2025 WC cancellation details

bayonejoe

Can anyone that has booked the 2025 WC tell me what the cancellation fee is for up to 181days prior to departure.

I am looking at this cruise and I have been told that it is 10% of cruise price.

This seems high since The same fee for the 2024 WC was $250.

Thanks

Hmmm.

I thought I could respond as my TA placed a conditional booking for this.  But looking through the emails, I don't see an actual confirm.  Just her stating "it is my understanding that there is a $250 fee prior to 181 days that can be converted into FCC."

I decided not to book this for several reasons, including no 5% on board credit unless booked  on board, plus I want to see how NC rates with my own experience before placing another booking. 

• Like 1

@bayonejoe  Found the invoice!   Directly from the invoice:

All Crystal cruises may be cancelled prior to the final payment date with only
an administration fee being assessed. Once the respective final payment date
arrives, the below fee structure applies.
Cruise
UNTIL 181 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FIXED RATE $125.00

Now...I do believe the $125 is a mistake...but that is what the invoice says.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, History&Wine said:

@bayonejoe  Found the invoice!   Directly from the invoice:

All Crystal cruises may be cancelled prior to the final payment date with only
an administration fee being assessed. Once the respective final payment date
arrives, the below fee structure applies.
Cruise
UNTIL 181 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FIXED RATE $125.00

Now...I do believe the $125 is a mistake...but that is what the invoice says.....

Is that invoice for a single occupancy?

Mine is for $250.00 I’m guessing it’s because it’s for a double occupancy invoice?

My invoice for one segment of the WC 2025 says:

All Crystal cruises may be cancelled prior to the final payment date with only an administration fee being assessed. Once the respective final payment date arrives, the below fee structure applies.
Cruise
UNTIL 121 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FIXED RATE US 125.

Thanks to all for your replies. According to my very competent TA Crystal still insists on a 10% cancellation fee. No Explanation!
I will again present my concerns to the representative on board. 

And see where this goes. Will this be a deal breaker? We’ll see.

Currently on Serenity, Marseille to NY. Returning for 2024 WC. Booked 2024 Symphony and 2025 Serenity cruises.

Love Crystal, but

5 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

Thanks to all for your replies. According to my very competent TA Crystal still insists on a 10% cancellation fee. No Explanation!
I will again present my concerns to the representative on board. 

And see where this goes. Will this be a deal breaker? We’ll see.

Currently on Serenity, Marseille to NY. Returning for 2024 WC. Booked 2024 Symphony and 2025 Serenity cruises.

Love Crystal, but

I would definitely get clarification from the Crystal rep if you have one right there.

Vince

2 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

Vince,

I have been trying! Too no avail.

I will talk to her today,again. Very frustrating 

We've also been going through this with Crystal for well over one month. 

The initial invoice said our Final Payment was due 6 months prior to the cruise. We eventually got that corrected to 4 months (120 days). 

But the revised invoice had the date for initial penalties (25%) still at 6 months (180 days) prior to the cruise. That was several weeks ago and we're still waiting for them to correct this. They say they'll respond, but they don't unless called several times, and even then they still haven't corrected this simple error. 

I remember with OC we would often say that the shoreside experience was not reflective of the onboard experience.  I sure hope that's still the case.

2 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

We've also been going through this with Crystal for well over one month. 

The initial invoice said our Final Payment was due 6 months prior to the cruise. We eventually got that corrected to 4 months (120 days). 

But the revised invoice had the date for initial penalties (25%) still at 6 months (180 days) prior to the cruise. That was several weeks ago and we're still waiting for them to correct this. They say they'll respond, but they don't unless called several times, and even then they still haven't corrected this simple error. 

I remember with OC we would often say that the shoreside experience was not reflective of the onboard experience.  I sure hope that's still the case.

