Mashed Potatoes

Cruising Princess

It's kind of hard to believe all the negative reviews and comments about Celebrity in general.

Food ( quality, selection, portions , cold soup ) , no "this", no "that " , a child in the Solarium, no towel animal on my bed, no response from the Executive Office.

We were on 2 cruises this winter-- both were excellent -- no complaints.

We know two couples that were on two separate ships in the last month --- loved their cruise.

If people are so upset with Celebrity, why are they interested in looking at Celebrity's CC site ?

For example-- We have no interest in Carnival , so I don't look at their CC site.

Make sense ??

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

If people are so upset with Celebrity, why are they interested in looking at Celebrity's CC site ?

Good question, would love to understand. Nostalgic reasons maybe? 

We loved our early September cruise too and saw a ship full of people having a great time. Most live reviews on here are more positive than negative. With all of the negativity I am losing interest in looking here. Yet I still am here for some reason, mainly because as a new cruiser, have learnt lots here. 

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 2

I guess I am missing something here about mashed potatoes, and yes I grew up in the Midwest eating mashed potatoes my whole life. Shouldn't we complain about baked potatoes too? They are even easier to make and look terrible on a plate.

Isn't throwing some extra broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, etc the same thing? All of the above are super easy, even I can make them. Or is it a how it looks on the plate thing that asparagus, etc, looks better than mashed potatoes? Basically they are filling the plate to cover for smaller portions, or the lack of prime rib and other stuff that was missing from our menus back in February.

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I guess I am missing something here about mashed potatoes, and yes I grew up in the Midwest eating mashed potatoes my whole life. Shouldn't we complain about baked potatoes too? They are even easier to make and look terrible on a plate.

Isn't throwing some extra broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, etc the same thing? All of the above are super easy, even I can make them. Or is it a how it looks on the plate thing that asparagus, etc, looks better than mashed potatoes? Basically they are filling the plate to cover for smaller portions, or the lack of prime rib and other stuff that was missing from our menus back in February.

The thing about the recent mashed potato postings are some are saying they are being offered on the most of the entrees in the MDR. From the menus posted here on CC by a few from their recent cruises that is not the case. Not saying the mashed potatoes aren't on the menu and maybe more than in the past (?).  I will substitute the mashed potatoes or any style potato like I have always in the past if I want something different as I'm not a huge potato fan. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, doghog said:

The thing about the recent mashed potato postings are some are saying they are being offered on the most of the entrees in the MDR. From the menus posted here on CC by a few from their recent cruises that is not the case. Not saying the mashed potatoes aren't on the menu and maybe more than in the past (?).  I will substitute the mashed potatoes or any style potato like I have always in the past if I want something different as I'm not a huge potato fan. 

My point was it is just a plate filler, and I would rather have more main than plate fillers. The only exception might be asparagus lol. It is easy to drop more veggies or mashed on the plate to allow for a smaller cut of meat or fish, but still make the plate look properly full. I am just glad that it sounds like they added stuff like prime rib back now. Not sure if our February trip was rock bottom, or if the definition changes monthly.

5 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

My point was it is just a plate filler, and I would rather have more main than plate fillers. The only exception might be asparagus lol. It is easy to drop more veggies or mashed on the plate to allow for a smaller cut of meat or fish, but still make the plate look properly full. I am just glad that it sounds like they added stuff like prime rib back now. Not sure if our February trip was rock bottom, or if the definition changes monthly.

Order a second entee. I only eat what I like. I have. Please don't tell me about waste and starving  people worldwide. Don't care, not my concern. 

• Like 1

I am affected by these posts and somewhat entertained being here. Helping me with expectations. Honestly, I never want to see mashed potatoes again. The other day I had a catered lunch (not on the ship) and we were given salad, bread and the entree was a grilled chicken breast with broccolinni….well prepared….and no starch. Perfection 

I think there has been a recent change in the MDR that has disappointed people. CC needs to keep up their quality in all dining venues.

2 cruises on the same ship a year apart and what a difference in MDR. So much more mashed potatoes which don’t get me wrong I enjoy but it is just about the most uninspired side dish you can have. The whole MDR menu was uninspired and slow to come out of the kitchen. Also why is it impossible to get a side portion of a dish on the menu.

• Like 1

My mashed potatoes are a thing of beauty.

Always made with Maris Pipers I grate extra mature cheddar cheese, caramelized onion and garlic powder into them and then bake them in our 50-year-old Aga oven till there's a rock hard crust on them.

Served piping hot with a grilled T-bone smothered in garlic butter and some tenderstem broccoli.

Accompanied by a bottle of decent Tempranillo.

I only perform this culinary masterpiece once in a while to remind Mrs Baggy of the standard of vittles I expect on the regular basis.Sadly it has no effect although on the plus side my wife's terrible cooking does at least keep me only moderately obese...

• Haha 3

First, I must clarify, we are very simple basic food consumers. 

My husband and I sailed on the Solstice in April of 2023 and we were quite pleased with the food in the MDR.  This was our second cruise on the Solstice, the last one in 2019.  We felt the food was the same quality this time as last time.

In August 2023, we sailed on the Eclipse to Alaska.  At the time the cruise line was in the process of trying out the new menu; the reduced number of entrees and the elimination of the Classic dinners.  We were with another couple on this cruise, all four of us were of the same opinion, "the food was unimpressive in the MDR". 

It seemed that most of the meals I ordered were served with dry mashed potatoes and chewy green beans.  There were very few vegetables.  On the bright side, our waiter was very attentive and came to understand my dislike for the chewy green beans and lack of vegetables and he would bring me a very appetizing bowl of vegetables on the side.

Next year, we are on the Eclipse again when we cruise to Bermuda .  I pray that by then they have adjusted and mastered the new menu so it is more palatable.

Edited by Wheel5660
  • Like 1