Princess Cruise Medallions....Where are they manufactured

stevenr597

We recently received notice that our "Medallions" for our upcoming cruise on Regal Princess are "on-the-way."  Looking at tracking, it appears that they will be delivered by USPS, shipper Ding Hong.   We were wondering if they did not originate in China and are of Chinese Manufacture.

Does anybody know where these Princess devices are made?

• Haha 3

Give it a 99.9% chance the parts and assembly is done in some cheap labor third world country in Asia somewhere and thrown on a boat and then usps takes over the delivery once they get here in the US (likely a west coast port).

4 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

The medallions are essentially RFID tags. Don't they have to be loaded with your personalized info (name, cabin number, etc.)? Or is that done at embarkation?

They are personalized before you receive them.  If being shipped to home, at a foreign manufacturing plant.  If picked up at the port, on the ship you will be on the sailing before you embark and waiting for you in a ziplock bag, which the check-in agent will retrieve for you.  Medallion are activated at check-in.

12 hours ago, IndyKid said:

The medallions are essentially RFID tags. Don't they have to be loaded with your personalized info (name, cabin number, etc.)? Or is that done at embarkation?

As I’ve read here, there is no personal information loaded on the medallion. Just an identifier. The rest is on a server. 

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

But there is personalized information printed on the outside of the medallion.

Yes. Name, ship, sailing dates. They can be created at embarkation and nothing that’s printed on them controls anything.

Edited by BamaVol

On 9/23/2023 at 1:11 AM, IndyKid said:

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing your concern is the fact that our personal information is loaded in China, making it vulnerable.  Fair point--but I assume that the Chinese already have all the information on me they could ever want.  Unfortunately, they'll find I'm pretty boring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Medallion is like a key, that’s all.  I’ve kept a few, wanted to “play” with them.  I believe they are passive rfid’s, meaning they contain no battery but energize when they are near a device.  I also believe Singapore is where they are made.  My only complaint is last two cruises they did not arrive in time and had to obtain another one at port.  This in turn required us to go to help desk to get “re-read” due to certain issues.

7 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing your concern is the fact that our personal information is loaded in China, making it vulnerable.  Fair point--but I assume that the Chinese already have all the information on me they could ever want.  Unfortunately, they'll find I'm pretty boring.

There is nothing loaded in them but a code to link to your information on a server.  Printed on them is your name, your ship and sailing date.  I cannot imagine what anyone in China could do with that information. I guess someone could hack into the server, but your medallion won’t help them do that.

Besides, they’re made in Singapore. That’s not China.

Not that I’m worried about anyone in China taking an interest in me. 

6 hours ago, Crashe said:

Medallion is like a key, that’s all.  I’ve kept a few, wanted to “play” with them.  I believe they are passive rfid’s, meaning they contain no battery but energize when they are near a device.  I also believe Singapore is where they are made.  My only complaint is last two cruises they did not arrive in time and had to obtain another one at port.  This in turn required us to go to help desk to get “re-read” due to certain issues.

Do a search and it may turn up.  They are not rfid and they do have a battery. I’m not a techie so I didn’t store details in my memory. 

Edited by BamaVol

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Do a search and it may turn up.  They are not rfid and they do have a battery. I’m not a techie so I didn’t store details in my memory. 

Yes, they definitely have a battery! On our first cruise immediately after the restart the battery in mine was already dead before I even boarded. Had to go straight to GS and get a new one.

What are the chances that someone in either Singapore or China will use our names and sailing date from the medallions to google where we live and zip over to our our place in Canada while we are cruising this winter and shovel our driveway or drink my beer? Inquiring minds want to know…

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

What are the chances that someone in either Singapore or China will use our names and sailing date from the medallions to google where we live and zip over to our our place in Canada while we are cruising this winter and shovel our driveway or drink my beer? Inquiring minds want to know…

Or lower my smart thermostat while I’m away cruising.

• Haha 1