Always available items in YC

DisneyJen

Greetings all!

@DJ's DH and I are considering our 40th anniversary cruise on MSC in YC.

Most recently we have been sailing on X in their upper suites.  Pricing and service on X has us looking at other lines.

@DJ's DH big questions include if he can get French Onion Soup, Caesar Salad or Shrimp Cocktail for dinner in the YC and Bagels with Lox and Cream Cheese for breakfast.

First world problems but the man knows what he likes ... and he foots the bill 🙂

• Like 1

Greetings, fellow Nittany Lion.  I was raised in S. C.  
I have not sailed in YC but the breakfast menu in the MDR has smoked salmon, cream cheese, bagel, etc.  If it’s not on the YC menu, they will get it for you.  @optimusprime82just posted the last night menu for his cruise, and French Onion soup is on the Comfort classic menu.  But a caveat… his menu is an amalgam of the menus on my August 4 day cruise.  Always Caesar salad, but the Lasagna Bolognese and prime rib were on different nights.  
But the YC aims to please, so they will get it for you.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

We Are ... @Essiesmom🐾

Homecoming is this weekend so you know it is crazy here 🏈

I am guessing if we let the YC staff know that we would like some of the Comfort Classics the day before we dine with us that they work with us.

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, DisneyJen said:

Greetings all!

Most recently we have been sailing on X in their upper suites.  Pricing and service on X has us looking at other lines.

@DJ's DH big questions include if he can get French Onion Soup, Caesar Salad or Shrimp Cocktail for dinner in the YC and Bagels with Lox and Cream Cheese for breakfast.

First world problems but the man knows what he likes ... and he foots the bill 🙂

I sailed last month in Yacht Club on Meraviglia.  Those items are readily available in Yacht Club dining room.  Just let them know in advance what you want and they will accommodate.  At dinner on the first night one member of our group requested shrimp cocktail every night and that was no problem whatsoever.  In YC, they aim to please.  

I,  too, always sailed in upper suites on Celebrity.  After 95+ Celebrity cruises I decided to try MSC.  I was blown away by the level of service we received in YC….it far surpassed anything I’ve recently experienced on Celebrity.  Enjoy!

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, DisneyJen said:

Greetings all!

For breakfast, lox and bagels with cream cheese is on the menu in YC.  For the dinner, it would be wise to advise the staff on what you want.  The French Onion Soup, Caesar Salad are only one one day of the seven-day rotation  The Shrimp Cocktail has been on the the always available on our last cruise, but that may change.  Certainly, those three requested dishes would be easy for them to make up for you with a bit of notice.

Good luck against U Mass.  The next week may be a bit more difficult for you!  (I hope, at least! ☺️).  Go Bucks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jcpc said:

I sailed last month in Yacht Club on Meraviglia.  Those items are readily available in Yacht Club dining room.  Just let them know in advance what you want and they will accommodate.  At dinner on the first night one member of our group requested shrimp cocktail every night and that was no problem whatsoever.  In YC, they aim to please.  

I,  too, always sailed in upper suites on Celebrity.  After 95+ Celebrity cruises I decided to try MSC.  I was blown away by the level of service we received in YC….it far surpassed anything I’ve recently experienced on Celebrity.  Enjoy!

Thanks @jcpc!

Good to hear about the comparisons about your X versus MSC experiences.

Do you know if there is much of a service difference in levels of suites on MSC like there is on X? I have researched quite here on CC and on the MSC site but can't find much difference balcony suites.

6 minutes ago, JAGR said:

For breakfast, lox and bagels with cream cheese is on the menu in YC.  For the dinner, it would be wise to advise the staff on what you want.  The French Onion Soup, Caesar Salad are only one one day of the seven-day rotation  The Shrimp Cocktail has been on the the always available on our last cruise, but that may change.  Certainly, those three requested dishes would be easy for them to make up for you with a bit of notice.

Good luck against U Mass.  The next week may be a bit more difficult for you!  (I hope, at least! ☺️).  Go Bucks!

Good to know @JAGR!

Here's hoping for an exciting game next week!

1 hour ago, DisneyJen said:

Do you know if there is much of a service difference in levels of suites on MSC like there is on X? I have researched quite here on CC and on the MSC site but can't find much difference balcony suites.

We sailed on Meraviglia and had two Deluxe Suites on Deck 18 and one Duplex Suite with Whirlpool on Deck 12 (Deck 12 is out of the YC Enclave but these Duplex Suites are part of YC).  On Meraviglia the suite categories (listed top to bottom) are:  Royal, Duplex, Deluxe, Inside.  Other ships may have more suite classifications,  but I can only speak to Meraviglia.  We honestly saw no difference in the service level between the Duplex Suite and the Deluxe Suite.  And actually we all thought that the butler assigned to the two Deluxe Suites on Deck 18 was far more accommodating and proactive than the butler assigned to my friends in the more expensive Duplex Suite (mind you, they wanted for nothing in the Duplex, but our butler just went that extra step.)

