NCL Pearl itinerary change?

tmgrry

32 minutes ago, Kevindparks said:

The lack of response just shows how indifferent and uncaring Norwegian's management is. Sadly  my family and I have cruised Norwegian several times in the past but after this never again. I own a business with several thousand customers and I plan to make it known to all of them aware of how thoughtless they have been. I have called Norwegian several times the last couple of days about cancellating the cruise and one manager sadly was completely rude. What am my wife and I supposed to do fly into a hurricane? The New England area is expected to get storm surge, high seas, driving rains and high winds. Obviously even if they proceed with the cruise it will probably be a miserable experience.

It’s extremely rare for a cruise to be canceled for weather, it will probably leave Boston on Saturday. It’s hurricane season, they’ll go around weather if possible, looks like sunny skies Saturday afternoon.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kevindparks said:

The lack of response just shows how indifferent and uncaring Norwegian's management is. Sadly  my family and I have cruised Norwegian several times in the past but after this never again. I own a business with several thousand customers and I plan to make it known to all of them aware of how thoughtless they have been. I have called Norwegian several times the last couple of days about cancellating the cruise and one manager sadly was completely rude. What am my wife and I supposed to do fly into a hurricane? The New England area is expected to get storm surge, high seas, driving rains and high winds. Obviously even if they proceed with the cruise it will probably be a miserable experience.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

People need to be patient while NCL scrambles to find available ports/berths for the Pearl to visit on her 9/15 to 9/22 cruise. And they need to analyze hurricane Lee's movement, speed, winds and strength for the next few days before making decisions for passengers' safety.

Ship captains will NOT steer into hurricanes! They re-route to safer waters and ports. And they do not cancel cruises if they can re-route.

It's safe to fly into Boston today and possibly tomorrow also. 

Right now in Bermuda we're getting tropical storm winds from Lee that will last 24 hours. Lee's outer winds will reach Boston tomorrow and Pearl will stay in harbour overnight before sailing out of Boston when Lee has passed away from Boston.

NCL personnel that you spoke to are land-based somewhere, not in Boston, and they have to wait for the top people to make decisions. Not quite necessary to vent your frustrations at them. If you want to cancel the cruise you may do so - yourself - and you'll lose the money. If the ship can sail, then sail with them. That is called Mother Nature. 

Are you flying to Boston today? Hope you have some sort of weather related insurance.

Sorry, it's hurricane season - obviously you should know this since you live in Florida.

Storm happens.

• Like 8

The front line people from NCL were very nice. The manager I spoke to was not. I have cruised with NCL several times before and no complaints but I don't want to risk flying into Boston into a possible hurricane. Yes I live in Florida and hurricanes can be very dangerous and some what unpredictable as I do have first hand experience. 

best of luck K

I have been watching very closely

recently I've had folks I know traveling on pearl  in both directions

they have all been very positive reviews

my son and grandchildren live close to the northumberland straight on PEI

I was there in mid august and saw the carnage from Fiona last year

I hope you embark a day later from boston

and have a fine time

obviously NCL have to discover what damage is done to the maritime ports of call

ill be in contact with pei family Saturday for sure

we are due to sail from quebec to Boston oct 6.    just over 3 weeks away

first stop Charlotte town.  Canadian thxsgiving Sunday and my Grandson Eli 9th birthday

get to celebrate at my sons home

I hope all you guys get a happy week and make new friends 

I too live in north tampa.  so know a little bit about hurricanes

wet behind the ears 25 year old I went to grand Bahama for labour day week 1979

was stuck on grand bahama due to hurricane David for 5 days

cest la vie

best of luck to all 

ill be watching closely 

the most likely outcome on the pearl is the ship remains in Boston an extra day like someone else posted and a port gets skipped here and there. they wont be big changes like a totally canceled cruises. they will make adjustments. for adjustments like skipping a port, there is no needed to give you any notice right now. noticed about skipping ports is usually on the day of sailing or sometime during the cruise before the port call 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevindparks said:

The front line people from NCL were very nice. The manager I spoke to was not. I have cruised with NCL several times before and no complaints but I don't want to risk flying into Boston into a possible hurricane. Yes I live in Florida and hurricanes can be very dangerous and some what unpredictable as I do have first hand experience. 

When's your Pearl cruise?

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

And you haven't flown there yet, right. Rule of thumb, don't fly to ship on the day of sailing!

Sorry to hear that.

were boarding hopefully quebec  Friday oct 6.   going to visit great mates in Montreal weds 4

then train up to Quebec City.  finally I get to visit that city  after living 30 years in toronto

so lots of time to explore and buy some winter woolies

which I don't have after 18 years in florida

bon voyage and bon chance to all of you guys boarding tomorrow in Boston 

my main concern is my son and family close to water on PEI 

We are supposed to board our 9 hr flight there in a few hours & are extremely frustrated that the cruise line isn't saying a peep. Thinking of just canceling as we have the standard insurance.  Have anyone else canceled with standard insurance previous? Thinking we will get 75% credit?

