Emerald electrical outlets

Worldtraveler22

If you are asking about whether you need a voltage converter, the answer is almost certainly no. Any modern phone charger will be dual voltage. Somewhere on the charger itself (frequently just in raised print but sometimes a sticker) it should say something like "input: 100-240v". If it does, all you might need is a plug adapter. Some lines have US plugs on board, others do not. I don't know about Emerald. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Phone chargers laptop chargers, almost all chargers are dual voltage.  Even wife's travel CPAP is dual voltage.  She also has a dual voltage curling iron she picked up at Target for ~$10.  Can't think of anything one might bring on a cruise or trip that would require a voltage converter---just an adapter for the plug.

This is probably why hotels provide hair dryers---a hair dryer that would  require a voltage converter would probably burn out if one was not used, which then becomes a fire hazard.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

If you are asking about whether you need a voltage converter, the answer is almost certainly no. Any modern phone charger will be dual voltage. Somewhere on the charger itself (frequently just in raised print but sometimes a sticker) it should say something like "input: 100-240v". If it does, all you might need is a plug adapter. Some lines have US plugs on board, others do not. I don't know about Emerald. Hopefully someone will chime in.

The cruise line that I sail with has US plugs in the room. That is why I asked about the Emerald cruise line.  

2 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Phone chargers laptop chargers, almost all chargers are dual voltage.  Even wife's travel CPAP is dual voltage.  She also has a dual voltage curling iron she picked up at Target for ~$10.  Can't think of anything one might bring on a cruise or trip that would require a voltage converter---just an adapter for the plug.

This is probably why hotels provide hair dryers---a hair dryer that would  require a voltage converter would probably burn out if one was not used, which then becomes a fire hazard.

Have you sailed on Emerald River Cruises?  I’m looking for the answer for this cruise line.  My cruise line that I sail on many times has a US plug in the stateroom and you don’t need to bring anything if you are from Canada or the US or Mexico

3 hours ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Hi.  Does anyone know if US phone chargers can be used in your stateroom or do you need a converter?

The power on Emerald Star ships is 240Volt, European standard plug. There is a single 110 Volt North American type outlet in the bathroom.

Since I was spending a week in London prior to my Emerald Dawn cruise, I bought a universal adapter that includes 4 USB and 1 USB C charging ports: It's $24 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8SLNBDP/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Have you sailed on Emerald River Cruises?  I’m looking for the answer for this cruise line.  My cruise line that I sail on many times has a US plug in the stateroom and you don’t need to bring anything if you are from Canada or the US or Mexico

It's really more a function of what you are plugging into the outlet, not the voltage of the outlet itself.  My point is that in most cases a converter is not necessary.  Just need the correct adapter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

It's really more a function of what you are plugging into the outlet, not the voltage of the outlet itself.  My point is that in most cases a converter is not necessary.  Just need the correct adapter.

Which was what I said too. However, it seems that the question was not really about converters, it was whether plug ADAPTERS would be required on Emerald, which was answered by @MrDogDad, that yes plug adapters would be required. 

I would add that the 110v outlet with North American plugs in the bathroom is only to be used for an electric shaver. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Which was what I said too. However, it seems that the question was not really about converters, it was whether plug ADAPTERS would be required on Emerald, which was answered by @MrDogDad, that yes plug adapters would be required. 

I would add that the 110v outlet with North American plugs in the bathroom is only to be used for an electric shaver. 

Well, I know it says that but I've always used an led nightlight in that location.