HAL Newbie - What Can I Expect? What Can NOT Be Missed?

wurm914

@wurm914 welcome to HAL! Lucky you to be on a ship w/Grand Dutch Cafe - I might sleep there if they let me.

The Bossche Bol is probably the pastry you're referring to - it's a cream filled puff pastry dipped in chocolate. We share between us and still have leftover, they're so big. The apple pie is also large enough to share. With sandwiches & soup on the menu (no charge), too, it makes a great lunch option.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise! And do make use of the laundry service!!

• Like 1

Things I like on HAL:

- NY pizza and the convenience of ordering through the navigator app

- desserts with coffee every night in the MDR

- happy hour if we don’t have a drink package

- the lectures if offered

- the staff is always so nice

- the people I meet on board. My husband and I do like to stay to ourselves a bit and reconnect on cruises but I always meet the nicest people.

- afternoon tea

- bonus meals like lunch and breakfast in the mdr

- room service breakfast on port days

- bread pudding! 
- the Grand Dutch Cafe! 

you will love it!

• Like 2

I like to hang out in the Crowsnest -(usually) a quite place to read a book, play cards or other games (provided). A library close by too. It has a bar and specialty coffee is available. Also a good spot for happy hour or just watching the waves roll by.

• Like 2

Love all these tips.  We sailed on Holland for our 1st cruise (Alaska) on the Oosterdam, nearly 20 years ago.  We will be sailing again in a year.  This time, the Jewel of Baltics, on the Rotterdam.

I have sailed on NCL and Royal Caribbean, along with a river cruise on Viking.  Nothing can beat that 1st cruise. 

• Like 1

Reading this with interest. We are also experienced cruises, Pinnacle with RCI and E+ on Celebrity however have become unhappy with the recent changes. I have now booked 2 cruises on HAL, see my signature, and hope we have found a new home. The reviews I have read indicate people seem happy. Looking forward to a new float but have to wait until 2025.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 4:41 PM, wurm914 said:

Very true!  It's the Konigsdam.  17 Night Vancouver > Hawaii > Vancouver.  Thank you!

On the first 5 or so seadays, try out all the venues (speaking of where to spend your time, not only the upcharge restaurants, but them too). Then you will know where to hang out on the return cruise, and which specialty restaurants you want to repeat (if any, the MDR and Lido are good by themselves!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remarcm said:

Reading this with interest. We are also experienced cruises, Pinnacle with RCI and E+ on Celebrity however have become unhappy with the recent changes. I have now booked 2 cruises on HAL, see my signature, and hope we have found a new home. The reviews I have read indicate people seem happy. Looking forward to a new float but have to wait until 2025.

Welcome to HAL! There's so much to love about the 'Dam ships. I know you'll find what speak to you.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1