American Express offer on Oceania cruises

KKB

Hello All:

History, a few months ago I got a Oceania Perk on my American Express Platinum.  I do believe as someone said those are targeted.  Below is the one I have now for Regent Seven Seas.

image.thumb.png.ae751734d554f3fe47ad9964c978b970.png

Also, for those that might or might not know, NCL, Oceania and Regent have Cruise Perks.  Based on the stateroom you select, I usually get $300.00 on-board-Credit and admission to an event like a wine tasking.

On my upcoming Oceania Cruise in November 2023, I had the Cruise Perk, then when the Extraordinary Sales Event happened, you could not double it the AMX with that sale. Always check your credit card for cruise related perks.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t currently have an AMEX card. Got rid of mine about 15 years ago. Rumor is next summer change could be coming to the O Club plan. That AMEX card may, or may not, be the saving grace.

Is the AMEX card tied anyway currently to the O Club plan benefits?

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Also, for those that might or might not know, NCL, Oceania and Regent have Cruise Perks.  Based on the stateroom you select, I usually get $300.00 on-board-Credit and admission to an event like a wine tasking.

On my upcoming Oceania Cruise in November 2023, I had the Cruise Perk, then when the Extraordinary Sales Event happened, you could not double it the AMX with that sale. Always check your credit card for cruise related perks.

This is new to me. We booked 7 O cruises so far, never got $300 OBC as part of a standard perk. OBC might be part of what TA gives you, or on board booking benefit, or part of Oceania Club, but I never heard about it as a standard perk.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is new to me. We booked 7 O cruises so far, never got $300 OBC as part of a standard perk. OBC might be part of what TA gives you, or on board booking benefit, or part of Oceania Club, but I never heard about it as a standard perk.

For the Amex $300 OBC it has to be the Platinum card I believe.  And it is through the AMEX Cruise Program with the Platinum card. Also as with most things there are rules with regard to be combinable with other offers/sales. 

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Is the AMEX card tied anyway currently to the O Club plan benefits?

No.

The rumor ( actually focus group discussions) is that 2024 marks two years of a full return to cruising for Oceania. The current program is a purely “ life time achievement “ one. Oceania is considering going the way of airlines and hotels. To keep your status, you must cruise. Whether that’s once every 18 or 24 months tbd, but you must cruise. Otherwise, you just revert to Blue.

The open question is “ Will a branded credit card step in to protect your status as with the airlines and hotels?” Doubt Visa or MC would take that huge expense on. Maybe, or not, that specific AMEX card, or an even more expensive one. Guess we’ll find out in the next year.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

@ak1004 The AMX platinum card has cruise perks when you book through AMX travel or a cruise travel agent that participates in the AMX cruise perk program.  All cruise brands are different as it relates to the perks given. One needs to make sure the agent is part of the program when mine was.  

Almost every cruise I have gone on, I got the obc.  Not an agency gift, tied to my AMX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

No.

The rumor ( actually focus group discussions) is that 2024 marks two years of a full return to cruising for Oceania. The current program is a purely “ life time achievement “ one. Oceania is considering going the way of airlines and hotels. To keep your status, you must cruise. Whether that’s once every 18 or 24 months tbd, but you must cruise. Otherwise, you just revert to Blue.

The open question is “ Will a branded credit card step in to protect your status as with the airlines and hotels?” Doubt Visa or MC would take that huge expense on. Maybe, or not, that specific AMEX card, or an even more expensive one. Guess we’ll find out in the next year.

Thanks for the information. I thought I was maybe missing out on something! 

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ak1004 The AMX platinum card has cruise perks when you book through AMX travel or a cruise travel agent that participates in the AMX cruise perk program.  All cruise brands are different as it relates to the perks given. One needs to make sure the agent is part of the program when mine was.  

Almost every cruise I have gone on, I got the obc.  Not an agency gift, tied to my AMX.

Sorry, I misunderstood. So it's Amex perk, no a cruise line perk. But if you book through Amex, can you still transfer the booking to an independent TA who is not part of Amex?

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You can also obtain the AMEX OBC if you book directly with Oceania. Funny thing is though when with them direct they only give you $280.  Also, they do have restrictions. I have a couple instances where they advised not combinable with the Extraordinary Savings sale. Just to be sure this was also confirmed via phone call to AMEX Travel before booking. You know, reigning in your expectations! 

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. So it's Amex perk, no a cruise line perk. But if you book through Amex, can you still transfer the booking to an independent TA who is not part of Amex?

I don’t believe so. AMEX Travel becomes your TA and they get the commission.

There are different options with different perks. 1. Book with whomever and pay with the Platinum card. 2. Book with AMEX Travel and pay with the card.

• Like 1

I think it would be very helpful if people can identify any discount/OBC programs with their official names.  I believe the OBC through American Express Platinum Card or Centurion Card is called American Express Cruise Privileges Program.  I have never used it so far, but this only works when booked with a travel agency that uses American Express Travel platform to book cruises.

Edited by Psoque
added Centurion Card
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I think it would be very helpful if people can identify any discount/OBC programs with their official names.  I believe the OBC through American Express Platinum Card is called American Express Cruise Privileges Program.  I have never used it so far, but this only works when booked with a travel agency that uses American Express Travel platform to book cruises.

Correct.

