Starlink on Celebrity Ships - ISP/IP address location?

Tharkhold

18 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think once it detects that you are out of the country it requires to be able to see  "exact location" to resume service.  But I'm pretty sure that as long as you keep VPN on before you leave the US it doesn't require.

I just set my phone to VPN Argentina and YouTube TV reported that it didn't work in that country.  Then I set it back to a US city and it required me to enable location services.  Once it established my location I was able to turn location service back off and still use the service.

I've had the same experience as you.   One thing I've noticed is when using Firestick with NordVPN app it never asks about location.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a 19 Oct to 2 Nov TA on the Reflection.

The 'new(ish)/updated/etc' starlink was ok for internet.

Of note, the capped speed on the "Premium" package was approx 550KB/s (half a megabyte / sec); and very usable with youtube videos. (Did not test netflix/disney/paramount/HBO/etc)

I tested this by saturating my connection link via nord VPN and downloading big files (500-2000MB range). Note: without the VPN, the transfer would freeze after 15-30 mins; with the VPN, transfers could still freeze, but less often. A simple refresh of the browser would continue the transfer, but I 'lost' approx 10-15% of the progress (i.e if I transferred 650MB and it froze, the reload would restart the transfer at the 500-525MB mark).

The overall *responsiveness* is the same on the basic and premium internet.

We did experience some dips in the speeds in areas where antenna and satellite positions required a handshake/hand off to a better signal. (This lasted at most 5 minutes though).

I'm glad I was able to upgrade from the Basic to Premium package for 5.xx$/day though.

Edited by Tharkhold

2 hours ago, Tharkhold said:

Of note, the capped speed on the "Premium" package was approx 550KB/s (half a megabyte / sec); and very usable with youtube videos. (Did not test netflix/disney/paramount/HBO/etc)

That sounds more like the speeds for the Basic internet package versus the Premium.  The Premium on Millennium was capped at 4 MB/s down and 2 MB/s upload.  

You mentioned upgrading.  Was that after you were on the ship or before sailing?  Some have reported upgrading on board and then having to make some changes to actually get the Premium after having been first connected to Basic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

That sounds more like the speeds for the Basic internet package versus the Premium.  The Premium on Millennium was capped at 4 MB/s down and 2 MB/s upload.  

You mentioned upgrading.  Was that after you were on the ship or before sailing?  Some have reported upgrading on board and then having to make some changes to actually get the Premium after having been first connected to Basic. 

I upgraded prior to sailing, one of those "xx% off" flash sales that displayed an upgrade from the basic to premium internet for 5.xx$/day. (We purchased the all-inclusive pre-sailling)

We had a 2-device setup, with one being basic and the other premium. The speeds were different on both devices AFAIK; but I did not know about the potential wonky issues when upgrading like this.

The first log in screen has a distinction between basic and premium though. I logged in the premium and ms SO used the basic login.

But thanks for the tip to check that one device was indeed switched to premium. I'll keep that one handy for the next transantlantic cruise.

Edited by Tharkhold

On 9/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

There are free VPNs you can use where you can change locations/regions

A partial solution for some purposes, but many apps/sites recognize you're on VPN and reject the connection.

Edited by mahasamatman
typo

Just now, mahasamatman said:

A partial solution for some purposed, but many apps/sites recognize you're on VPN and reject the connection.

Some apps like the big streaming ones recognize the free VPN's popular server and blacklist them.  You can get around them if you use a VPN that uses Obfuscated servers

24 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some apps like the big streaming ones recognize the free VPN's popular server and blacklist them.  You can get around them if you use a VPN that uses Obfuscated servers

YouTubeTV - owned by Google often even blocks common NordVPN connections.   If you go to NordVPN.Com and type YouTubeTV in the help pop up it will give you a list of 3 tested servers.  It has even blocked some of my Obfuscated Servers - 

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

YouTubeTV - owned by Google often even blocks common NordVPN connections.   If you go to NordVPN.Com and type YouTubeTV in the help pop up it will give you a list of 3 tested servers.  It has even blocked some of my Obfuscated Servers - 

I 100% agree.  As you state they block "some" of them but not all of them.  I haven't had a reason to use a VPN to change my streaming apps location as regular YouTube works fine.  I have been considering YouTube TV yet it's not a huge deal to me if I can't watch it on a cruise

15 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

YouTube TV doesn't allow streaming outside of the US because their contracts with the content don't allow it.  On many devices they can only use the IP address location to identify location.

