COVID on VISTA??????

fb0075

From another post. Not sure about the all is good. Capt. announced significant number of reported covid for crew a d passengers. All crew wearing masks, passengers are exempt but encouuraged

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2965188-vista-early-morning-announcements-waking-up-cruisers/?do=findComment&comment=66161910

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Seems we might have a mini-outbreak of Covid as we move into autumn.  Like the seasonabl flu.  Probably wearing a mask in airports and when boarding is a good idea?  I do hope by April (when we sail) it will be history.

I don't know that it will ever "be history". It seems to be around for good. 

• Like 5

We are on Vista now, heard that a couple who knew they tested positive attended a function. In the Currents it states that they  "may automatically take your temperature and use facial recognition for security pre-screening purposes and to facilitate and expedite your embarkation and debarkation".

• Thanks 1

Was just on the Transalantic to NYC.  The way to determine COVID postive guests is to look for a small table outside their suite for the deliverance of food.

I only saw one suite with the table outside. The wife and I took testing kits and checked every few days (always negative) but half way thru the wife did come down with the flu and now that we are home, I too now have the flu.  (Still testing to make sure it is not COVID)

39 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Was just on the Transalantic to NYC.  The way to determine COVID postive guests is to look for a small table outside their suite for the deliverance of food.

That is only if they reported   they were positive

Many people  do not & just keep wandering the ship

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

On the TA, I was told the facial recognition was not working.  Boarding was done with ship’s cards only.

Fever (for COVID, flu, norovirus, whatever) is screened for with an old-tech infrared camera, not facial recognition:  Someone watches the "false-color" images and says "You!" to anyone showing a red face (elevated skin temperature), taking them aside for confirmation and diagnosis by the medical staff.

Edited by Snaefell3
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ron&Sue said:

We are on Vista now, heard that a couple who knew they tested positive attended a function. In the Currents it states that they  "may automatically take your temperature and use facial recognition for security pre-screening purposes and to facilitate and expedite your embarkation and debarkation".

Well word of mouth is tough. But how inconsiderate if true 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

There were a small number of individuals, generally older ones, who always were masked.  

I agree that some who may have had COVID did not either know or did not tell that may have been aboard the Transalantic.

Or  maybe they just did not want to catch something from others

I wish we had thought of wearing masks on our TA in 2019 where a lot of people were sick with a respiratory  virus 

$600 for meds  for DH we got off lucky  others had big medical bills

Many neighbors in our over 55 active adult community have returned from Europe with COVID and flu in the last few weeks.  Airline travel appears to be the culprit in most cases; a few mentioned that their river cruises had several passengers who coughed quite a bit.  Those folks began feeling ill on the plane home and tested positive for Covid the next day.  Covid and the flu are now too prevalent to escape when traveling.  We take all precautions, are up to date on our vaccinations, bring medicine with us, and cross our fingers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, both my husband and I developed coughs on Vista in August and we discovered someone on the same deck as us had been confirmed with covid. We went to the ship's doc, filled with trepidation and ran up a considerable sum in tests for all sorts. Not covid, not even strep throat (which we were told is, like covid, subject to enforced isolation on the ship which we did not know),  just acute laryngotracheitis -a sore throat and irritating cough. Some antibiotics and it was quickly sorted. So worth remembering not every cough on a ship is covid. We do indeed, as Nashna says, have to take sensible precautions, have our vaccinations and then just cross our fingers if we want to travel! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:25 PM, fb0075 said:

It was mentioned in our roll call but see nothing here ?!?!

Covid on the rise globally as we move into the autumn and winter months. It would be magnified on a cruise ship given the close contact, and even more so on Oceania given the longer voyages. Get your booster before travel, wear a mask where minimum distances cannot be maintained, especially if you have pre-existing conditions, and wash your hands often, especially if you have pre-existing conditions. 

The medical community and research shows that covid is more contagious than the flu and cold. So be smart. Take care of yourself because nobody else will. 

• Like 3

WE were on the Trans Atlantic and caught Covid.  Quarantined for 5 days.  We appreciated the quality of the medical staff and the Paxlovid....well really Paxzen ( brand) given to us. The staff was wonderful in caring for us.

We were on a couple of bus tours early on, and yes coughing and sneezing heard. Husband also took some crowded elevators with coughers.  Sorry to say I do believe folks walked around with symptoms but did not get checked.  They only thought of themselves not about the spread of the virus.  

Good to hear the crew is masking........wish more was done by Oceania (not just a mention in the currents.

Beautiful cruise despite Covid and Hurricane Lee.