And the card referenced is the American Express Platinum Charge Card.  Not one of the various Amex CREDIT cards, including those labeled "Platinum" such as the Delta card.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t believe so. AMEX Travel becomes your TA and they get the commission.

There are different options with different perks. 1. Book with whomever and pay with the Platinum card. 2. Book with AMEX Travel and pay with the card.

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I think it would be very helpful if people can identify any discount/OBC programs with their official names.  I believe the OBC through American Express Platinum Card is called American Express Cruise Privileges Program.  I have never used it so far, but this only works when booked with a travel agency that uses American Express Travel platform to book cruises.

That's what I thought.

For for someone who gets significant perks from their independent TA it doesn't really makes sense to book with Amex. And most TAs woyld provide more than $300 in perks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

You can also obtain the AMEX OBC if you book directly with Oceania. Funny thing is though when with them direct they only give you $280.  Also, they do have restrictions. I have a couple instances where they advised not combinable with the Extraordinary Savings sale. Just to be sure this was also confirmed via phone call to AMEX Travel before booking. You know, reigning in your expectations! 

When I originally, booked my Oceana cruise, I asked if they provided the American Express platinum card perks. I was told by the Oceana telephone agent, no. I’m not sure of the information I got was not correct based on your post, or like so many other things it could go either way. So I booked directly with my travel agent and was given $300 on board credit that was based on me having an American Express platinum card. When I had my agent call of Oceana to see if I can get the extraordinary sales event, I was able to do so but this took away the American Express perk of the onboard credit. In that case I saved $1800 on the sale, and gave back 300 of onboard credit. Fair deal.

I hope all that makes sense. Cruise well and enjoy every moment

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

When I originally, booked my Oceana cruise, I asked if they provided the American Express platinum card perks. I was told by the Oceana telephone agent, no. I’m not sure of the information I got was not correct based on your post, or like so many other things it could go either way. So I booked directly with my travel agent and was given $300 on board credit that was based on me having an American Express platinum card. When I had my agent call of Oceana to see if I can get the extraordinary sales event, I was able to do so but this took away the American Express perk of the onboard credit. In that case I saved $1800 on the sale, and gave back 300 of onboard credit. Fair deal.

I hope all that makes sense. Cruise well and enjoy every moment

Like most things when dealing with O reps you never know. But we did book with two different O reps and was granted the AMEX OBC for 280. And agree with what you said on sale. Same with us on the extraordinary sale. Made more sense to use that price and forgo the AMEX OBC. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I think it would be very helpful if people can identify any discount/OBC programs with their official names.  I believe the OBC through American Express Platinum Card or Centurion Card is called American Express Cruise Privileges Program.  I have never used it so far, but this only works when booked with a travel agency that uses American Express Travel platform to book cruises.

Not really true. I have received the AMEX Platinum Card OBC twice when booking directly with an O rep.  They simply advised would be 280 instead of 300 if booked through them directly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Not really true. I have received the AMEX Platinum Card OBC twice when booking directly with an O rep.  They simply advised would be 280 instead of 300 if booked through them directly. 

Yes it is true.  I've never had an opportunity to book directly with Oceania, but if Oceania offers something different to their Platinum Card customers, that's fine, but that does not mean the Cruise Privileges Program does not exist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Yes it is true.  I've never had an opportunity to book directly with Oceania, but if Oceania offers something different to their Platinum Card customers, that's fine, but that does not mean the Cruise Privileges Program does not exist.

I never said it doesn’t exist.  Just said I have received it by booking directly with O. 

I never said that the AMEX Cruise Privileges Program is the only way to get OBC from Oceania while paying with AMEX Platinum/Centurion cards.  I’m not sure what you are disagreeing with me on.

• Haha 1

Something we’ll never learn at our peon level, but what I’d love to know is what negotiated deal do the credit card companies have for points and/or OBC.

We normally value frequent flyer miles at $0.0175-$0.02 per mile, but what does Visa actually pay per mile for them? Same with cruise line OBC, I’m pretty sure they aren’t paying $1 for each OBC $. 

Then the other side of the coin, many smaller businesses won’t accept AMEX cards because they charge 7-7.5% of sale. Visa/MC is 2.5% normally. What kind of a deal can NCLH negotiate and get those charges lowered? Just think, if O is paying top Travel Agencies 16% of fare and AMEX 4+%, that’s a 20% haircut off the top before any O perks! I doubt AMEX would go below 5%! 

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Not true,  All agents can get the CPP benefits for their clients and do not have to book through Amex Platform.  Consortium members of Virtuoso, Ensemble, Travel Leaders, etc are able to get the CPP benefit and they do not use any Amex booking platform.  The CPP works for all travel agencies in the US who book cruises with the cruiselines that offer the CPP.  In the past the TAs called in to American Express Agency Services desk to give clients Platinum/Centurion card number to an Amex rep who would then give a tracking number that TA called into cruiseline and the $300.00 or $500.00 was pur on their account.  The different cruiselines handle singles differently as to how much you get.  I usually get the full amount as I usually pay a hefty single if my husband doesn’t go. As mentioned above it is not combinable with certain promotions nor s it combinable with consortium benefits such as a tour, another OBC, etc.

Now, all travel agents have to do is register online with the Amex agency services desk and the same process takes place only the TAs don’t speak with a rep and they get the tracking number electronically which they call into the cruiseline.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2