HELP! My sons ESTA is pending for the fourth day. We sail in a transatlantic from Southampton on Sunday. What can we do?

ellie1145

there has been reports in the press of ESTA payment problems going back to the start of the year.  The articles I have seen say that the helpline is aware of the fault.

It even is on some other websites and this comment came from MSE in Feb this year.

The exact same thing just happened to me whilst trying to process my ESTA on a desktop PC - what a faff!

Try following the link in your ESTA Application Number confirmation email - it eventually generated a payment link & worked for me on a different device, ie iPhone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

One has to ask the question why didn't you apply BEFORE booking the cruise? If he is denied there is NO WAY he will get a visa by Sunday. not at friday 11.39am UK time.

The OP is asking about an ESTA,  NOT a visa, these are two different things

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crazyank said:

The OP is asking about an ESTA,  NOT a visa, these are two different things

If the ESTA comes back refused he has to obtain a visa. NO WAY he gets that in time to board in Vigo or Lisbon.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

Just now, ace2542 said:

If the ESTA comes back refused he has to obtain a visa. NO WAY he gets that in time to board in Vigo or Lisbon.

Indeed. Dante’s 10th circle of Hell! I applied for a visa appointment in London back in March and was able to select only 1 available appointment slot in June before the next available one in October. The whole experience (when it goes “smoothly”) is beyond awful!

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

One has to ask the question why didn't you apply BEFORE booking the cruise? If he is denied there is NO WAY he will get a visa by Sunday. not at friday 11.39am UK time.

This is really unhelpful. It makes no difference WHY, the fact is they didn't and now they're understandably frantic. They don't need anybody to be preaching to them. 😕

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

This is really unhelpful. It makes no difference WHY, the fact is they didn't and now they're understandably frantic. They don't need anybody to be preaching to them. 😕

It is also very true. If he can't get the ESTA his money is gone all of it.

I do not know if he can board without ESTA and hope this clears before they get to NJ or Bermuda. On QM2 in 2017 December crossing I had my ESTA approved but not printed off I made them wait a few days  for it mostly because the printers in use whenever I went to use them.

It’s tied to your passport number, so the printed copy is really for your own convenience. The problem with defaulting to an en-route disembarkation, is that mechanical, weather, or other disruption, can result in that port being skipped. Landing a passenger who is not properly documented can (and usually does) result in the carrier being fined and required to remove them from the territory. 

It is highly unlikely the carrier would risk accepting a passenger without the required documentation, but the ultimate decision lies with them?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jetdriver787 said:

It’s tied to your passport number, so the printed copy is really for your own convenience. The problem with defaulting to an en-route disembarkation, is that mechanical, weather, or other disruption, can result in that port being skipped. Landing a passenger who is not properly documented can (and usually does) result in the carrier being fined and required to remove them from the territory. 

It is highly unlikely the carrier would risk accepting a passenger without the required documentation, but the ultimate decision lies with them?

Then why was Cunard chasing me for it then? Letters in the door that sort of thing. If they had access to it the entire time? My father had his printed on paper I did not. I offered to give the reception desk the all the info but they wanted paper copy. That was christmas 2017 though.

18 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

I guess this is a stupid question but would they allow him to get off in Bermuda and fly home from there without entering the US? So no ESTA required? 

Routine downline disembarkations have been disallowed since the restart. Besides, it is very unlikely they can board without the ESTA

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UKWLDCruise said:

there has been reports in the press of ESTA payment problems going back to the start of the year.  The articles I have seen say that the helpline is aware of the fault.

It even is on some other websites and this comment came from MSE in Feb this year.

The exact same thing just happened to me whilst trying to process my ESTA on a desktop PC - what a faff!

Try following the link in your ESTA Application Number confirmation email - it eventually generated a payment link & worked for me on a different device, ie iPhone.

Thank you for your advice. I’m convinced it’s a payment issue

Many thanks to all the kind people who have taken the time to offer help and advice. 