I know on Celebrity you usually receive "better" service if you are staying in Iconic, Penthouse, Edge Villa, Royal as opposed to Celebrity Suite or Sky Suite.  (Of course, that's also ship/staff dependent - I've had less than stellar service sometimes staying in PH suites).  But I did not experience this "class distinction" on Meraviglia.  All five of us sailing (note two Zenith and three Elite Plus Captain's Club members) agreed that MSC totally blows Celebrity out of the water when it comes to service in the suite categories.  We've all re-booked MSC for a couple of 2024 sailings.

I can honestly say the only thing I missed about not sailing on Celebrity was the Martini Bar (LOL) and the staff and crew, many of whom I've known for years. 

• Like 2

In YC, all guests are treated equally, whether in an inside or the best suite in the enclave.  Personal service for your cabin totally depends on how good your particular butler is - he/she can be amazing - or less than mediocre.  However, the assistant butler can be more helpful.  Elsewhere, service is exceptional. 

Having experienced The Retreat, the Yacht Club is, overall, a much better product IMHO (except for food offerings, where Luminae has the edge). 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I think you'll be extremely satisfied with YC on MSC.  With the increased pricing and decreased service on Celebrity Retreat, we all thought it was time to look elsewhere.  

6 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Having experienced The Retreat, the Yacht Club is, overall, a much better product IMHO

I'm a Celebrity Retreat refugee sailing MSC YC for the first time in March. Thank you both for your comments.

• Like 2

Thanks @Beamafar!

We love Luminae for dinner but never seem to make it for breakfast or lunch.

Good to know there isn't suite class distinction in the YC. I hear you on butlers. When we were on X in a RS we had a less than stellar butler. The best butler we've had was on X in a CS.

• Like 1

Just now, DisneyJen said:

Thanks @Beamafar!

We love Luminae for dinner but never seem to make it for breakfast or lunch.

Good to know there isn't suite class distinction in the YC. I hear you on butlers. When we were on X in a RS we had a less than stellar butler. The best butler we've had was on X in a CS.

We had the cabin next to the Penthouse suite on Millennium, meaning we shared their butler.  It was a very disappointing experience. 

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

In YC, all guests are treated equally, whether in an inside or the best suite in the enclave.  Personal service for your cabin totally depends on how good your particular butler is - he/she can be amazing - or less than mediocre.  However, the assistant butler can be more helpful.  Elsewhere, service is exceptional. 

Having experienced The Retreat, the Yacht Club is, overall, a much better product IMHO (except for food offerings, where Luminae has the edge). 

@Beamafar I have to disagree regarding food offerings.  Every single solitary time I have sailed on Celebrity I request no sodium, or at a minimum low sodium meals for health reasons.  By day 3 my feet, ankles and legs are extremely swollen due to the high salt/preservatives used in the food.  On MSC I spoke to the restaurant manager regarding my low sodium request and was told to not worry as the chef does not cook with excessive salt.  I thought to myself, “yeah, sure, I’ve heard that before” and mentally prepared myself to expect swollen feet, etc.  Well, this restaurant manager knew what he was talking about.  I did not have to pre-order meals in the restaurant but the Maitre’d reviewed my meal choices with me.  This is the first cruise in a very long time where I experienced no swollen ankles.  I thought the food tasted great (actually many offerings tasted better to me than anything I’ve recently eaten in Luminae).  And Luminae is, in my opinion, very “seafood heavy” whereas YC Restaurant was not.

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jcpc said:

@Beamafar I have to disagree regarding food offerings.  Every single solitary time I have sailed on Celebrity I request no sodium, or at a minimum low sodium meals for health reasons.  By day 3 my feet, ankles and legs are extremely swollen due to the high salt/preservatives used in the food.  On MSC I spoke to the restaurant manager regarding my low sodium request and was told to not worry as the chef does not cook with excessive salt.  I thought to myself, “yeah, sure, I’ve heard that before” and mentally prepared myself to expect swollen feet, etc.  Well, this restaurant manager knew what he was talking about.  I did not have to pre-order meals in the restaurant but the Maitre’d reviewed my meal choices with me.  This is the first cruise in a very long time where I experienced no swollen ankles.  I thought the food tasted great (actually many offerings tasted better to me than anything I’ve recently eaten in Luminae).  And Luminae is, in my opinion, very “seafood heavy” whereas YC Restaurant was not.

I have some food allergies that I always let the cruise lines know at booking. I also confirm with the Concierge and the maitre'd. We also eat a low sodium diet.

In Luminae, @DJ's DH would often order off the MDR or Blu menus if he couldn't find something he liked as an entree. Looking at the YC menu their always available will work for him.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I'm a Celebrity Retreat refugee sailing MSC YC for the first time in March. Thank you both for your comments.

I think you will enjoy it..I enjoy both…agree on the Martini Bar comment above.  Overall I prefer the entire ship on Celebrity, but the YC is a step above.

• Like 1

We were Celebrity loyalists but the pricing for the suites and cutback is services had us looking to book elsewhere,  Even AQ is getting ridiculous.  We have our first YC cruise this Sunday and are looking forward to it.  We live about an hour from Brooklyn.  My wife was born and raised in Brooklyn but I married her regardless.  I am very pleased to hear that low salt is not an issue since I, too, develop cruise cankles.  Will report back upon return.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3