aviation even a little, the views of planes taking off and landing—even if the end of the runway is obstructed by buildings due to our mooring—this is the place to be.  I spent a few hours today without the normal sail-away frenzy on deck with a drink just watching them fly by. 

Second, I’ve never seen a sky quite like this. I’m not a photographer but it’s beautiful.

An expected joy is Moderno, the Brazilian steakhouse onboard.  It is equally delicious and the service is equally wonderful even if we’re stuck in port. 

IMG_4047.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I live in downtown Boston just 10 minutes from you guys at the dock.... And yeah, I think it's good that you guys are staying put right here in the city for tonight...

I'm also a pilot and there is a saying in the flying community... and let me revise it for your situation on the ship >>>  "I'd rather be here at the Dock and wish I was out there at Sea... then be out there at Sea and wish I was back at the dock..."  Catch my drift???  😉

Hope the Welcome Aboard show and the Dinner was good.   I wish I can jump on board right about now and eat some o' them wings and pretzels at O'Sheehan's!!! 😄 (We were on Pearl last year)

Enjoy the sailing tomorrow!!!  Bon Voyage!!!

image.thumb.png.f63bf2d3d70b15e816857048012bf463.png

image.thumb.png.0afff2aa459664e54edf859803ad2d4b.png

image.thumb.png.8fd8bd7907e065774c46c9d39e66ac84.png

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sean224 said:

There are two unexpected joys to come out of this.  First, if you like aviation even a little, the views of planes taking off and landing—even if the end of the runway is obstructed by buildings due to our mooring—this is the place to be.  I spent a few hours today without the normal sail-away frenzy on deck with a drink just watching them fly by. 

Second, I’ve never seen a sky quite like this. I’m not a photographer but it’s beautiful.

An expected joy is Moderno, the Brazilian steakhouse onboard.  It is equally delicious and the service is equally wonderful even if we’re stuck in port. 

IMG_4047.jpeg

I live just north of Boston and that sunset was amazing.  Hope you get to see some ports soon!  We had been looking at this cruise but I didn't want to figure out how to get back to Boston from Quebec. lol

• Like 2