Turkish Airlines

SATaxman

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Would you care to elaborate on the actual issue?

yes, TA changed my June flight by 5 minutes and I wasn’t able to change it back! 🙄

We now have a 19 hour wait in Istanbul. Gets us home to jfk 14 hours later. 

That’s not ideal by any means. You can’t change to another flight?  I have noticed that most return flights to the States on TA have lengthy layovers in IST. I believe they are designed to provide visitors to IST a chance to do so without extra charge. Great option if you can make that work. Not so great if you cannot. 

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

That’s not ideal by any means. You can’t change to another flight?  I have noticed that most return flights to the States on TA have lengthy layovers in IST. I believe they are designed to provide visitors to IST a chance to do so without extra charge. Great option if you can make that work. Not so great if you cannot. 

We land in IST after 7 at night. Not interested in exploring on our own. They have "tours" ending at 6:30. We can choose a free hotel. My aggravation is that they are unable to rebook us on another flight without cancelling this inconvenient one. That is there system. Why do they expect customers to do this if they cannot. There are other flights and seats available, just concerned that by the time I enter all of the info, this assigned flight is gone, and the other options might be worse. It seems crazy to me. It also took me 2 weeks of daily calls to actually speak with someone in "ticketing".

Just now, Traveling Fools said:

We were offered a 2-night stay In Istanbul on their dime and extended it for 2 more nights just to get some quality time in Istanbul.  That permitted us to have a better choice of departure times.

Sounds great; however, we need to be back in NYC, preferably earlier that day. Our original flight had us arriving at 4:30 A.M. Now it is 5:50 P.M. 19 hours in Istanbul . Overnight. Nothing to see but the airport and the Lounge, or a hotel.

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We stayed over in Cinque Terre then caught a 7 ish am flight to IST , with a reasonable layover, and then on to ORD landing around 5:30ish pm. 

Not sure if that helps you any though. Your overnight would be at FCO on your dime.

These are all great ideas; however, i cannot make changes without knowing if there are seats on the flight. Even Turkish Air cannot change without cancelling what they gave us because it will be cancelled before they make the changes to the unknown. We need to be back in NYC, already spending 3 extra days in Rome after the cruise.

@SATaxman How frustrating! Just some ideas...

Do you use a full-service TA for your cruise who can assist with seeing if other flights will work for you (mine helps me with flight searches and I book, even though they make no commission on air)?

Have you tried managing your booking online? On their website (https://www.turkishairlines.com/it-int/any-questions/flight-irregularities/) it says,

"Schedule change

• A schedule change is a change in the date, time or flight number of your flight due to operational reasons. In such cases:
  • You can easily and quickly perform transactions in the “Manage Booking” section of the website and mobile app.
  • You can approve the new proposed flight caused by a change in schedule.
  • If the new flight date or route is not suitable for your plans, you can change to a different flight, free of charge, under certain rules.
  • If necessary, you can cancel your ticket and obtain a refund. (For the cancellation of partially used international flight tickets, the refund amount is calculated under the international fare rules.)
  • You can visit the Passenger Rights page for information on your rights in case of schedule change."

I have not used Turkish Air, but I have had to change flights when a schedule change did not work for me with other airlines. Some are straightforward and easy to do online (Southwest, Alaska, Delta) and others are more of a pain (United required a phone call since the flights I wanted did not show up online but resulted in better flights and better fare code). The straightforward websites allow me to view alternative flights before committing to the change (i.e., my current itinerary remains intact while I shop alternatives). The flights I've changed allow me to move flights ±1 day even to flights with a higher cost for free (if the original flight changed more than (often) 30 minutes). I find it strange that the customer service rep can't tell you alternative flights without cancelling your existing flights...doesn't seem like they are competent.

12 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

@SATaxman How frustrating! Just some ideas...

Do you use a full-service TA for your cruise who can assist with seeing if other flights will work for you (mine helps me with flight searches and I book, even though they make no commission on air)?