Actually the 180/120 thing may not be an error. Other cruiselines, Oceania and HAL come to mind, on longer voyages have cancellation penalties that kick in 30 to 60 days prior to the final payment date. We just booked 24 days on Serenity next year and the Admin Fee of $250.00 applies up to day 121!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Actually the 180/120 thing may not be an error. Other cruiselines, Oceania and HAL come to mind, on longer voyages have cancellation penalties that kick in 30 to 60 days prior to the final payment date. We just booked 24 days on Serenity next year and the Admin Fee of $250.00 applies up to day 121!

You are correct that some other cruise lines, such as Seabourn, start assessing penalties prior to the final payment date.

But in this case, the Crystal representative agreed it was a mistake and said they would send a new invoice with the correction, but they have failed to do so. 

The original invoice stated, "All Crystal cruises may be cancelled prior to the final payment date with only an administration fee being assessed."  But having corrected the final payment date to 120 days, they have neglected to change the date at which penalties are assessed to also be 120 days. 

On the phone they agree that this is the case, but when asked to send a corrected invoice they just ignore us despite repeated contacts by our persistent TA.

I am a bit confused with some of what I am reading. Unless the cruise contact is wrong this is from the on line cruise contract which shows that a penalty kicks in on longer cruises earlier. So if I had something long booked I would have my TA get the facts on this and as part of that TA's should know who to go to.

Given that people are hearing different things if it was me and it is something important I would have the TA double check and not rely on what you are being told here particularly if there is a disconnect as I am seeing in some of the posts between what one person was told and another on was. No one wants surprises when it comes to this.

Keith

C) Cancellation Fees. Except as otherwise expressly provided herein, no refunds will be made in the event of “no shows”, unused tickets, lost tickets, partially used tickets, or cancellations received late or after the start of the Cruise. Carrier strongly recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance that includes coverage for travel cancellation or interruptions related to public health concerns such as COVID-19. Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below. For cancellation charges related to group bookings, partial ship charters or full ship charters refer to your charter contract or group booking agreement for terms and conditions.

For Cruises of 39 days or less 
If cancellation is made
Days prior to first date of service Cancellation fee
121+ days $250 Administration Fee*
120-91 days 25% Fee
90-76 days 50% Fee
75-51 days 75% Fee
50 days 100% Fee
For Cruises of 40 days or longer
If cancellation is made
Days prior to first date of service Cancellation fee
151+ days $200 Administration Fee*
150-121 days 25% Fee
120-91 days 50% Fee
90-61 days 75% Fee
60 days 100% Fee

These cancellation fees are subject to change without notice. In the event of any conflict between the cancellation fees described herein and those described on Carrier’s Website, the Website cancellation fees shall prevail.

* Administration Fee can be used toward a future booking sailing within two (2) years of the cancellation date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@seasack  Yes, this was a single invoice.

I sympathize with those trying to figure out what the cancellation penalties are.  for my 2024 WC I have multiple invoices (one for each payment).  At least two state a cancellation penalty of $125 prior to 181 days, and at least two state $250.

None of this matters in regards to 2024 as the sail date is less than four months. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

@seasack  Yes, this was a single invoice.

I sympathize with those trying to figure out what the cancellation penalties are.  for my 2024 WC I have multiple invoices (one for each payment).  At least two state a cancellation penalty of $125 prior to 181 days, and at least two state $250.

None of this matters in regards to 2024 as the sail date is less than four months. 

I think the US 125 is because of the solo cabin. 

• Like 1

Finally Crystal is giving a reason for the cancellation policy change. According to the future cruise person on board Crystal changed policy when the individual segments of the WC were released. 

Have any of you who booked a segment on the 2025 WC experienced this? I.e a 10% cancellation fee up to 181 days.

thanks

7 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

Finally Crystal is giving a reason for the cancellation policy change. According to the future cruise person on board Crystal changed policy when the individual segments of the WC were released. 

Have any of you who booked a segment on the 2025 WC experienced this? I.e a 10% cancellation fee up to 181 days.

thanks

I have just booked 6 segments of the 2025 WC and my contract is exactly as shown above  by Kieth.  $250.

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I think the US 125 is because of the solo cabin. 

