Always available items in YC

DisneyJen

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We are booked in YC on MSC Davina in February and the gratuities are separate.  I had our TA pre-pay ours so I would not have to keep track of them onboard.

We did not do this.  So, now I presume our OBC can go toward the grats.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, actuarian said:

On X, every room that is classified as a suite (including the junior suites that X calls Sky Suites) is part of the retreat. While the upper suites (Royal Suite and above) do come with a few extra perks, all of the suites on X share the same Retreat Sundeck, the same Retreat Lounge and the same Luminae restaurant. The result is that, on the newer ships on X (the Edge Class ships), 12.0% of the rooms are part of the Retreat. By contrast, on the newest MSC ships (the World Class ships), 5.8% of the rooms are part of the Yacht Club. This makes it almost impossible for X to provide the same level of service in the Retreat as MSC provides in the Yacht Club. That is mostly because there are no accommodations on X that are comparable to the MSC Aurea Experience suites. That means that all of the suite accommodations on X get clumped together. The result is that the MSC Yacht Club feels much more exclusive that the Celebrity Retreat.

Excellent points @actuarian!

On 10/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, sbcs5390 said:

I want to spend some more time with this thread as I have a lot of opinions about the Retreat vs. YC experience. YC was leaps and bounds better and a fraction of the cost. 

Looking forwards your thoughts on Retreat vs. YC, I can't believe how much X is charging for its suite.

Bon voyage tomorrow!

• Like 1

I can say that the shrimp cocktail is no longer listed on the menu as a Classis always available choice, and upon request was told its only available certain days in the YC Restaurant for whatever reasons. At least on the Seascape when I inquired as I do enjoy a shrimp cocktail when at sea.. As with all things MSC, YMMV.

Edited by TwoAdriftAtSea
Seascape not seashore, autofill keeps putting seashore for some reason!!
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TwoAdriftAtSea said:

I can say that the shrimp cocktail is no longer listed on the menu as a Classis always available choice, and upon request was told its only available certain days in the YC Restaurant for whatever reasons. At least on the Seascape when I inquired as I do enjoy a shrimp cocktail when at sea.. As with all things MSC, YMMV.

This is disappointing to hear. I hope this is not the case on our Divina cruise next year. 

On 10/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, TwoAdriftAtSea said:

Thank you for confirming... I had noticed on menus posted recently that it was no longer there. I am not pleased to hear because I do like a good shrimp cocktail or 4 as my dinner while at sea.  

On 10/16/2023 at 8:16 PM, Stem to Stern said:

Are there onion rings available in the Yacht Club?  

I think these would be a nice addition to this diet.

I am being good pre-cruise so I can indulge in all things naughty when I get on board.

By the way our baby looks just like your kitty.  So handsome.

Thanks, he is momma's handsome 25# brut of a cat.  

Recent sailing, always available not on menu a couple nights.  Still available, probably.  Go to filet sucked.  Dinner menu C-.  Lunch menu C-.  Baked potato replaced with scoop like grade school.

Onion rings back in day were coveted.  Plenty of reports only one exact combo got them.  Try to order individually, no.  Today, probably if you ask.  Burgers for lunch whether in restaurant or pool great.  Hot, fresh bun, crisp lettuce.  Fries hot.  They have a unique taste like fried in something to fry seafood but good.  The special English ketchup bottles were in use.  Pool buffet for lunch great but filet there rubber too.

• Like 1

Spent the morning researching equivalent 2024 cruises and in YC like for like we are seeing 30% increases in cost. 

This week on Grandiosa we paid £5,960 - the equivalent sailing next year is £8,100 after Voyagers club and travel agent discounts.

Our Easter ‘24 booking on World Europa was £7,490 and October prices coming in £9,500.

All YCD grade cabins (duplex with whirlpool). 

I wonder with the increases in cost whether the value proposition for YC is still worth it. 

44 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Thanks for the update @dexddd👍

@raino144 - cruise prices, especially in suites, have risen dramatically across the industry, My understanding is there is a huge demand for all sorts of cruising and lots of covid cruise credits driving up cruise fares.

We’ve negotiated the agents down to £7,600 for Grandiosa so far. We’ll most probably bite at £7,500… still a whopping 25pc increase!

We're booked for our birthdays and anniversary cruise in May on Meraviglia

in YC🥂

So yet another silly question ... it is going to be a long 202 days🙃

Wondering if we can get corned beef hash for breakfast in either the YC Dining Room or at the buffet.

I know we won't starve 🍽️

"Too much time on my hands" 🎶🎹🎶

5 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

So yet another silly question ... it is going to be a long 202 days🙃

Wondering if we can get corned beef hash for breakfast in either the YC Dining Room or at the buffet.

Now I do not feel so bad about my 104 days until we cruise. 