Have you tried managing your booking online? On their website (https://www.turkishairlines.com/it-int/any-questions/flight-irregularities/) it says,

"Schedule change

• A schedule change is a change in the date, time or flight number of your flight due to operational reasons. In such cases:
  • You can easily and quickly perform transactions in the “Manage Booking” section of the website and mobile app.
  • You can approve the new proposed flight caused by a change in schedule.
  • If the new flight date or route is not suitable for your plans, you can change to a different flight, free of charge, under certain rules.
  • If necessary, you can cancel your ticket and obtain a refund. (For the cancellation of partially used international flight tickets, the refund amount is calculated under the international fare rules.)
  • You can visit the Passenger Rights page for information on your rights in case of schedule change."

I have not used Turkish Air, but I have had to change flights when a schedule change did not work for me with other airlines. Some are straightforward and easy to do online (Southwest, Alaska, Delta) and others are more of a pain (United required a phone call since the flights I wanted did not show up online but resulted in better flights and better fare code). The straightforward websites allow me to view alternative flights before committing to the change (i.e., my current itinerary remains intact while I shop alternatives). The flights I've changed allow me to move flights ±1 day even to flights with a higher cost for free (if the original flight changed more than (often) 30 minutes). I find it strange that the customer service rep can't tell you alternative flights without cancelling your existing flights...doesn't seem like they are competent.

I booked myself. Have spoken with about 2 dozen people at Turkish Airlines, including ticketing agents. They cannot tell me if there are 2 business class seats together until after they select a new itinerary, even the jfk to Venice leg which did not change. The existing will be lost while they try to book another flight. It could actually be worse. This has been going on since Friday September 15. 

3 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I booked myself.

If I understand this, you booked the cruise directly with O (not via a TA), yes?

It's absurd that they can't give you alternatives without cancelling your booking. I was annoyed when I had to call United instead of doing it myself online (I don't do well in person verbally so phone calls are risky); this situation puts me off considering Turkish Airlines in the future since (almost?) all of my recent booked-far-out flights have had large changes in schedule (some acceptable, some not).

I suppose it's too late to get a refund and book elsewhere or you would have done so already. Maybe someone with great Turkish Airlines experience will chime in. I really hope it works out for you.

2 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If I understand this, you booked the cruise directly with O (not via a TA), yes?

It's absurd that they can't give you alternatives without cancelling your booking. I was annoyed when I had to call United instead of doing it myself online (I don't do well in person verbally so phone calls are risky); this situation puts me off considering Turkish Airlines in the future since (almost?) all of my recent booked-far-out flights have had large changes in schedule (some acceptable, some not).

I suppose it's too late to get a refund and book elsewhere or you would have done so already. Maybe someone with great Turkish Airlines experience will chime in. I really hope it works out for you.

Thanks. It has been crazy. I keep telling all of these customer service people to make believe I am their Grandmother trying to do something on line and speaking to people in a foreign country. We have flown Turkish before, never had a problem. 

21 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

They cannot tell me if there are 2 business class seats together until after they select a new itinerary, even the jfk to Venice leg which did not change.

TK doesn't fly JFK-VCE.

Also, is two seats together an absolute dealbreaker?

Just what itinerary, cities, flights and dates are involved?

Details matter.  "We have a 19 hour wait" tells us nothing.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

TK doesn't fly JFK-VCE.

Also, is two seats together an absolute dealbreaker?

Just what itinerary, cities, flights and dates are involved?

Details matter.  "We have a 19 hour wait" tells us nothing.

JFK to Venice, Rome to JFK

Since their Business Class seats are really parallel together, unlike United Polaris "single angled seats", YES, it is a deal breaker. Do not want to be that close to a stranger for 10+ hours.

The real issue is that we need to be back in NYC earlier that day. It is urgent, and personal; however, even after sharing with 2 dozen TA employees both on the phone and in writing, they cannot help. I am going to try again tomorrow and read from their website. The real issue is it seems to be impossible to get to the real decision makers. I have been transferred up several levels in 2 different departments. 

With the exception of the first person I spoke with on the first day, they have all been overly nice, understanding, sympathetic. They have written to the "higher-ups" on our behalf, stressing the urgency of the matter. I even said we would go on the previous day (cut our time in Rome by a day). I have been polite, have not raised my voice , and tried to be very clear. I even cried a couple of times. It have been stressful and exhausting.

Thank you for the input. We have flown Turkish Airlines before, never had to change flights. So there really has not been a problem.

@SATaxman

I don't think you've said how far in the future all this is, but if you haven't reached the final payment date why don't you just cancel the whole damn thing---the cruise, the air, the hotel, everything---and get your money back? Even if you have to lose some of your deposit, it would still be worth it. You've been stressing over this for two weeks with no obvious sign of a satisfactory resolution. You're putting yourself in an early grave! 

On the other hand, if you'd lose tens of thousands of dollars by cancelling, I'd just live with the long layover, take the free hotel, and make the most of it.

Jim

21 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

@SATaxman

I don't think you've said how far in the future all this is, but if you haven't reached the final payment date why don't you just cancel the whole damn thing---the cruise, the air, the hotel, everything---and get your money back? Even if you have to lose some of your deposit, it would still be worth it. You've been stressing over this for two weeks with no obvious sign of a satisfactory resolution. You're putting yourself in an early grave! 

On the other hand, if you'd lose tens of thousands of dollars by cancelling, I'd just live with the long layover, take the free hotel, and make the most of it.

Jim

I believe based on another thread it begins on 10/11. 

BTW, cruise begins in Venice (Trieste) on October 11. Fly to Venice from JFK next Sunday. The change by Turkish Airlines was 3 weeks and 2 days advance notice. The change was only for the return flight Rome to JFK. Our seats actually changed on the "unchanged" leg of the trip with TA doing the change. I cannot imagine the stress of trying to do this myself. Yes, I tried to mock book several better itineraries. The risk is having to also re-book the front end and perhaps losing the only 2 seats together in business class. While I was studying for several careers, I forgot to go to travel agent school. 🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I saw on the Roll Call thread on 9/15 you said you had clicked on something apparently that no longer allowed you to make any changes without paying more?? What was that all about?

I called Turkish airlines after receiving the email about our changed itinerary. The first person who answered kept asking if I wanted to cancel my new flight. I said no, I wanted to change it. Gave 3 very specific reasons which I will not share here. He kept repeating before 7 days after 30 days. Not sure what he meant. I asked if I had to wait until 30 days before the flight, and he kept repeating 7, 30, etc. Finally he said that he had told me 7 times and hung up. I tried making the change on line. My husband's miles and smiles number kept disappearing. I called back, 35 minute wait, clicked on confirm to at least hold this new itinerary until someone answered the phone and could help me change. I was then told that confirm is a change and any other change would cost money, not be free. I heard from the next few people over the next few days 200 dollars to 8000 dollars. I wrote feedbacks, spoke with people in the feedback dept. They had a manager listen to the first phonecard,  and although they agreed that what he told me was confusing, Noone can make an exception. This past week I was speaking with the ticketing dept. They shared several itineraries but told me that if they start the process of changing, even with a fee, I would not know about seating until after both legs of the trip were canceled and rebooted. The front half is perfect and was not part of the change on September 15. Hope this explains the situation. In my world confirm does not mean change. I thought it would just be held until someone could help me rebook the return flight from Rome to jfk.

28 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Given the uptick of COVID cases, sitting in close proximity to an uknown person could for 10 hours in an enclosed plane could be risky, especially since it appears many folks who have symptoms don’t take precautions to protect others.

Thank you. We are in our 70s and wear masks most public places. Would feel much safer next to my husband. We had Covid last October. Only found out because we always test after travel. We had zero symptoms.