21 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Many thanks to all the kind people who have taken the time to offer help and advice. 

I have everything crossed for you. Please come back and let us know. Hopefully it will be a happy outcome.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Thank you for your support and very kind words FionaGM. This cruise was to be special because our son was accompanying us for the first time in a number of years. He’s had a stressful few months and really needs this break. 

As we get older it’s also great to have an extra pair of hands heaving suitcases  heaver’🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Then why was Cunard chasing me for it then? Letters in the door that sort of thing. If they had access to it the entire time? My father had his printed on paper I did not. I offered to give the reception desk the all the info but they wanted paper copy. That was christmas 2017 though.

They don't have access to it as such but what they do it present your passport details to the ESTA system and it will return a yes or no flag. A No flag basically means your arnt boarding or flying depending what your doing.

They can only present it at point of check in as an ESTA can be revoked if the CBP decide to do so for whatever reason so there's no point in doing it earlier

The Esta does state printing it off may be helpful but officially you do not need a copy as it's the flag in the system that decides not a piece of paper that only shows the status at the time it was printed. You can easily push back if they ask for proof as it's in the check in system 

Edited by gavvy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gavvy said:

They don't have access to it as such but what they do it present your passport details to the ESTA system and it will return a yes or no flag. A No flag basically means your arnt boarding or flying depending what your doing.

They can only present it at point of check in as an ESTA can be revoked if the CBP decide to do so for whatever reason so there's no point in doing it earlier

The Esta does state printing it off may be helpful but officially you do not need a copy as it's the flag in the system that decides not a piece of paper that only shows the status at the time it was printed. You can easily push back if they ask for proof as it's in the check in system 

I'm one of those people who always print everything off, even though, as you say, supposedly you don't need to have a printed copy of an ESTA. I can tell you that I have always, on every single ESTA-required trip, be it at an airport or a cruise port, been asked to show that "unnecessary" printed copy. I think it's because the airlines and cruiselines are terrified about the possibility of accidentally letting someone board who shouldn't be allowed.

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Have you checked the bank statement yet? Try and go to a public library use a pc computer with the keyboard you can touch or does a neighbour or friend have a pc you can use?

Edited by ace2542
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Have you checked the bank statement yet? Try and go to a public library use a pc computer with the keyboard you can touch or does a neighbour or friend have a pc you can use?

Yes he’s checked the bank statement. It hasnt been taken. 

8 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Yes he’s checked the bank statement. It hasnt been taken. 

Input the application number on the check individual application and post a picture put your thumb over the passport number but get the application status in the picture and any boxes you can 

Edited by ace2542
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Is the payment showing as pending or is it not showing up at all? I can check my payments with my HSBC app on my phone 

There was a ‘’hold’ on it until today. Now that hold has disappeared. But no payment has been requested or taken from the credit card company again. 

He spoke to the CC company who say they haven’t received a request for the money. 

Edited by ellie1145

Just now, ellie1145 said:

There was a ‘’hold’ on it until today. Now that hold has disappeared. But no payment has been requested or taken from the credit card company again. 

And the application still shows as authorisation pending not travel not authorised?

26 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

He spoke to the CC company who say they haven’t received a request for the money. 

If the application hasn't been accepted or rejected by what 9am tomorrow morning do a new application which will delete the current one and tell him to use his bank card the one his bank gave him make sure enough money is in the account as well 

• Thanks 1

We are staying overnight in a hotel near my daughter and grandchildren before we say goodbye to them tomorrow.

To our utter relief our son has just messaged to say it has been approved and he has his ESTA. 

Maybe his phone calls and the escalation of his case worked. We will never know. But we are so grateful. 

It’s been a really harrowing few days but I would like to thank all of you who have been so helpful and so concerned,  and who have shown such kindness. It has really been appreciated. 

There are, of course, lessons to be learned, but for the moment we can sleep easy and look forward to boarding the beautiful Anthem of the Seas on Sunday (with our son!)

Take care everyone and happy sailing!

A million thanks again. 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1