I agree...  My solo booking has a $125 admin fee.  Since the fee appears to be per booking and not per person, that makes sense.

Vince

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I agree...  My solo booking has a $125 admin fee.  Since the fee appears to be per booking and not per person, that makes sense.

Vince

I just checked my solo booking for 2 November and it is $125 as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Given that people are hearing different things if it was me and it is something important I would have the TA double check

My TA has triple-checked and was told by the Crystal rep that our cruise, which is 24-days long, has a penalty phase that kicks in 120 days before the cruise.  However, our invoice shows 180 days.  The Crystal rep says that she is "working with IT" to get the invoice corrected.  I'm not sure why IT needs to be involved, but so be it.  It's been nearly one month and still no correction. I know that we're dealing with a newly-formed company, but I do expect a minimal level of competence. 

Again, in my experience, Crystal's shoreside service was substandard in the old days, but the onboard experience was always outstanding.  Seems like it's the same with New Crystal. 

6 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

My TA has triple-checked and was told by the Crystal rep that our cruise, which is 24-days long, has a penalty phase that kicks in 120 days before the cruise.  However, our invoice shows 180 days.  The Crystal rep says that she is "working with IT" to get the invoice corrected.  I'm not sure why IT needs to be involved, but so be it.  It's been nearly one month and still no correction. I know that we're dealing with a newly-formed company, but I do expect a minimal level of competence. 

Again, in my experience, Crystal's shoreside service was substandard in the old days, but the onboard experience was always outstanding.  Seems like it's the same with New Crystal. 

Agree about 24 days and the chart I posted (post 13) says cruises 39 days or less can be cancelled before at 120 days or less without a penalty.

Have no idea why your invoice is wrong.

My cruises are not 24 days but range from 20 to 23 days and the invoice matches what is supposed to be for those.

Administrative fee is $250.00 ($125.00 per person) but is waived if another cruse is booked)

As to it being an IT problem it could well be as the information would be auto generated based on the length of the cruises booked.  

While we haven't experienced this problem early on there were some issues with the invoices that had to be corrected by IT.

Keith 

• Thanks 1

I'm somewhat surprised that Crystal only imposes a small administration fee that can be applied to another booking for the early cancellation penalty on its ATW cruises.

Earlier this year we had to cancel our booking on another cruise line's ATW and it cost us $500 pp...and that was a cash penalty, not an administration fee.

Crystal's penalty makes booking an ATW on merely a whim a virtually no financial risk situation, something I find odd for such an expensive but presumably high demand cruise. Hard to believe that Crystal would let you tie up their most expensive inventory risk free for such a long time. Am I overestimating the popularity of the ATW? On the cruise line I was booked on the ATW inventory is snatched up almost immediately after booking opens.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm somewhat surprised that Crystal only imposes a small administration fee that can be applied to another booking for the early cancellation penalty on its ATW cruises.

Earlier this year we had to cancel our booking on another cruise line's ATW and it cost us $500 pp...and that was a cash penalty, not an administration fee.

Crystal's penalty makes booking an ATW on merely a whim a virtually no financial risk situation, something I find odd for such an expensive but presumably high demand cruise. Hard to believe that Crystal would let you tie up their most expensive inventory risk free for such a long time. Am I overestimating the popularity of the ATW? On the cruise line I was booked on the ATW inventory is snatched up almost immediately after booking opens.

I agree, and I think this is why we see them moving towards a different cancellation ladder for the World Cruises...  It just has different financial and booking dynamics than other long cruises.

The $125pp admin fee is an incredible bargain that a lot of people don't really appreciate, especially since you get it back by rebooking.  Setting the inventory spoilage risks aside, which is the primary driver for having a cancellation penalty, there are actual hard costs to churn.  Not the least of which are ever-rising interchange fees on the credit card transactions, which always sound innocuous when you see "average" rates in the 2%'s, but on the type of cards people usually charge world cruise fares to are at or just over 3% now...  Plus added fees to do the refunds.

Higher risk inventory deserves a higher stake policy.

Vince

• Like 1