Harrison’s Cave on Our Own

Swells1

26 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

Is it possible to just hop on the bus (or taxi) and visit without being part of an organized tour? 

We took an organized tour with our ship and loved it and found it very interesting.

Returning in 2025 and looking forward to returning.

Hope you find your answer since it is a distance from the Cruise Ship Terminal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Our ship doesn’t go there and we want to visit it again.  If we take a cab from the port, are there cabs at the Cave that we can take back? 

Yes….. And the outward driver will be pleased to be booked for a timed return.

Don’t forget to book one’s cave experience on line and in advance, as spaces are limited.

16 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes….. And the outward driver will be pleased to be booked for a timed return.

Don’t forget to book one’s cave experience on line and in advance, as spaces are limited.

Thanks for the help!  I did go to the website and the site itself has grown so much since we went there many years ago.  When we went, the only thing to see and do was the tram through the cave.  That’s all we want to do.

9 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Thanks for the help!  I did go to the website and the site itself has grown so much since we went there many years ago.  When we went, the only thing to see and do was the tram through the cave.  That’s all we want to do.

Pleased one was able to pre-book the Pass/Tour required.

• 2 weeks later...

The cave itself with the ride is amazing.  Cruise travelers need to be aware of the logistical difficulties of this activity.  Please note that if you are an independent visitor you are required to check in 30 minutes prior to your tour (and your tour no longer begins with the ride through the cave, but a movie to watch).  I had hoped to let my kids explore the grounds during the 30 minute checkin and then movie time, but a significant number of people scheduled for an earlier tour had either missed their tram or the earlier tram had been oversold (I have no idea whose fault it was that they didn't make their scheduled tram.  They were blaming the company but I don't really know what happened).  

The tour operators kept counting us to make sure there were enough seats, and told me I had to stay in the waiting room with my kids.  I figured if we left we'd get bumped, so we had to stay there.  My kids hated the movie, and what I saw seemed like not how you'd want to spend a limited amount of time in Barbados, so that part was frustrating given how expensive this excursion is.  The cave itself was amazing so if there's not much else you want to do in Barbados this is an excellent choice.  The grounds looked beautiful (we had a snorkling tour afterwards so we didn't actually get a chance to visit them, but I don't think they've worked out the logistics of having people do things and then go to the ride yet - the people bumped were on their zip lining excursion and blamed them for being bumped).

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, kitkat343 said:

The cave itself with the ride is amazing.  Cruise travelers need to be aware of the logistical difficulties of this activity.  Please note that if you are an independent visitor you are required to check in 30 minutes prior to your tour (and your tour no longer begins with the ride through the cave, but a movie to watch).  I had hoped to let my kids explore the grounds during the 30 minute checkin and then movie time, but a significant number of people scheduled for an earlier tour had either missed their tram or the earlier tram had been oversold (I have no idea whose fault it was that they didn't make their scheduled tram.  They were blaming the company but I don't really know what happened).  

The tour operators kept counting us to make sure there were enough seats, and told me I had to stay in the waiting room with my kids.  I figured if we left we'd get bumped, so we had to stay there.  My kids hated the movie, and what I saw seemed like not how you'd want to spend a limited amount of time in Barbados, so that part was frustrating given how expensive this excursion is.  The cave itself was amazing so if there's not much else you want to do in Barbados this is an excellent choice.  The grounds looked beautiful (we had a snorkling tour afterwards so we didn't actually get a chance to visit them, but I don't think they've worked out the logistics of having people do things and then go to the ride yet - the people bumped were on their zip lining excursion and blamed them for being bumped).

