Picking a cabin

deliver42

Yes you can pick a cabin by working with a travel advisor. They have full access to the deck plans and can place you in any specific available cabin. Gold Certified VV First Mates can offer additional sailor loot for Sea Terrace and above. 

Alternatively you can call Sailor Services yourself and work with them to get a cabin. On the website, it will automatically assign you a cabin, usually starting on Deck 14. 

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 3

You can also see what cabins are available on one TA's website, even if you don't book with them.

We're not allowed to link to TAs, but if you Google "American Discount Cruises", you'll figure it out.

Once you find a cabin location you like, you can call Virgin and request the change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You can select your cabin if you book thru a "First Mate" (VV talk for travel agent), call VV and book thru one of their shoreside customer service people, or rebook on board.  If you do it yourself on the computer, you will be assigned.

Best situation is to use a Gold level First Mate.  They always have access to the best "deals" available, typically saving you some money on booking and getting you some additional perks.  

If you do not like your assigned cabin location, you can contact VV by phone or even online chat and request another cabin in that same category and be moved pending availability. You can google deck plans and get a good idea of where you’d like to be. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:51 AM, deliver42 said:

Is there any way to pick a cabin? On the website, they pick a cabin for you. It's like a guaranty, which I really don't like.

I can give you my experience booking 7 cruises directly via VV's website without a TA. (see my TA experience below)

When booking directly on VV's website, VV presented me with available cabins in my category unless they were nearly 'sold out'.  For example: I just booked another 2023 cruise and the earliest cruise I could bag a 'good' cabin option was mid-December.  I tried putting a couple of reservations on a 24-hour hold and contacting VV Sailor Services directly (as mentioned here) but each time VV told me my desired category was FULL - gasp. 

Using a good TA is absolutely your BEST option. However, the TA I used to book my last 10 Seabourn cruises DOES NOT book with Virgin. I have begged other members here to tell me the name of their TA but, due to the rules of this website, any posts mentioning TAs are removed.  So use a TA unless you're like me and can't find a good one.

Hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

Using a good TA is absolutely your BEST option. However, the TA I used to book my last 10 Seabourn cruises DOES NOT book with Virgin. I have begged other members here to tell me the name of their TA but, due to the rules of this website, any posts mentioning TAs are removed.  So use a TA unless you're like me and can't find a good one.

Hope this helps 🙂

Look for a Gold Tier TA...this means they have completed the highest level of training with vv...and also look for a TA who has sailed at least one of their ships recently.  In order to book VV, TAs are required to complete at least some training with VV.....if an agent is unwilling to do that,I wouldn't choose to book with them anyhow.  I have a lovely TA and know at least a few other good ones, but as you noted, we can't name them on this site.  

Here is a food review of VV that will give you some of the info you are looking for.  

Tootles.....

• Like 4

I've been looking to book our 2nd cruise next year to the Med ( 1st was this year with Princess ) but not being able to choose my room is puting me off VV ! I did a trial online booking and i was getting assigned deck 5 right at front of ship but i would like to be higher and midship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neilyboy64 said:

I've been looking to book our 2nd cruise next year to the Med ( 1st was this year with Princess ) but not being able to choose my room is puting me off VV ! I did a trial online booking and i was getting assigned deck 5 right at front of ship but i would like to be higher and midship.

If you phone VV to make your booking, you can choose your room

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:34 AM, raphael360 said:

Using a good TA is absolutely your BEST option. However, the TA I used to book my last 10 Seabourn cruises DOES NOT book with Virgin. I have begged other members here to tell me the name of their TA but, due to the rules of this website, any posts mentioning TAs are removed.  So use a TA unless you're like me and can't find a good one

Well that's weird. I never understand why TAs would not sell a particular cruise line, especially VV who is awesome to work with from what we've been told. We've had Tamika from VV on our social channels a few times and she's amazing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, c-boy said:

🤣  Walter cracks me up.   I learned some new things watching his video. A+ . 

Well thank you so much! I do my best to provide edutainment. I learned from the best, Alton Brown. 4 years as his Animator / Editor and Post Supervisor will do that. 🙂 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Neilyboy64 said:

I think there is a big difference between  US and UK travel agencies.

I don't know about that, I've become friends with multiple UK agents and they're fabulous. There are good and bad TAs on both sides of the pond. You just need to look around to find the good ones. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Here is a food review of VV that will give you some of the info you are looking for. 

I might have to do an updated version of that since we'll have 8 nights on Valiant in November. Maybe "is it still good?" type of thing. We're going to be on Oceania for the first time for Christmas/New Year's and that is going to be a gourmet delight. I have no idea how long THAT food tour is going to be. 😅

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Well that's weird. I never understand why TAs would not sell a particular cruise line, especially VV who is awesome to work with from what we've been told. We've had Tamika from VV on our social channels a few times and she's amazing. 

From what I've been told, VV is very strict about agents needing to have training geared specifically to this line, and that each person who is selling the product needs to go to the training.  If true, this is very different from some other companies where if one agent in a large firm has attended training, they can put a sign in the window or in various ads claiming to be a "name of company expert."   I do suspect some agencies avoid the rules by booking under one name who has been to training rather than the agency name or name of person actually booking for the client.  

Bottom line, there are always good agents and agencies as well as the other sorts.

15 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

From what I've been told, VV is very strict about agents needing to have training geared specifically to this line, and that each person who is selling the product needs to go to the training. 

That's true of every cruise line to be honest.  TAs have to go through training before they can start using the booking engines. The good ones go much further than the introductory basic training. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Neilyboy64 said:

I did a trial online booking and i was getting assigned deck 5 right at front of ship but i would like to be higher and midship

sounds like you were booking a sea view then?  there are very few sea view terraces above 5 - i think it's like 2 or 4 per deck at the front, and they're all at the extreme forward end of each deck.  sea terraces are much more plentiful and available on decks 8-14

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

sounds like you were booking a sea view then?  there are very few sea view terraces above 5 - i think it's like 2 or 4 per deck at the front, and they're all at the extreme forward end of each deck.  sea terraces are much more plentiful and available on decks 8-14

If you were looking at a sea view, please consider a sea terrace.  Depending on the cruise, the price difference can be quite minimal and the major perks usually start at the Sea Terrace level--like use of an MNVV certificate for that discount and Loot, etc.  Obviously book what you want, but be sure to explore all options first.

• Like 2