I am sure you can get corned beef hash but I have looked at the menu's that have been posted and do not see it.   I will make sure to order it on my cruise and post my results just for you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Now I do not feel so bad about my 104 days until we cruise. 

I am sure you can get corned beef hash but I have looked at the menu's that have been posted and do not see it.   I will make sure to order it on my cruise and post my results just for you. 

Much appreciated @DaKahuna!

Wondering what time the buffet/grill and bar are open on the YC Sun Deck.

I would love to have a drink and snack/appetizer al fresco before heading down the YC Restaurant for dinner. We love to be outdoors as much as possible when we cruise.

On 11/7/2023 at 6:27 PM, DisneyJen said:

Wondering what time the buffet/grill and bar are open on the YC Sun Deck.

I would love to have a drink and snack/appetizer al fresco before heading down the YC Restaurant for dinner. We love to be outdoors as much as possible when we cruise.

The pool bar was 7 am to 8 pm weather permitting.  Breakfast 7:30-10-30.  Lunch noon to 3.  Light snacks later.

• Like 1

Hey @DisneyJen excited for you first YC sail!  We sailed Mera in March- first time.  Looking for a March cruise now and considering YC again.  There are so many wonderful things- facilities are amazing.  Sitting out watching the sunset before dinner is just stunning.  Never busy that time of day and you couldn’t ask for a better atmosphere.  The basic YC suite is lovely.  Plenty of space, loved the bathroom and closet layout.  Loved the TS lounge - piano music and singer each evening - perfect entertainment for us- preferred to production shows!  Clientele was lovely.  Private island is second to none.  Only did Butcher’s Cut for specially dining but it was as good as any steakhouse we’ve experienced at sea.  Wonderful experience there. 

But, I found it also takes a hearty dose of patience.  I would not describe YC as being “just so”. Takes lots of flexibility on your part.  I will give some examples…

-  issues with supply - no bottled water at YC buffet, no Diet Coke some days, no cream cheese for lox and bagel (used whipped butter?), no mint for mojitos, etc. - one day they’d have something the next day not.

- premium drink package was a bit of a joke. No premium offerings outside the YC, but also problems within the YC and they regularly “pour down”.  We’re big wine drinkers and we’re disappointed regularly with limited offering. Only had premium bourbon on first day then gone. 

- inconsistencies in how drinks were made.  My husband’s old fashions were never the same and often undrinkable. Same with mojitos and margaritas. 
- butler kept an incredibly clean cabin but really did nothing else.

- ordered pizza one time- took nearly an hour and was completely the wrong pizza (buffet pizza is amazing!)

- really odd snack offerings in TS lounge- often just pearl onions. And I’m not kidding… 

- I spent two full days trying to get water in the hot tub on the balcony of my second cabin, an Aurea suits for the young adult daughter and friend.

- Staff inconsistently trained.  Was told no priority boarding for Aurea, that was wrong. Girls turned away from thermal spa, that was wrong.  Something as simple as made to order omelette at TS buffet- never made to order. Seemed to find myself advocating and negotiating way too often (I was on vacation…) 

- Was told we had to be out of our cabin on disembarkation day by 7am.  We were one the first off the ship then Waited 1.5 hours outside for airport transport.  Of course, should have gone to breakfast, but it was our first sail in YC and that was not offered as option. 
- breakfast hours for sit down breakfast short- over by 9? DH likes to sleep in on holiday. 
- Pool was full with rowdy kids during the day.  Never found that I wanted to use it. Think splash party daily with adults egging them on.  I get it- it is a family space and that was their family fun.  It is their vacation too. But kills the resort vibe.  We went to the adult only pool area in gen pop. 

I only share this for your planning.  We are cruise line agnostic- sail all lines.  NCL is our favorite but that’s because we cruise with young adult daughters and the nightlife and entertainment work best for us.  Again, considering YC now, but with very modified expectations… YMMV

Please report back! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, L1211 said:

"Girls turned away from thermal spa, that was wrong."

I agree with many of your observations. However, there is one point you mentioned in which MSC had things correct.

While Aurea status still includes access to an Aurea sundeck, Aurea bookings no longer include thermal spa access unless a pass is purchased. However, a Voyagers Club Gold booking would include one visit per cruise, for up to one hour.

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

I agree with many of your observations. However, there is one point you mentioned in which MSC had things correct.

While Aurea status still includes access to an Aurea sundeck, Aurea bookings no longer include thermal spa access unless a pass is purchased. However, a Voyagers Club Gold booking would include one visit per cruise, for up to one hour.

Oh good to know.  Considering Aurea for the girls again.  

• Like 1

Some of that true, others just hit or miss.

As I said in a previous post, YC experience downfalls are not people generally, it is the system and setup.  Captain John's review on newest ship shows improvements in next class as they have been doing, although slowly.