Someone just liked this post so it came back in my feed.  I was just in Barbados again and would like to note you (or others) might also want to consider Animal Flower Cave.  It's quite different - you climb down a significant amount of stairs and then you can explore a cave yourself.  It's right on the ocean so the waves come crashing in, and there's a part you can swim in if you like.  I'd recommend googling it since it's a little hard to describe, but videos/pictures will show you exactly what it's like.   Animal flower cave is also near the Barbados Wildlife reserve, so you can combine both together (there's lots of animals that come for the 2 pm feeding, especially monkeys and turtles).  A child would need to be sturdy enough to climb up and down the stone steps and also to climb through the cave, but my 5 year old made it fairly easily and loved it there.  The two together are a good option for kids.  Its about 40 minutes from the port so you'd just need to be aware of that.

Edited by kitkat343

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Jennifire7 said:

@kitkat343hi! Would you recommend getting a tour guide for the Animal Flower Cave? 

Sorry to interrupt 

The entrance fee includes a cave tour guide.  Also consider a nice lunch while there.

8 minutes ago, Jennifire7 said:

How difficult is it to get there from port? 

Very easy, just take a cab….About 50 minutes each way, but allow an additional 10 minutes for the return, because of heavier traffic.

Gratuities to the Tour Guide will be appreciated and welcomed 

4 minutes ago, Jennifire7 said:

Thanks so much for the information!

Approximately how much for the cab ride? 

Think it was about US $40 each way plus tip ($50 total)

Same driver out was booked for the timed return.  Driver for return arrived early, which was appreciated.

23 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think it was about US $40 each way plus tip ($50 total)

Same driver out was booked for the timed return.  Driver for return arrived early, which was appreciated.

Thank you so so much! 

We've been looking into the Harrison's Cave excursion run by  Beautiful Barbados Tours & Excursions and coordinated by Viator.  The site reviews are excellent with a couple of exceptions, but I'm always a little skeptical of those.  Anyone have any experience with this particular outfit?

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

We've been looking into the Harrison's Cave excursion run by  Beautiful Barbados Tours & Excursions and coordinated by Viator.  The site reviews are excellent with a couple of exceptions, but I'm always a little skeptical of those.  Anyone have any experience with this particular outfit?

BB is our tours “go to”, along with friends and family.  They deliver great tours and are nice people.   Contact BB direct for any details required for any tours seen on Viator.

11 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

BB is our tours “go to”, along with friends and family.  They deliver great tours and are nice people.   Contact BB direct for any details required for any tours seen on Viator.

Thanks.  We usually book through the ship but there weren't enough spots available.  Plus, the ship excursion was 4 times the price of BB. 😀

3 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Thanks.  We usually book through the ship but there weren't enough spots available.  Plus, the ship excursion was 4 times the price of BB. 😀

Book direct…. https://www.beautifulbarbadostoursandexcursions.com/shoreexcursions
They will value your support, with possibly of no commission to V.

A small gratuity to one’s BB tour guide (if enjoyed) will be greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Book direct…. https://www.beautifulbarbadostoursandexcursions.com/shoreexcursions

A small gratuity to one’s BB tour guide (if enjoyed) will be greatly appreciated.

That is the URL I was using.  We are always good about tipping both the guide and the driver.  We try to do so in the currency of the port if we can get it, otherwise US Dollars.  What is preferred in Barbados?

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

That is the URL I was using.  We are always good about tipping both the guide and the driver.  We try to do so in the currency of the port if we can get it, otherwise US Dollars.  What is preferred in Barbados?

US$ is always happily accepted on Barbados.

Enjoy….

On 1/9/2024 at 7:02 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Thank you for posting this.  If I don't do the scavenger hunt I posted about, I'd love to do the Harrison's Cave & Snorkel Cruise, but it looks like it starts at 10am and we don't dock until 10am.  I emailed them to see if there is flexibility in the start time.  I guess I'll wait to see what they say.

3 hours ago, olemissreb said:

Thank you for posting this.  If I don't do the scavenger hunt I posted about, I'd love to do the Harrison's Cave & Snorkel Cruise, but it looks like it starts at 10am and we don't dock until 10am.  I emailed them to see if there is flexibility in the start time.  I guess I'll wait to see what they say.

Knowing BB, if they can, they will…. Good luck

• Like 1