Check in process; embarkation time; show reservations

Pghcrews

First time NCL cruiser here, just need a little info from experienced folks.  Can one initiate the online check-in process and then exit/pause the same in order to secure an early embarkation time and make show reservations?  Is there a minimum threshhold of info that needs to be entered for check-in before that can be done?  Any guidance would be very appreciated, my check-in starts at 12:01 am on Oct 2.  TIA.

Just do your check-in, which is unrelated to show or dining reservations. Also, check when the ship actually starts boarding.

Like I had originally wanted an early check-in, like 10 am for the Escape at the MCT. But then I looked to see that they don't start boarding even Haven until about 11:30 am and then noon for everyone else. I figured why go early just to sit for 2 hours in the terminal? So I chose 11:30 to noon as my security check in and only had to wait about 20 minutes, during which time I filled out the customs card and handed it in. 

I had already done my dining reservations when they opened, about 120 days before the cruise, so I wasn't rushing around on embarkation day to make them.

Thanks guys, dining reservations are done.  Nice to no that show reservations are not linked to check in.  

So now just need to know 1. how far through the check in process can you stop and request a boarding time and 2. how do you find out anticipated starting time for boarding.

Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, Pghcrews said:

Thanks guys, dining reservations are done.  Nice to no that show reservations are not linked to check in.  

So now just need to know 1. how far through the check in process can you stop and request a boarding time and 2. how do you find out anticipated starting time for boarding.

Thanks again.

You can't request a boarding time. Just a pier check-in time. Or rather, your arrival to the terminal. It's one of the last things in the online check-in flow. 

Anticipated starting time for boarding will be in your e-docs.

FWIW, about that requested arrival time, doubtful anyone will check it when you arrive!

Edit: Maybe the estimated start of boarding can be seen prior to checking in. I haven't looked for it so I really don't know! 

Edited by Asawi

52 minutes ago, Pghcrews said:

Thanks again.

Having an early check in time only means you'll spend more time in the terminal waiting for boarding.  Seriously, having an early check in time is vastly overrated if you've already made your dining reservations.  

No one gets to board  until all the departing passengers have left the ship. That may not happen for several hours after the ship docks.

Here's an example.

In 2022, we arrived at the terminal in NOLA about  0930.  We stood in a security line until almost 1100.  Then we checked in and we were on the boat about 1145.

In 2023, same ship, same port, we arrived at the terminal around 1045.  We quickly processed through security and checked in.  We boarded the boat about 1145.

Not all terminals have sufficient seating.  So, not only will you have to wait, you may have to stand for over an hour to even check in.

When we boarded the Prima in Southampton, they just had passengers get in line to board as they got off the transfer bus. No one checked the boarding times on the documents. I had estimated when we would get there and put down the 12:30 to 1  boarding time. We boarded earlier by about a half hour.

On 9/27/2023 at 9:19 PM, Pghcrews said:

First time NCL cruiser here, just need a little info from experienced folks.  Can one initiate the online check-in process and then exit/pause the same in order to secure an early embarkation time and make show reservations?  Is there a minimum threshhold of info that needs to be entered for check-in before that can be done?  Any guidance would be very appreciated, my check-in starts at 12:01 am on Oct 2.  TIA.

You should complete your check-in. It only takes 5 minutes. There is no "threshold". Check-in starts at 12:00 midnight eastern time. Show reservations start simultaneously. 

Have your personal information 

Credit card

Emergency contact information 

Passport information 

Mug Shot (literally a photo against a plain background, face forward to the camera (not even slightly tilted), no glasses, no head coverings, high resolution)

You have to watch the safety video, per person. Any attempt to stop will will make you start over (like the Amazing Race). 

Haven/Suite boarding starts around 11:00 am

Priority boarding starts around 11:15

General boarding by group number starts around 11:30

Edited by BirdTravels