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

I called Turkish airlines after receiving the email about our changed itinerary. The first person who answered kept asking if I wanted to cancel my new flight. I said no, I wanted to change it. Gave 3 very specific reasons which I will not share here. He kept repeating before 7 days after 30 days. Not sure what he meant. I asked if I had to wait until 30 days before the flight, and he kept repeating 7, 30, etc. Finally he said that he had told me 7 times and hung up. I tried making the change on line. My husband's miles and smiles number kept disappearing. I called back, 35 minute wait, clicked on confirm to at least hold this new itinerary until someone answered the phone and could help me change. I was then told that confirm is a change and any other change would cost money, not be free. I heard from the next few people over the next few days 200 dollars to 8000 dollars. I wrote feedbacks, spoke with people in the feedback dept. They had a manager listen to the first phonecard,  and although they agreed that what he told me was confusing, Noone can make an exception. This past week I was speaking with the ticketing dept. They shared several itineraries but told me that if they start the process of changing, even with a fee, I would not know about seating until after both legs of the trip were canceled and rebooted. The front half is perfect and was not part of the change on September 15. Hope this explains the situation. In my world confirm does not mean change. I thought it would just be held until someone could help me rebook the return flight from Rome to jfk.

I guess I am missing something, but you said you clicked on confirm to hold the new itinerary which I’m assuming you wanted or you would not have wanted to even hold. But you were then told you had actually changed to this new itinerary because clicking on it was not a hold of this new itinerary which appears you wanted but an actual change? So it would appear then you had actually changed to an itinerary you wanted??? And this first change would have been free?? Again I must be missing something but just attempting to understand the situation

This definitely does sound frustrating @SATaxman !

From what you have shared, it sounds like your "1 free change" has been used so Turkish has fulfilled their obligation. I am no longer an 'air warrior', but based on recent experience most airlines are unlikely to make exceptions and allow further changes for "free" these days unless the ticket requires them to

That still leaves you with an itinerary that isn't perfect and possibly an issue with seat assignments. Your TA will likely have the best advice for seat assignments, and you can always check out the FlyerTalk forum for other flyer's experiences and advice. If you do ask on FlyerTalk, I highly suggest you share specific flight details (date, flight #s) & current seat assignments.

Worst case, it is possible that without paying $$$ you will be flying as currently ticketed.

If you are not able to update seat assignments until then, you may still have a chance at the airport or if that fails by asking to informally swap onboard. Informal swaps are a whole other long topic, reasonable people agree to disagree if it is even wise to ask.

1 minute ago, babysteps said:

This definitely does sound frustrating @SATaxman !

From what you have shared, it sounds like your "1 free change" has been used so Turkish has fulfilled their obligation. I am no longer an 'air warrior', but based on recent experience most airlines are unlikely to make exceptions and allow further changes for "free" these days unless the ticket requires them to

That still leaves you with an itinerary that isn't perfect and possibly an issue with seat assignments. Your TA will likely have the best advice for seat assignments, and you can always check out the FlyerTalk forum for other flyer's experiences and advice. If you do ask on FlyerTalk, I highly suggest you share specific flight details (date, flight #s) & current seat assignments.

Worst case, it is possible that without paying $$$ you will be flying as currently ticketed.

If you are not able to update seat assignments until then, you may still have a chance at the airport or if that fails by asking to informally swap onboard. Informal swaps are a whole other long topic, reasonable people agree to disagree if it is even wise to ask.

Thank you for the response. As I said, I was not aware that "confirm" meant change. I did it to hold until I could speak with a second person, since the first person asked my 7 times if I wanted to cancel, did not understand that I wanted to change, and then he hung up. When I dialed again, the recording said there would be a 35 minute wait. I was scared that he would cancel it before  I spoke to another person. The reasons I gave were pretty urgent, not frivolous. Most companies do have the ability to grant exceptions. We were willing to pay, by day 14; however, did not want to risk losing the first flights which had not been changed by Turkish, but would be cancelled to make the change on the back half.