Best Cruise Route to Caribbean from UK

Xena2000

Fly to  one of the islands like Barbados or where the cruise  starts

Some UK lines have fly/ sail offers

Or if you want to experience  the sea days  then go the southern route

The seas are  unpredictable but in those months  the northern route will probably be  bumpy

JMO

25 minutes ago, Xena2000 said:

When travelling Southampton to Caribbean, Dec / Jan / Feb, which is the best route?  Via New York or Canaries?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.   Best route in what way?

Edited by ColeThornton

I think you are a little confused about ships and routes.  On Cunard, the QM2 does a Southampton to NY and continues to the Caribbean in Dec.  after that, she leaves on her annual world cruise.  The other Cunard ships do not do cruises to the Caribbean.  And a cruise to the Canaries does not continue across to the Caribbean.  And in January Victoria and Elizabeth will also be leaving on world cruises.  So if you could be. MOre specific about how you want to proceed.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena2000 said:

Thankyou for your response.  In 2025 QM2 goes to the Caribbean from Soton via Tenerife and Funchal.  So I am interested to know if this route has generally better sea state.

Probably but you just can't predict.

It will be warmer than going via New York.

Funchal is well worth a visit, it's the route I'd choose.

4 hours ago, Xena2000 said:

Thankyou for your response.  In 2025 QM2 goes to the Caribbean from Soton via Tenerife and Funchal.  So I am interested to know if this route has generally better sea state.

Via the Canaries is the more-southerly route, so less-likely to experience high seas.

And we've frequently taken weekend breaks and 7-day cruises around the Canaries & Madeira

And surprisingly QM2 has been chosen for this route - she's the only true "ocean liner" amongst cruise ships - sleeker and with a streamlined bow  to make higher speeds easier.

By the time you've crossed the Bay of Biscay and sailed the length of Spain you should be in calmer waters. 

It's  def. the one we'd choose

JB 🙂

7 hours ago, Xena2000 said:

Departing Southampton you sail through the English Channel, to the Western Approaches and then across the bay of Biscay, which takes about 2 days. During this period the sea have a high probability of being lumpy, especially between Dec & Feb.

On passing the Latitude of Gibraltar you should start to pick up the prevailing NE Trades winds, which can vary from 10 to 15 kts, up to 25 kts. Seas in the trade wind latitudes are generally less than further north.

11 hours ago, Xena2000 said:

I really like that route and am looking for something similar for next fall in 2024.  We did something similar in the opposite direction in the Spring and really liked the weather crossing as opposed to a more northerly routing which we have also done.

good luck and welcome to CC!