Picking a cabin

deliver42

People can choose their room by calling VV.  You just can't do it if you book on line.

A TA can offer many other benefits.  Specifically, most Gold Tier TAs will have MNVV certificates available which will save you $300 plus give uou $600 in loot.  At various times VV lets them offer specials that will give you additional loot.  That's before you get to the service issues.  Why would you want to leave that on the table?  On top of that, I'd rather support a small business and have great service rather than the allowing VV to keep the commission and receive the mediocre service that shoreside regularly gives.  I can shoot a text to my TA and let her deal with phone holds to resolve whatever the issue might be while I go about my day.  And unlike some other lines, if I want to tale to VV directly, I can...even though I've booked thru a TA.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 12:07 AM, Neilyboy64 said:

I've been looking to book our 2nd cruise next year to the Med ( 1st was this year with Princess ) but not being able to choose my room is puting me off VV ! I did a trial online booking and i was getting assigned deck 5 right at front of ship but i would like to be higher and midship.

What room category are you trying for? Deck five is all sea view and there are only a handful of those on other decks and all at the very very front in the nose of the ship. If you want a higher deck and midship you need central sea terrace.

29 minutes ago, Gail & Dan said:

Would it not be better to let people choose their room ? rather then muck about for countless hours finding one with a TA or virgin ? what am I missing here ?

They claim it’s like a hotel; they just assign the best room in the category at the time of booking. Almost all hotels don’t allow guests to select rooms at time of booking. But for people who have been on before and know what they like then many do like specific rooms.

In general though any room on decks 9-13 will be fine.

1 hour ago, Gail & Dan said:

I think most would prefer to pick the room this is a ship not a hotel !! theres considerations  to consider 

noise from above, soot from incinerator etc, I am glad your happy with deck 9-13 the rest of us may not be  

Decks 9-13 don’t have any public spaces above or below so there is no noise issues to consider.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 8:34 AM, raphael360 said:

. I have begged other members here to tell me the name of their TA but, due to the rules of this website, any posts mentioning TAs are removed.

If you are on the Valiant TA later this month, I'll give you the info for my agent. They are not only one of  the top 100 VV agents, but also members of the super-secret Club 485C which is limited to 99 members, with Sir Richard being the 100th. https://vvinsider.com/guides-and-faqs/guide/sailing-club/club-485c/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

If you are on the Valiant TA later this month, I'll give you the info for my agent. They are not only one of  the top 100 VV agents, but also members of the super-secret Club 485C which is limited to 99 members, with Sir Richard being the 100th. https://vvinsider.com/guides-and-faqs/guide/sailing-club/club-485c/

Would love to know this.

14 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

That Club 485C doesn't look like it has anything to do with travel agents specifically.  Per the link, it sounds like it was for a select group of sailors, although I suppose some of those sailors could also be travel agents.  

As far as I understand it, gold certified first mates are just those who have completed the top level of training with VV.

15 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We may have the same agent....same qualifications anyhow

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 6:12 PM, CineGraphic said:

I’m on the transatlantic and would love you to spill the tea…my regular TA is great, but when it comes to booking a Virgin cruise, he clearly doesn’t know the secret handshake (or he’s not letting me in on it) 😎

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 9:02 AM, cantgetin said:

From what I've been told, VV is very strict about agents needing to have training geared specifically to this line, and that each person who is selling the product needs to go to the training.  If true, this is very different from some other companies where if one agent in a large firm has attended training, they can put a sign in the window or in various ads claiming to be a "name of company expert."   I do suspect some agencies avoid the rules by booking under one name who has been to training rather than the agency name or name of person actually booking for the client.  

Bottom line, there are always good agents and agencies as well as the other sorts.

Nah. It’s on line training and takes a few hours at most. I agree it’s very odd to not sell a particular product unless you’ve had very bad experiences with it. Even then, I’d sell it if asked and I discussed my concerns with the client.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:36 PM, babalooo said:

So I have never heard of a Gold Certified VV First Mate level before. How do you know which TAs are Gold Certified and how does one find one?

There’s a “badge” a TA can use in marketing/email/social media but not really a way to tell. Right now it’s just more online training that’s been completed

On 9/26/2023 at 1:07 PM, CruisingWalter said:

Yes you can pick a cabin by working with a travel advisor. They have full access to the deck plans and can place you in any specific available cabin. Gold Certified VV First Mates can offer additional sailor loot for Sea Terrace and above. 

Alternatively you can call Sailor Services yourself and work with them to get a cabin. On the website, it will automatically assign you a cabin, usually starting on Deck 14. 

We’ve been allocated deck 14 ( as predicted). Guessing this is not the best deck and we should aim for 9-10?

How do you know if it is one with a hammock or not?

thanks 

Edited by little britain

Gold Certified First Mate means you've completed all of their training that takes more than a 'few hours' but you don't necessarily have to have completed a cruise.  But it does mean that you understand the product better than most. As for the 'secret society' that has nothing to do with being a TA but having sailed early and often. We were scheduled to be on one of the very first sailings but then... well we all know that story. The best TAs are the ones who don't focus on any one cruise line, but have a wide breadth of knowledge across the cruise industry. If they focus their companies on just a few select offerings, they will always steer you to those instead of finding the best vacations for you no matter who that travel partner happens to be.

I would sail a lot more on VV if they had a more varied set of itineraries from Miami. It's nice when we have the two ships and I'm looking forward to our Valiant Thanksgiving. We'll be with a nice group of about 30 or so folks, most of us meeting for the first time. But when it's just one ship... 

Great cruise line and has definitely shaken things up, but hoping the itineraries get refreshed once Brilliant has properly launched. 

20 hours ago, little britain said:

How do you know if it is one with a hammock or not?

Here's a list I stole from another thread:

DECK 9:
9366 A AND Z
9370 A AND Z
9374 A AND Z

DECK 10:
10354 A AND Z
10358 A AND Z
10362 A AND Z
10366 A AND Z
10370 A AND Z

DECK 11: