Snorkel recommendations at Ocean Cay

Envelope21

• 2 weeks later...

The rocks on the left side of Bimini Beach, the furthest from the ship, had a lot of sea life all around it. I saw probably half a dozen or so different species. It was a little choppy that day as the wind was coming in from that direction, but nothing too bad. As long as you don't try to swim into the channel into the lagoon, the jet ski lifeguard didn't seem to have a problem with me or anyone else snorkeling over there.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, Envelope21 said:

Oh my! Not a real one, I hope!

There used to be a real one off of Royal’s Coco Cay. Unfortunately, they removed it. Only got to snorkel a few times around it.

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Is there an actual decent reef swimmable from shore?  

The propag... I mean promotional materials make it sound like they hope something can rebuild itself on the East side in a "coral nursery" now that they've done the clean up: https://issuu.com/msc-cruises/docs/msc-cruises-cor-press-kit-ocean-cay-msc-marine-res?fr=sZDU1MjU4NjExMzc

(p. 10-11 of their brochure)

For those of you following along at home, one of the East beaches is the YC beach. If a reef does become restored out there first, that would be a major perk for the YCers.

E.T.A. (Note the conditional bit above. I'd believe the actual experience of the CCer above who said there's nothing up there as of yet.)

Edited by Saving Up To Be Eccentric

40 minutes ago, Saving Up To Be Eccentric said:

The propag... I mean promotional materials make it sound like they hope something can rebuild itself on the East side in a "coral nursery" now that they've done the clean up: https://issuu.com/msc-cruises/docs/msc-cruises-cor-press-kit-ocean-cay-msc-marine-res?fr=sZDU1MjU4NjExMzc

(p. 10-11 of their brochure)

For those of you following along at home, one of the East beaches is the YC beach. If a reef does become restored out there first, that would be a major perk for the YCers.

E.T.A. (Note the conditional bit above. I'd believe the actual experience of the CCer above who said there's nothing up there as of yet.)

Thank you.  We did book the shipwreck snorkel and plan to keep looking out for possible areas when we are there in January.  We will be in the YC so we may venture out there.  The fact that it is rocky getting out from the beach is a potential positive for us (sand = crappy snorkeling).  I read the lighthouse area was good snorkeling but the videos I saw left much to be desired.  Seeing a few fish is good for beginners.