Silver Spirits Beverage Package

newbe4

1 hour ago, newbe4 said:

Hello Viking cruisers.

Does any one have a recent drink menu?  I am curious what is offered on board.

Thanks,

This should help. For future reference, the search function on CC sometimes helps - I found this by searching on "bar menu". Cheers! 🍺🥌

(I see OneSixtyToOne beat me by a hair ...)

Edited by CurlerRob
Completion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have found also that the selection is not the same on every cruise.  Depends on where in the world the ship is and if Ocean or River.

River have in the past included some items in the Silver Spirit package  that Ocean has not. 

(I know that this is not a question about Silver Spirits, rather just the drink menu.  Also note that whether on Silver Spirits or not, you have access to everything on the menu if you choose to pay for it.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have found also that the selection is not the same on every cruise.  Depends on where in the world the ship is and if Ocean or River.

River have in the past included some items in the Silver Spirit package  that Ocean has not. 

(I know that this is not a question about Silver Spirits, rather just the drink menu.  Also note that whether on Silver Spirits or not, you have access to everything on the menu if you choose to pay for it.)

Either way you must choose to pay for it.

25 minutes ago, newbe4 said:

This is helpful. I need to think if it is worth getting the package. 

IMO Unless each of you plan to have 2+ cocktails a day, it’s not worth it. I’m not a wine connoisseur so the included wine is fine for me.

On our last and upcoming cruise, SSP was/is included. We did take the opportunity to try a few different cocktails but in no way came even close to what would have been a break even point. 

• 3 weeks later...

We had the Silver Spirits Package on our last cruise (Sept 2023 Duluth, MN to Toronto 15 day) on the Viking Polaris. The beverage package was a booking bonus for early booking. We used the package for wines at Lunch and Dinner.We did find some wines on the menu we liked.  In the future we will just order a menu wine at dinner.  We did not get mixed drinks.

It was a long delay to get the wine.  Someone would go get the wine menu usually taking about 15 minutes.. After 15 - 20 minutes someone would return to take our order.  After another 10 minutes we would finally receive our glasses of wine. It usually took about 45 minutes for us to get the menu wine Because of the time delay in getting our ordered wine, we will not purchase the package on other Viking Cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Escaper said:

Wow, that is certainly very slow wine service.  We have cruised both River and Ocean, and I cannot recall ever waiting more than 5-7 minutes for a bottle of wine.  Maybe a teething problem on the new Polaris????

The only thing I can think of is if you're sitting down somewhere and want drink service to that location. I've been to busy bars on bigger ships and I didn't care to wait 5 to 7 minutes simply to grab a beer. But, if you go to the bar and subvert the drink waiter, it goes faster.

I frequently found that if I wanted a wine that was not the included wine for the evening it could take a LONG time...so as I leave the bar to go to dinner I either get another cocktail or a glass of the wine that I will probably choose for dinner.  then I am not irritated waiting for a wine menu or someone to help us choose.

• Like 4

We have gotten our own wine as well, especially if we are going to eat in the world cafe. I’ll get a table and my husband gets the wine from the bar. Then we can relax and have a drink before taking turns getting our food. No need to wait for the wine menu and service.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, deec said:

I frequently found that if I wanted a wine that was not the included wine for the evening it could take a LONG time...so as I leave the bar to go to dinner I either get another cocktail or a glass of the wine that I will probably choose for dinner.  then I am not irritated waiting for a wine menu or someone to help us choose.

Deec, this is absolutely a thread drift, but I think you might be back from your Douro River cruise, and I would love to hear about it.  Maybe post on the all Douro thread.  I have several questions, although we don’t go until a year from now.  Thanks.

On our Great Lakes cruise the Silver Spirit Package was included, so we decided to compare what we would have spent if we had not had it. We upgraded wines (Viking had my favorite Austrian wine) and had a few drinks and after dinner Irish Coffees (we are not big drinkers). In the end the SS package would not be a good deal for us. I think if you upgrade wines and have at least two drinks per person per day, it would turn out to be a “bargain”; otherwise not so much. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Deec, this is absolutely a thread drift, but I think you might be back from your Douro River cruise, and I would love to hear about it.  Maybe post on the all Douro thread.  I have several questions, although we don’t go until a year from now.  Thanks.

you can contact me deedavisclark@gmail.com  My husband did a great private FaceBook Group post so send me your email and if you are on FaceBook I can invite you to see the photos etc.