Discovery Princess Main Dining Room Menus

Warrenf186

I cant understand how someone wants to plan a meals over 1 month out.  I always change my mind in the morning ( or afternoon) on what i was planning to cook for dinner .  Unless you have dietary needs ( which you should contact the cruise line about), I always enjoy the surprise of what the meals in the MDR's are going to be.  I used to see the menus posted in the morning on what the menu for that night is.  If I don't find anything interesting, I go to the buffett.  Maybe you can change your specialty dining to another day if you would prefer to be in the MDR on a certain night.  Otherwise, if you miss out on something, its just the cost of pre-planning.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, Warrenf186 said:

Thanks everyone.

We are booked in specialty restaurants for 3 nights.  It would. Be helpful to know if there ang special things on the menus when we won’t be there in case we could still change things around.

Given the date of your sailing Journey View in the app ought to be showing events. Scroll through day by day and find the says where it says Formal Portraits are available. Those will be the formal nights and might have dining options you want to consider so you may not want to book specialty dining for those nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes you can get lucky and find a "live from" thread with pictures of the nightly menus. Otherwise, the all menus will be available on board. 

On our last cruise, I wanted to eat at Sabatini's on the same night as the Italian dinner in the MDR (sub one Italian meal for another!) I just called the DINE line once on board, asked which night the Italian dinner will be served, and made the Sabatini's reservation.

Thanks for your thoughts.  You’re right, Shutterbug, if the MDR is habing something spectacular whe we’re scheduled for dinner at Sabatini’s we might want to switch.  Especially since it looks like a lot of reservation slots are filled.

5 weeks to go.

10 minutes ago, Warrenf186 said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  You’re right, Shutterbug, if the MDR is habing something spectacular whe we’re scheduled for dinner at Sabatini’s we might want to switch.  Especially since it looks like a lot of reservation slots are filled.

5 weeks to go.

They can switch things up from one voyage to the next.  Seen it happen.  You can ask a DR Mgr to view all the DR menus for the week. 

On 9/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, Warrenf186 said:

We will be on Discovery on 10/28.  So far I’ve been unable to find the MDR menus for our cruise.  In spiite of the recent changes in dining service I’m hoping they will still be serving food.

Does anyone have copies of these menus?

Find a live from the spring for California coast or Mexican Riviera (guessing Discovery will do one of those itineraries), and look at the menus.  Formal nights are usually first sea day and second to last night. 

18 hours ago, kstrittm said:

Discovery will be transitioning from Seattle to Los Angeles in early October.  Her first cruise from there is October 7.  The menu will possibly be different from the Alaska menus currently in place...

I’m currently on the Discovery and correct  some items on the  menu are specific to Alaska. They had an Alaska blueberry cobbler. The other items are similar to all other cruises just smaller portions mentioned in other post. 

On 9/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, Warrenf186 said:

5 weeks to go.

I can't recall the MDR ever having "something spectacular" on the menu...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I can't recall the MDR ever having "something spectacular" on the menu...

Some people consider things like lobster or prime rib to be spectacular.  For me the best dishes are things like the duck appetizer and some of the seafood dishes

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Some people consider things like lobster or prime rib to be spectacular.  For me the best dishes are things like the duck appetizer and some of the seafood dishes

Agreed. MDR was or is underwhelming. I’m not a foodie either, so my standards are low.

They substituted cocktail shrimp instead of crab in the artichoke dip. I started eating like a toddler, fries, bread and pseudo butter, their soups are still really good. My husband enjoyed the lamb and the Turkey.