Another Live from thread - Queen Victoria Greek Islands

rakkor

Regarding the Daily Programme that @rakkorhas kindly downloaded for us each day and reviewed the Insight lectures. I’m surprised there are no port lectures to prep pax on what’s going on at each port. This itinerary looks great with lots of history to see but background talks onboard would enhance the tours. I believe they had some “recon” talks of ports on other cruises.

Am I missing something in the Programme?

Plus, has Greek/Eastern Med food been more emphasized on this voyage? I’ve seen nice dishes and read good feedback but not too much regional specific food offerings. Maybe the buffet adds some regional foods. 
Thoughts?

@NE John Unfortunately I've not got @rafinmd's scanner so I'm unable to post the daily menus in real-time they will have to wait for my return, but we've not had any noticeable Greek dishes on the PG menu. We did have a chicken pitta as a lunch sandwich and I've seen honey cake but no Kleftiko or Stifado so far

Yesterday's Blog and today's Daily Programme have been posted https://blog.rakkor.uk

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, rakkor said:

@NE John Unfortunately I've not got @rafinmd's scanner so I'm unable to post the daily menus in real-time they will have to wait for my return, but we've not had any noticeable Greek dishes on the PG menu. We did have a chicken pitta as a lunch sandwich and I've seen honey cake but no Kleftiko or Stifado so far

Yesterday's Blog and today's Daily Programme have been posted https://blog.rakkor.uk

Morning @rakkor, I’m really enjoying reading your blogs each day, sounds like you are both enjoying yourselves! 

I use an app on my phone called ‘CamScanner’ when I need to scan a document etc but no scanner around. It’s not brilliant, but it does the job 🙂 

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Yes, the ship’s whistle (what do you think it should be called?) sounds at noon only when at sea. 

14 hours ago, rakkor said:

Bloody great hooter is a possibility!

I agree, the term "whistle" brings to mind a much different sound

whistle.png.35c0907d378c2aa7c4a80db744e59631.png

But of course they are called a whistle because originally the sound was produced by venting steam through a much larger version of the same thing.  Just like steam trains.

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I know there were some concerns about the cable car in Santorini, I hope the queues aren't too bad.

This was our 4th visit and easily the worst ref cable car. It took me 50 minutes from centre of town to the cable car but it seemed much longer. Not helped by a group of Italian women both large and very loud who tried to push past everybody and blocked those coming from the cable car. Eventually they were stopped by others and some sort of normality was restored. I fell in with 4 Americans on their first visit who were not impressed. 

Yesterday's Santorini visit and today's Daily Programme have now been published https://blog.rakkor.uk 

Luckily we never had the tribulations that @sogne had with the cable car as our shore excursion left from the new port at Athinios, but we had the cliff road to negotiate which was a scary proposition

IMG_20231010_1711202.thumb.jpg.63ab7ecb1cb55b9d61e49b00078d7eeb.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

Yesterday's Santorini visit and today's Daily Programme have now been published https://blog.rakkor.uk 

Luckily we never had the tribulations that @sogne had with the cable car as our shore excursion left from the new port at Athinios, but we had the cliff road to negotiate which was a scary proposition

IMG_20231010_1711202.thumb.jpg.63ab7ecb1cb55b9d61e49b00078d7eeb.jpg

Have you experienced the mountain road from Andalnes that really is exciting especially when you meet another coach coming the other way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techteach said:

I just read the posts to DH, who hasn’t been to Santorini, and we’ve decided if we should visit we will spend the day in the Spa and enjoy the sunset.

If I ever went back to Santorini, I’d stay on the ship and avoid that crowded, yet beautiful, tourist trap. Santorini personifies my worst fears of cruising. 
It’s so beautiful just to hang out on the ship surrounded by the caldera and enjoy the best weather in the world. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, NE John said:

If I ever went back to Santorini, I’d stay on the ship and avoid that crowded, yet beautiful, tourist trap. Santorini personifies my worst fears of cruising. 
It’s so beautiful just to hang out on the ship surrounded by the caldera and enjoy the best weather in the world. 

If we ever go back that will be our plan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

What a shame Jane missed Santorini, I hate heights and cable cars but I've managed the journey down twice!

I'm not sure she feels she missed out after speaking to our table mates. Also our tour never went to Fira, so those views were never an option. She is looking forward to Cephalonia tomorrow though

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sogne said:

Have you experienced the mountain road from Andalnes that really is exciting especially when you meet another coach coming the other way?

To be honest the wiggly cliff road wasn't the issue, it was reversing at the top of the mountain with a massive drop either side I wasn't so keen on..

• Like 2