When Should Handicap Pax Board on the first Day

mcrcruiser

I travel with a service dog and often am grouped with people who have mobility disabilities. I’ve observed varying embarkation scenarios depending on the port. 

Anyone with a disability should register using the online form and communicate with the accessibility staff well in advance regarding concerns they may have.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 3

Thanks for your reply . When Holland America  issues  boarding passes ,they already know which people are in handicap cabins & imo should issue the boasing pass for  either early or late boarding times  .You are correct that wasch port varies  & imo that should not be  ,HAL should have the polucy in place for every port imo

I would say anyone showing up who is "handicapped" will obviously be given special consideration. Just because the boarding pass doesn't say "This person is special" doesn't mean they won't get special treatment. Unlike an airplane ships are huge and take hours to board. Unlike airplanes cruise ships have wide gangways and people don't need "assistance" to get into that tiny seat. I think that no matter when someone who needs assistance shows up they will get it, like access to elevators where other passengers would use escalators or stairs, perhaps help with carry on bags etc. I don't think you should expect to get "go to the front of the line" service, because you're "handicapped"

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks for your reply . When Holland America  issues  boarding passes ,they already know which people are in handicap cabins & imo should issue the boasing pass for  either early or late boarding times  .You are correct that wasch port varies  & imo that should not be  ,HAL should have the polucy in place for every port imo

I agree with @Caribbean Chris, procedures and priorities vary from port to port. Remember that the ports are run by port staff, not the cruise lines. The workers put on whatever tie or scarf the cruise line gives them to look like they're cruise line employees, but they are not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2023 at 11:53 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Is there a HAL policy in place for handicap to be the first to board any of HAL's ships?

Not that I am aware of. When traveling with a relative who needs a wheelchair, they have always had folks available (though sometimes you need to wait). Boarding is the same thing. They only have so many pushers available so we generally wait in the wheelchair area. 

People arrive throughout the hours long process and are taken on throughout. 

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 2