Silver Spirits Beverage Package

newbe4

16 hours ago, duquephart said:

Americans, I think, tend to go overboard - going so far as to seek out opportunities to tip. I cited my wife's tendencies in a previous thread as an example of this phenomenon. This is why I suggested that you'd make a good American. Tipping up front (and extra) almost smacks of a bribe.

Canadians can as well...  we tend to be very good tippers.

I have known servers in popular restaurants to take home $300+ per night in tips and in Canada (Ontario) we pay them a decent hourly wage which is $16.55 per hour.

I have just received an email from Viking, offering me the opportunity to upgrade to SSP. I have two cruises booked and have already purchased SSP 😳 I’ve never received an email on this subject before, seems like they need more income (who doesn’t). Plus they quoted prices in US$ and they spelt whisky with an e 😡

22 hours ago, shipboy said:

I have just received an email from Viking, offering me the opportunity to upgrade to SSP. I have two cruises booked and have already purchased SSP 😳 I’ve never received an email on this subject before, seems like they need more income (who doesn’t). Plus they quoted prices in US$ and they spelt whisky with an e 😡

I just had a frustrating call with tellus@viking when they called me back from an email that I sent.  They did not get my concern or challenge.

I am Canadian, and interact when booking a Viking cruise with the Canadian site and all prices, cruise, airfare, SS, etc., are quoted in Canadian dollars and I pay a Canadian amount.

When I go into MVJ and look at my cruise, I go into Preferences ( I Think ) and SSBP is there and it plainly states that it is $25 pp per night on the ship.  BUT when I add to my cart, it calculates to $34 pp per night.

This was the point of my call.  The Viking rep proudly told me that when on the booking site all prices are in CAD currency but when on MVJ, the prices are quoted in USD, and hence the conversion to $34 pp per night.  

All fair and good EXCEPT, no where on MVJ in the SSBP description or quote of price does it state the price is in USD.  And no where when I go to check out does it tell me that it converted to CAD currency.

The Viking rep told me that I just have to know this...  and accept this.  I thanked him and hung up.

Point being they need to specify currency because when you are onboard the ship, sometimes prices quoted or charged are in USD and sometimes in Euros.  All confusing.

A little piece on the "e" in Wiskey - depends on where you come from...

So why do you see the name of the liquor spelled both as “whiskey” and as “whisky?” No, it’s not due to a spelling error or typo. It is generally spelled “whiskey”—with an e—in the United States and Ireland. It is spelled “whisky”—without the e—in Scotland and Canada, which are both well known for their whisk(e)y, and in several other countries.

56 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I just had a frustrating call with tellus@viking when they called me back from an email that I sent.  They did not get my concern or challenge.

I am Canadian, and interact when booking a Viking cruise with the Canadian site and all prices, cruise, airfare, SS, etc., are quoted in Canadian dollars and I pay a Canadian amount.

When I go into MVJ and look at my cruise, I go into Preferences ( I Think ) and SSBP is there and it plainly states that it is $25 pp per night on the ship.  BUT when I add to my cart, it calculates to $34 pp per night.

This was the point of my call.  The Viking rep proudly told me that when on the booking site all prices are in CAD currency but when on MVJ, the prices are quoted in USD, and hence the conversion to $34 pp per night.  

All fair and good EXCEPT, no where on MVJ in the SSBP description or quote of price does it state the price is in USD.  And no where when I go to check out does it tell me that it converted to CAD currency.

The Viking rep told me that I just have to know this...  and accept this.  I thanked him and hung up.

Point being they need to specify currency because when you are onboard the ship, sometimes prices quoted or charged are in USD and sometimes in Euros.  All confusing.

So why do you see the name of the liquor spelled both as “whiskey” and as “whisky?” No, it’s not due to a spelling error or typo. It is generally spelled “whiskey”—with an e—in the United States and Ireland. It is spelled “whisky”—without the e—in Scotland and Canada, which are both well known for their whisk(e)y, and in several other countries.

Don't care how they spell it so long as two fingers worth (prefer Blanton's) appears in my glass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You are right, it does state $25 per night.  This is obviously a typo.  Given currency fluctuations, it should state $25 USD per night.  On the same page it gives you the total amount, and that is in $CDN.

However, when the rep told you "....but when on MVJ, the prices are quoted in USD", that is false.  The shore excursions and the total SSBP price are clearly in $CDN.

Edited by millybess

1 minute ago, millybess said:

You are right, it does state $25 per night.  This is obviously a typo.  On the same page it tells you the total amount and that is in $CDN.

However, when the rep told you "....but when on MVJ, the prices are quoted in USD", that is false.  The shore excursions and the total SSBP price is clearly in $CDN.

He argued with me because I stated that I wanted the published price of $25 not $34 per person.  He was not having that at all, but you are correct, the shore excursions are in CAD and not changed to USD when you check out.

1 minute ago, millybess said:

You are right, it does state $25 per night.  This is obviously a typo.  On the same page it tells you the total amount and that is in $CDN.

However, when the rep told you "....but when on MVJ, the prices are quoted in USD", that is false.  The shore excursions and the total SSBP price is clearly in $CDN.

Getting incorrect info from a Viking rep and the sun rising in the east are two things one can count upon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

He argued with me because I stated that I wanted the published price of $25 not $34 per person.  He was not having that at all, but you are correct, the shore excursions are in CAD and not changed to USD when you check out.

Right.  This is Viking we're talking about.  There are posts here on CC about people who have had the price of the previously paid SSBP package changed on their final invoice!

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, CDNPolar said:

I’m Scottish, with an Irish name. No ‘e’ in whisky for me 😁

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, shipboy said:

I have just received an email from Viking, offering me the opportunity to upgrade to SSP. I have two cruises booked and have already purchased SSP 😳 I’ve never received an email on this subject before, seems like they need more income (who doesn’t).

I’m not surprised that they pushed the package. But good luck getting service during the day at the pool bars! Waiters seem conspicuously absent most of the time (at least on my recent cruise)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m not surprised that they pushed the package. But good luck getting service during the day at the pool bars! Waiters seem conspicuously absent most of the time (at least on my recent cruise)

Selling is one thing - delivering is another.

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, shipboy said:
On 11/3/2023 at 2:35 PM, CDNPolar said:

I’m Scottish, with an Irish name. No ‘e’ in whisky for me 😁

Expand  

As long as the "e" is on Jack Daniel's all is well in JimWorld..🥃😎

On 11/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, duquephart said:

Americans, I think, tend to go overboard - going so far as to seek out opportunities to tip. I cited my wife's tendencies in a previous thread as an example of this phenomenon. This is why I suggested that you'd make a good American. Tipping up front (and extra) almost smacks of a bribe.

Right! They absolutely hate “extra” tips.

I’ve had bartenders push the money back across the bar and say “Extra tips make me feel so tawdry!” 😎

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Right! They absolutely hate “extra” tips.

I’ve had bartenders push the money back across the bar and say “Extra tips make me feel so tawdry!” 😎

Doubtful. Oh, I get it - sarcasm. Clever!