3 minutes ago, Jlstar3 said:

We are supposed to board our 9 hr flight there in a few hours & are extremely frustrated that the cruise line isn't saying a peep. Thinking of just canceling as we have the standard insurance.  Have anyone else canceled with standard insurance previous? Thinking we will get 75% credit?

You would get 75% FCC on your cruise fare. Everything else is refunded (port taxes, gratuities, shore ex, dining, etc.)

26 minutes ago, Kevindparks said:

Tommorow September 15th. 

If you are flying into the storm, air travel may be disrupted. Flying in today would be better. 

NCL very rarely cancel cruises. The cruise must go on. 

If there are tropical force winds in the port (i.e., currently in tropical storm warning state), it unlikely that the ship stay there. It is safer at sea. 

Jlstar —. We’ll let you know how this turns out!   Sorry you had to cancel but I completely understand esp flying nine hours into who knows what!  NCL still won’t admit a thing and even in this late hour they say nothing is changed. My attitude now is this is a big mystery cruise and it’s all a surprise tomorrow.

I believe if NCL had just been forthcoming and told everyone what they were doing or trying to plan we’d be more understanding. However, it is almost comical at this point for them to continue saying there are no changes to the cruise. 

It will be an experience anyway you look at it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

I just read on this Cruise Critic NCL page that the Pearl is overnighting in Boston Harbor Friday night (but can't seem to find the post to quote!)  Best of luck everyone, and I know it will be a fabulous cruise

Post numbers 20 and 22 of this thread.

53 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

I just read on this Cruise Critic NCL page that the Pearl is overnighting in Boston Harbor Friday night (but can't seem to find the post to quote!)  Best of luck everyone, and I know it will be a fabulous cruise

It was post #20 and #22 on this thread. A rumor from a dock worker in Boston (A very reliable source).

I think it would be unusual for a ship to stay in port with tropical force winds,,, but the wind forecasts are decreasing, despite the tropical storm warning. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

I think it would be unusual for a ship to stay in port with tropical force winds

It happened on one of my cruises a few years back and it just happened in Bermuda during the previous tropical storm when an NCL ship was moored at Dockyard and an Oceania ship was moored in Hamilton. A tug assisted the small Oceania ship in staying moored but the NCL ship was able to do it without assistance.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

It happened on one of my cruises a few years back and it just happened in Bermuda during the previous tropical storm when an NCL ship was moored at Dockyard and an Oceania ship was moored in Hamilton. A tug assisted the small Oceania ship in staying moored but the NCL ship was able to do it without assistance.

Yep, that happened when hurricane Idalia strengthened overnight (instead of weakening) and both ships got stuck here in Bermuda.

The tropical storm winds were coming from the north east so that was why Oceania Insignia needed the tug boat to push the ship back against the dock. The NCL Joy was okay as the wind was already pushing the ship against the dock.

Joy left Bermuda one day late .... she made a beeline thru the channel and out at increased speed than should be to avoid being grounded. Strong currents.

5 ships cancelled their visit to Bermuda this week. 

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It was post #20 and #22 on this thread. A rumor from a dock worker in Boston (A very reliable source).

I think it would be unusual for a ship to stay in port with tropical force winds,,, but the wind forecasts are decreasing, despite the tropical storm warning. 

I'm not a dock worker, I don't make as much as them LOL. I work assisting passengers on and off the ship.

• Like 1

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) continues to maintain silence regarding the cruise's status. Currently, they are allowing passengers to board the ship, and it appears they will remain in Boston for the next two days if the cruise is not canceled entirely. Unfortunately, all the ports along the itinerary have closed their harbors, leaving us completely in the dark about NCL's plans. There have been no notifications, alerts, or messages whatsoever regarding the cruise's status. This experience has, without a doubt, been marked by the most abysmal customer service I've ever encountered. I guess when it comes down to it, we really don't matter and it's all about their bottom line.

I am onboard the ship currently (cruising back-to-back). Mixed messages here, too, for what it’s worth.  Guest Services maintains that we’re departing as scheduled and they haven’t heard anything about any change in itinerary.  However, another staff member transiting through the atrium said he “heard” we’re staying here in Boston. 

• Like 1

Sean224, can you please keep everyone updated?  We were on the same cruise but canceled due to the uncertainty and being informed that 3 of the ports, in the itinerary, have closed their harbors for the next few days.  Norwegian, as you know, is still not saying anything on whether they're still sailing.  The absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced. 

3 minutes ago, philfair said:

Sean224, can you please keep everyone updated?  We were on the same cruise but canceled due to the uncertainty and being informed that 3 of the ports, in the itinerary, have closed their harbors for the next few days.  Norwegian, as you know, is still not saying anything on whether they're still sailing.  The absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced. 

Sure, I’m happy to do so. I am one of the lucky ones because I’m already onboard, so there aren’t any travel arrangements that can be ruined for me (presuming they don’t cancel the cruise entirely while I’m sitting here or fail to deliver us to Quebec in a week).  Right now, we’re in the limbo period—no new passengers onboard yet and the crew are preparing for the influx. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1