Drop off in Valencia

posford

Hi All

Does anyone know where P&O are dropping off the shuttle bus these days.

It used to be next to the old river bed ( Park) in the middle of Valencia but I have read that it maybe the new part of town now.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

In April, and on other cruises since, it has been next to the Science Park.  I can't see it being any different. 

We must have been one of the last to have a drop off up in the old place, opposite the Portal dels Serrans on our Azura repositioning cruise in March.  Long transfer both ways.

We were looking at doing the Azura repo again in 2026, but would want to go to the science park area this time.  A tick in the positive column for us.

30 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

We must have been one of the last to have a drop off up in the old place, opposite the Portal dels Serrans on our Azura repositioning cruise in March.  Long transfer both ways.

We were looking at doing the Azura repo again in 2026, but would want to go to the science park area this time.  A tick in the positive column for us.

To be fair, from the drop off point it was a bit of a slog into the city centre, especially with a wheelchair; we went as far as the bull ring near the train station. 

When we visit this time we're going to stay in the park area, and may even visit either the Science Museum and the Oceanogràfic. And, as I've already mentioned, it's ideal for the Carrefour across the road.

• Like 1

There appears to be an alternative, woth checking out

blue cross - ship parks here and 1.5 mile walk to cruise terminal 

orange cross - cruise terminal, actually ferry but new cruise terminal in future.

red cross - present shuttle drop off point

black cross - old town

When we visited Valencia a few months ago there was a free bus shuttle from the berth to the terminal, hardly used because P&O did not tell us it existed.

Local number 95 bus 8 minute intervals Monday to Saturday and 18 minutes on Sundays, both 7.30am to 10.00pm Single ticket price on bus 1.5 euro. there is also a day pass for all routes

valencia bus 95.jpg

• Thanks 3

Just off Arvia and just confirming what others have helpfully said above.

P&O shuttle dropped off outside the Arts &Sciences Museum opposite the large Carrefour shopping centre. It was £5 per person each way if you don’t have them included in your cruise fare. 
From there it’s about a half hour walk to the old town area or get the public bus for E1.50 pay by contactless on the bus. 

There is a free port shuttle but P&O obviously don’t tell you this!

From the port gates as mentioned above you could take bus 95 all the way to the old town or other locations for E1.50.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was in Valencia on Friday on Marella Voyager docked next to Britannia.

Voyager shuttle dropped of in the usual place next to the Towers in the centre.

Walk through the archway and you are in the Cathedral square.

Britannia did indeed drop of at the Science Park a long long walk into the city,met lots of unhappy P&Oers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cunard also dropped off at the Science Park last Sunday. The daily programme said that the dropping-off point was determined by local authorities. Maybe the size of the ship, and therefore the number of buses, has some relevance.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, TigerB said:

In April, and on other cruises since, it has been next to the Science Park.  I can't see it being any different. 

Screenshot_2023-10-13-18-44-42-3382.thumb.jpeg.0d40688e15d0350e3d482e367f3aa91b.jpeg

It was the same as this in Sept when I went.

it was still a fair walk in to the town and places to see, so a taxi maybe worth considering if you have any walking issues 😃

Having spent some time in Valencia the science park really is not a good place to drop people off (unless of course they want to enter the science park)

Thats a long walk from the Old Town and back which IMO is where you want to spend time in Valencia if you've not visited before?

It's a great city to visit for food and drink and some culture as well and the costs are a half of what you pay in Barcelona or Madrid in comparison

• Like 4

We have always been shuttled into town - I am talking some years ago and a different line - and suspect that it might be due to traffic and bus parking problems there.  It is indeed a fair way to walk from the Science Park, and both are great to visit, but you need half a day at least for each.  Very disappointing.

Just got home from a Britannia cruise that dropped us off at the Science Park on the shuttle.

No advice whatsoever from P&O, or the shuttle, on how to get to the Old Town. Lots of passengers started the long walk through the park but most gave up as they didn't really know where they were going and turned back.

My wife and I set off through the park but had no idea how far to go, or where to leave the park. Luckily we came across a park keeper. He spoke a little broken English and my broken Spanish helped a bit resulting in him showing us to his office where he gave us a map and instructions!

It was a very hot day and, for some, the distance involved would have been far too much.

Lots of complaints to P&O were met with, 'Should have used the app'. I checked the app and there was no port info.

That does strike me as particularly mean spirited on behalf of P and O.  It is quite possible that cruise lines are not allowed to go into town any more, but at least passengers should be given information so that if they prefer town to the science park they can at least share a taxi with others, or there are probably buses into town; it is just straight up one very long street, if I recall properly.  Helpful info. on that would make a difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That does strike me as particularly mean spirited on behalf of P and O.  It is quite possible that cruise lines are not allowed to go into town any more, but at least passengers should be given information so that if they prefer town to the science park they can at least share a taxi with others, or there are probably buses into town; it is just straight up one very long street, if I recall properly.  Helpful info. on that would make a difference.

Apparently other cruise lines are still using the old town drop off for their shuttles, but I doubt P&O will divulge why they have changed, is it a shorter distance therefore less costly, is some organisation paying them to use the science park, I guess we will never know.

Edited by terrierjohn

In that case that is I would guess the reason.  I would be hopping mad - the Science Park is worthy of a special visit, lots to see and do, but a long way from town, which is well worth strolling round the first time you visit Valencia.  The indoor market is fantastic, for one.  I am pretty sure it is a shorter distance to the park, and likely that the town authorities would prefer that cruisers went there.  Nuff said?

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

See post #7

• 3 weeks later...

Same drop off for Iona last Sunday.  Horizon mentioned it was going to be here and a lengthy walk to the centre.  But there was a large shopping centre opposite too if we needed it.

I walked through the park to the town centre.  Took a good half hour.  On the way back I caught the metro (busman's holiday) to Alameda, walked out into the park and straight back, again took 25 mins.  Not sure I gained anything other than more park.  There looks to be a tram line 10 to the south of the science park, the shuttle bus crossed its track.  I'll investigate that as not 100% sure how close to the centre it goes.

I'll also drop in a shameless for my map of shuttle buses

• Thanks 1