I've been watching YouTubeTV for about 3 years outside the US using VPN.   Much of the time I can find a San Francisco Server and even lets me watch Local Live.   I normal record our favorites and the Local News so I can watch recordings.  

Many of the Steaming services restrict viewing outside of the US.   Thus a Good VPN

I also had to use VPN in Argentina -  The had a dispute with Google an Blocked all Google Pages.  including news and maps.

Yes Jim,  I was trying to explain to @NutsAboutGolf why a VPN is required.   I have used NordVPN in South America and Transatlantic as well as Italy/Greece and able to watch Youtube TV.

My Windows 11 laptop still seems to detect I'm using a VPN regardless of which server I'm using.  Same server on the iPad works fine.  Not an issue as I rarely bring my laptop.

Royce

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

YouTube TV doesn't allow streaming outside of the US because their contracts with the content don't allow it.  On many devices they can only use the IP address location to identify location.

Technically using a VPN to change your location on a streaming service is a direct violation of their terms in conditions and some claim you can forever be blocked.  They're even illegal with fines in some stricter countries

For today's lesson, I almost typed Bl--kListed yet someone recently brought to my attention that the terms "Bl--kListed" and "CakeW--k" are offensive terms which I verified by googling

56 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes Jim,  I was trying to explain to @NutsAboutGolf why a VPN is required.   I have used NordVPN in South America and Transatlantic as well as Italy/Greece and able to watch Youtube TV.

My Windows 11 laptop still seems to detect I'm using a VPN regardless of which server I'm using.  Same server on the iPad works fine.  Not an issue as I rarely bring my laptop.

Royce

Interesting about your Laptop -  I'm using a Windows 11 Laptop and no problem with NordVPN.

I know that when I wanted to use my Lapop to Share My Connection as a "Mini Router"  there was a bunch of setup I had to do.    I found a really good video on ExpressVPN that I followed using NordVPN and finally worked.  

• 2 months later...

I'm planning on working the 1st week of TA cruise (Ascent, FLL-BCN April 14) since all first 7 days are on water.  My company has a restrict rule for international travel that, to access Office for emails and Team meetings, prior authorization of "countries" visited is mandatory.  Going east from FL to Spain, I assume the IP / ground stations would be: US, Portugal, Spain, UK and Germany?  TIA for your kind replies!! 

1 hour ago, TING4X4 said:

I'm planning on working the 1st week of TA cruise (Ascent, FLL-BCN April 14) since all first 7 days are on water. 

We are on the same cruise.   I will not be working.  But, you should join us on the roll call.  😁

3 hours ago, TING4X4 said:

I'm planning on working the 1st week of TA cruise (Ascent, FLL-BCN April 14) since all first 7 days are on water.  My company has a restrict rule for international travel that, to access Office for emails and Team meetings, prior authorization of "countries" visited is mandatory.  Going east from FL to Spain, I assume the IP / ground stations would be: US, Portugal, Spain, UK and Germany?  TIA for your kind replies!! 

It is hard telling.    When on a TA I've picked up locations from Miami, Fl, Paris, France, London, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.     It could sometimes change during a single day. 

Where I particularly see it is I use Google News as my homepage and the news change to IP location.     Wonder if using a VPN would work with your company.   That way you can specify you are in the U.S.

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, TING4X4 said:

During our last TA (Nov 2023) the 'default' IP went to Piraeus Greece after leaving the spanish/portugese coast/EEE/coverage/etc. The cruise started in Barcelona, so I was expecting it to default to Spain, but nope.

Edited by Tharkhold