Taxi from FLL to Cruise port in Fort Lauderdale

serene56

i searched    found much about FLL to MIA    but not anything for FLL to Port Everglades   Do I need a service?  or Uber/ taxi are available.    Its been a long time since we cruised from this port  

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Just make sure you use a taxi that has a meter...never a flat rate. We've usually paid $15.00 from FLL to PE.

What if the flat rate  is  $15 ?

A few year ago we took a taxi from hotel to post  $11 flat rate   there was a line up to show  documents at the gate

Some do not read instructions to have boarding documents out for inspection getting into the port area

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What if the flat rate  is  $15 ?

A few year ago we took a taxi from hotel to post  $11 flat rate   there was a line up to show  documents at the gate

Some do not read instructions to have boarding documents out for inspection getting into the port area

The comment in Post #5 refers to a known problem at the airport, not so much at PE, where taxi drivers sometimes  do not not activate their meters and instead charge a slightly elevated flat rate to take customers to their hotels or to PE.  This has been discussed a number of times here on CC. It happened to us once, but I simply didn't tip the driver and the charge worked out to the same amount as a metered fare plus tip.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The comment in Post #5 refers to a known problem at the airport, not so much at PE, where taxi drivers sometimes  do not not activate their meters and instead charge a slightly elevated flat rate to take customers to their hotels or to PE.  This has been discussed a number of times here on CC. It happened to us once, but I simply didn't tip the driver and the charge worked out to the same amount as a metered fare plus tip.

Thanks for confirming my post. It's never happened to us but other's have had this situation happen at FLL.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

My comment was not about  shady practices

If you ask the driver how much & they  tell you a flat rate of $15  

As mentioned  by ASHLAND  they usually pay $15  on the meter ...  why not take the  Flat rate then?

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

As mentioned  by ASHLAND  they usually pay $15  on the meter ...  why not take the  Flat rate then?

My comment was specific to FLL. There have been numerous discussions  here on the Florida departures forum about the apparently illegal practice by a few taxi drivers at FLL who will not activate their meters and instead charge a "flat rate". From what I understand this is definitely illegal if done from the airport, all taxis are required to use the meter. No idea about other departure points like hotels, PE etc., though I do know that I once asked one of the Sheriff's Deputies who man traffic control at Port Everglades about this as I was waiting for a taxi to FLL. He confirmed that yes, taxis are required by law to use meters at all times from there as well. No idea if we was right or not, but that's what he told me. So that's why we don't like flat rate taxis.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

My post was a warning to those that may not know what the approximate cost for a taxi from FLL-PE should be and why most of us on CC are aware of some being over charged when quoted a flat rate. 

You're lucky your flat rate charge was within the metered rate but that isn't and hasn't always been the case at FLL.