Might cancel cruise in March to take care of parents

desertdwellingsailor

I've got until December 5th or something to pay my final bill for my March cruise but my parents are having some health issues which may empty my savings account temporarily. I'm thinking that there will always be more cruises in the future. I've gone on two in a row the past two years. The nice thing is that I have not committed the money and would only lose my deposit. Since we are fairly close to the San Pedro port in Los Angeles we could even do a drop and go fare if our finances clear up at some point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

I've got until December 5th or something to pay my final bill for my March cruise but my parents are having some health issues which may empty my savings account temporarily. I'm thinking that there will always be more cruises in the future. I've gone on two in a row the past two years. The nice thing is that I have not committed the money and would only lose my deposit. Since we are fairly close to the San Pedro port in Los Angeles we could even do a drop and go fare if our finances clear up at some point.

If you haven't made final payment, and didn't choose the non-refundable deposit option, you should be able to get your deposit back.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Cancelled our cruise. It is not a bad thing. We could use the money for the $200 deposit while dealing with my parents care at the end of their lives. Hopefully we can sell their house and use the money to take care of them but until it happens money is tight and even the small deposit refund would help. Hopefully we can go on a cruise later in 2024 once everything settles down. We went on two Princess cruises in a row so we could wait a few more months for cruise number 3!

• Like 6

Been there with elderly parents.  I would recommend ALWAYS get travel insurance just in case you have to cancel, or return early for emergencies.   I once  had to cancel a trip just as i was getting ready to go to the airport.  My Dad was taken to the hospital, and it was not good.  Luckily I had insurance, and the airlines worked with me as well.  Hope your parents health improves

• Like 1

I have canceled a cruise the day before the final payment.  Actually if you simply do not make the final payment Princess will cancel your cruise for you.  The deposit is returned if it is a refundable deposit.  We have FCD on file and it simply goes back into the active FCDs.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I have canceled a cruise the day before the final payment.  Actually if you simply do not make the final payment Princess will cancel your cruise for you.  The deposit is returned if it is a refundable deposit.  We have FCD on file and it simply goes back into the active FCDs.  

That is good information. In this case I was just debating cancelling today or in a month and decided that I would not know any more a month from now and I might get the small deposit back sooner if I cancel now. Not a big deal since it is only $200 but it is something.

1 hour ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

That is good information. In this case I was just debating cancelling today or in a month and decided that I would not know any more a month from now and I might get the small deposit back sooner if I cancel now. Not a big deal since it is only $200 but it is something.

Better to be proactive as PCL will not cancel guest immediately.  I believe there is some grace period in order to reach out to guest and see if overlooked payment.  If booked with a TA, they will most certainly bug you about it.

• Like 1